can't afford moon discs Soooo.....

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
I'll make my own, Rat style!. I'll try a test set w/ a pair of cheap Trash Can Lids!, [ i've noticed there is a veriety of diffrent styles and patterns of lids to choose from when I researched it. [google trash can lids and checked hardware stores].
IMG_0113cc.jpg

ooooooppssss! cut starter holes, outside hole is on inside of line,.. oops should be on outside of line...o well keep going!
IMG_0117c.jpg

IMG_0118c.jpg

Galvinized metal is really hard to patina or make like they've been out side for 20 yrs!
IMG_0001c-4.jpg

soo.. I'll just paint to look like they were'nt Galvinized? i.e. rusty
IMG_0008c-1.jpg

O.K. finished product
IMG_0112c.jpg

IMG_0114c.jpg

herr_rudolf said:
BRILLIANT IDEA! 8)
(There should be a gallery-thread dedicated to this sort of brilliant ideas.)

And now I wonder how they would've looked without the 'rust'-treatment...
(and how much it will cost to buy 4 trashcans ofcourse... :wink: )

Well my trash can lids were $5.00 a piece. I thought about leaving them "old galvinized look" but I painted them to match the bike

I think I might build one of these :mrgreen: Thanks for the idea :wink:

Excellent idea! Another thing with galv. stuff is muratic acid to weather it just be careful .

*buys trash can lids* several hours of sanding later "NOW all i have to do is soak it in salt water!" :mrgreen:

outsider13 said:
And now I wonder how they would've looked without the 'rust'-treatment... (and how much it will cost to buy 4 trashcans ofcourse... :wink: )[/quote said:
Well my trash can lids were $5.00 a piece. I thought about leaving them "old galvinized look" but I painted them to match the bike

Ah, 5 bucks a piece is very do-able.
...but, overhere in Holland these sort of trashcans are considered either vintage, retro, or even exotic. I'll have to buy complete cans and pay 40,- Euros a piece. (that's 57,- USD a piece!!!) :shock: If I have to pay thát kind of money I'd rather save that little extra and buy the spun aluminum 'trashcan-lids' from Moon-equipment :wink:

But your idea is worth a million bucks. I just have to find something else big, domed, and round, and made of metal.

The fake patina looks great. Just wondering how a shiny one would look on a wheel.

herr_rudolf said:
outsider13 said:
And now I wonder how they would've looked without the 'rust'-treatment... (and how much it will cost to buy 4 trashcans ofcourse... :wink: )[/quote said:

Ah, 5 bucks a piece is very do-able.
...but, overhere in Holland these sort of trashcans are considered either vintage, retro, or even exotic. I'll have to buy complete cans and pay 40,- Euros a piece. (that's 57,- USD a piece!!!) :shock: If I have to pay thát kind of money I'd rather save that little extra and buy the spun aluminum 'trashcan-lids' from Moon-equipment :wink:

But your idea is worth a million bucks. I just have to find something else big, domed, and round, and made of metal.

The fake patina looks great. Just wondering how a shiny one would look on a wheel.
Or you could try this...
http://bikerodnkustom3.homestead.com/mo ... build.html

Here is another pic of still shiney disc on rim.
IMG_0054c.jpg

The shineyness really shows the wrinkles.

Thanks for posting ^this^ pic!

outsider13 said:
...The shineyness really shows the wrinkles.

Yeah... you're right about that. It's a shame really. Although.. You still can get away with a lot on a ratrod-bike!

The ribs on these lids reminded me of the Starburst Moondiscs which I think are awesome. But like you said, shiny metal shows too much wrinkels. However, the 3-4 inner ribs are (almost) perfectly smooth! Why not paint the remaining outer ribs a dark contrasting color and leave the inner ribs shiny metal. I bet that will make them kinda look like the hotrod-classic steelwheel and hubcap:

moondisc_2.jpg

moondisc_1.jpg

Don't get me wrong by the way: I love your patina!! But your idea could be the start of something bigger... I see lots of spin-off hotrod ideas!!!
8)

StepChld said:

I saw this link before and it's really intriguing. I'd really like to try that one out, but it seems like a lot of work... Very rewarding though if you can that fiberglassed spandex right...
8)

herr_rudolf said:
Thanks for posting ^this^ pic!

outsider13 said:
...The shineyness really shows the wrinkles.

Yeah... you're right about that. It's a shame really. Although.. You still can get away with a lot on a ratrod-bike!

moondisc_2.jpg

moondisc_1.jpg

Don't get me wrong by the way: I love your patina!! But your idea could be the start of something bigger... I see lots of spin-off hotrod ideas!!!
8)

:shock: :shock: :idea: :idea: :idea: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I don't get you wrong ,I get you right! Thats why I post Ideas I like more input to the idea, Those discs you photo shopped are way cool. Great idea to an Idea! :shock: :idea: :mrgreen:

Latest posts

Back