Can you put balloon tires on a 1955 Schwinn middleweight?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I just bought a frame that I hoped to fix up as a balloon tire cruiser but I think I bought the wrong type of frame. Can I still put the larger style tires on this frame? I havent purchased the front forks yet. Any suggestions to salvage this idea or do I need to start from scratch? Thanks.

You can put 2.125 (balloon) tires on the frame, but you may or may not be able to use the fenders. Sometimes you can get away with using the fenders, depending on the brand of tire - not all 2.125's are created equal.

Crassly said:
You can put 2.125 (balloon) tires on the frame, but you may or may not be able to use the fenders. Sometimes you can get away with using the fenders, depending on the brand of tire - not all 2.125's are created equal.
Thanks, that helps alot.

Crassly said:
Should I buy the middleweight style front fork? Or is there better vintage schwinn front fork option? What are the other differences on the middleweight frame from the balloon style?

I know little-to-nothing about the nuances of Schwinn's. But, for giggles last night I put a Schwalbe Fat Frank (26 x 2.35) on a 70s Heavy-Duti fork. I think they were middleweight bikes, it fit easily. Now, as for clearance in the rear.....no clue.

Just my .02

Cheers,
Dr. T

I've put 2.125s on Schwinn lightweight forks, the rear is where you might have clearance issues.

My 1960 Speedster middleweight with Nirve Bad A$ $ 2.125.
4903436526_0f7907b831_b.jpg
Great fit!

My '61 American with 2.125" square-shouldered tires:

P1012573a.jpg

I will note that my front fender was too bent to fit with the tire, and on the rear, the wheel has to be very true to keep from rubbing. But otherwise, the tires fill up the fenders and look great, IMHO.

Hoffy said:
I just bought a frame that I hoped to fix up as a balloon tire cruiser but I think I bought the wrong type of frame. Can I still put the larger style tires on this frame? I havent purchased the front forks yet.

Yes

Latest posts

Back