Can you accelerate rust?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK I am finally gonna give up my secret rust sauce formula..

put 1/2 cup muriatic acid in a small acid proof container (not metal!) and add 6 inches or so of bare copper speaker wire (or any fine strand copper) and give it a couple days to dissolve the copper.

add 1/4 cup of the now green/yellow acid/copper solution to a gallon of water and thats it. just spray/brush it on bare steel and it will rust overnight. the higher the humidity the faster it works.. :mrgreen:

Wow! That's quite a recipe! Nice though. Did you learn that trick from the hotrod crowd or something or was it a homebrew?

And where is muratic acid sold off-the-shelf, Home Depot/Lowes?

I got this recipe from a guy that does metal sculptures, I was doing some steam punk PC cases and had used a similar product that was $10 for 6oz.!!
so when I needed a bunch I started asking around on teh metalworking forums about making my own and finally talked this guy outa his recipe..

muratic acid is used in swimming pools, any hardware store or place that sells pool stuff will have it.. heres the forks off my spaceliner 1 day after I Jabsco stripped the old paint off em... :mrgreen:

DSC03133.jpg

Very interesting concoction. Does it do anything over chrome? I have a cheap repop springer that needs some rust!

We had a salt spray tank at work to simulate environmental exposure. Real fun way to ruin things.

g-ratter said:
Any idea why the piece of copper?
no its still orange, I guess its to promote oxidation, but I honestly don't know, but it doesn't work nearly as well without it.. :roll:

Latest posts

Back