Can I prime and paint over light oxidization?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm prepping my Prewar Elgin for paint. Just finishing up bead-blasting and sanding. Though there is still some light surface oxidization and such...no rust. More like "color" or "orange hue" than oxidization really.

Is this okay to prime over and do a professional paint job? Or does the metal need to be perfect? I am not concerned with ripples or waves as I'll be doing multiple coats and wet-sanding. I am more concerned about any of the new paint being ruined later in life from underlying oxidization.

IMG_4223.jpg

IMG_4222.jpg

IMG_4224.jpg

I have primed metal parts in that sort of state(just done my boys old sissy bar which looks like that sort of color on your frame) with no problems at all,keep in mind I only have used spraycans not propper sprayguns,but have had no problems over the years of painting but I do use a rust inhibitor primer rather than ordinary gray primer,oxidation only occurs with contact with air so once primered that will be stopped,frame just needs to be wiped down with a cloth that doesnt leave any tiny bits of fabric behind

well....if you want it to keep rusting(yes even if its painted it will still rust!)then yes....
have it soda blasted dont touch it with bare skin(that will make it start rusting right away even if you cant see it) hang it and shoot it with a 2k epoxy primer(i use ppgs dp90lf ) that will seal it and prevent it from rusting
or you can sand it down and hit it with some metal prep(its an acid that will etch and seal the metal as well....that take longer though and if you dont know what youre doing itll flash rust and youll be doing it all over again)but thats a long and wet process..

Latest posts

Back