Can anyone identify this Fleetwing ?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
O, my bicycle gurus..anyone have the info on this Fleetwing bicycle, anyone familiar with it. Owned one? Fixed one up?
It looks like perhaps 70s era. Ad says nothing about tire size or how many speeds, but it looks like classic sturmey /similar 3 speed English Bike.
Now, I did search, I'm not that lazy, and I got many results for Fleet Wings , fleetwings all over the place, some made in Buffalo, some made by Higgins, a couple made for a dept. store in N.Y., a couple made in Germany, even a Fleetwing from France. everything but a Fleetwing made in England. :whew:

Here's the ad info.
Classic Ladies Bicycle - $75
Very good condition Classic Ladies Fleetwing Bicycle. Made in England. Needs a little work. New tires ready to put on...
That's it.

It has two new tires pictured ready to put on. Looks pretty cool, I like the fenders, the seat, the frame, lights, grips, etc and basically any older bike with two new tires going for 75 bucks is a good deal, to my way of thinking anyway..Generally, the
English 3 speeds are not a real strong seller around where I live, but we all know there's more than 75 bucks worth of parts on it.
Help a fellow RRb'r out, whad'ya say?
fleetwing.jpg
fleetwing2.jpg
fletwing3.jpg

:happy:
Thanks
Franco

Store brand...maybe built by Raleigh? Two-digit date stamp ought to be visible on the SA rear hub, which is a three-speed as you predicted. No coaster. Wheels/tires are likely ISO 590 commonly found on these bikes--they're not compatible with 559 ballooners, MTBs, or cruisers. Bottle generator works? It's a curiosity in this day of cheap, bright LEDs and rechargeable batteries.

It isn't my style, so I'd take a pass, but it could make a nice rider for someone. Its value as a parts bike is questionable, based on my arguments above. You'll have to decide its worth to you.

At the very least, make sure the included new tires are the RIGHT tires for this application. They are likely 26 x 1 3/8 (ISO590)--a fractional measurement.

I agree with RustySprockets, the date will be seen on the Hub shell, 2 digits like 68, meaning 1968.
upload_2017-4-25_20-42-55.jpeg

In 1960 Raleigh bought out all the other English brands but still made bikes with those names along with the Raleigh bikes. Raleigh bikes were a little more high quality while all the rest were good, different names but all the same bikes. Men's version of yours:
26-vintage-hercules-english-3-speed-bicycle-99-severna-park-americanlisted_29473183.jpg

Hercules, Phillips, BSA, to name a few names. Your bike is one of them. The forks, frame and hardware are identical. Folks over in England have ridden those bikes as their only transportation for years, they hold up well. And as stated above, your tires are only 26 x 1 3/8ths, not a decimal size nor 1 3/4s. And also, that bike has little wear on it so it should be in good mechanical condition. Those bikes are fairly common, they show up from time to time. You can't match the quality today for 75 bucks. If someone needed parts, those parts would be in excellent condition for sale purposes. Me, I would shine it up, tune it up and keep it for "guests" to ride when visiting.

yes...thanks guys for those observations. very helpful information
I've had a couple of these older 3 spds. still have a couple , one made by Vista that is quite similar.
I have tubes that size in my stock..grabbed some 26" tubes at Wmarts and got home and they were x 1 3/8
These are indeed nice riding bikes..I fix & sell regular bikes to 'reg'lar people saving any ridable bike from the landfill...and these riders are a hard sell, that always baffles me, I think I've only sold one or two max. so usually I shy away...this one just caught my eye

ironically, I sell more fixed up little kids bmx bikes than anything..mothers - children, you know how that goes.
:happy:

F.

The Murray Eliminator site indicates that Murray Ohio (also) built bicycles with the brand name "fleetwing" but for the Jordan Marsh & Company Department Stores, Boston, Mass. Wiki says they opened a Miami store in 1956.

"Florida's high fashion department store" may be where the FL bike is from?

Last edited:
The Murray Eliminator site indicates that Murray Ohio (also) built bicycles with the brand name "fleetwing" but for the Jordan Marsh & Company Department Stores, Boston, Mass. Wiki says they opened a Miami store in 1956.

"Florida's high fashion department store" may be where the FL bike is from?

Nope...this one is definitely English. It has the union jack right on the headbadge.

Nope... English
Maybe..."also" was meant in addition to other manufacturers, (such as Rally).
Perhaps, this one may have been made in England (as originally posted) and sold from "the store with the Florida flair" (Jordan Marsh).
Additional info on the bicycle's Florida connection.
Sorry, if I created any confusion.

Last edited:
Montgomery Wards sold a lot of English bikes, and Sears sold a lot of West German bikes that were lightweights like the English bikes.

Maybe..."also" was meant in addition to other manufacturers, (such as Rally).
Perhaps, this one may have been made in England (as originally posted) and sold from "the store with the Florida flair" (Jordan Marsh).
Additional info on the bicycle's Florida connection.
Sorry, if I created any confusion.

My bad. I failed to follow the logic thread there, but clearly this bike made it across the pond somehow. Your theory is as good as any, and better than most.

Latest posts

Back