Can anybody help ID this bike?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Looks similar to a Higgins. Front has a painted on badge- looks like "aero wind" or something. Here's a few pics:
b81d68baa81c1ce6f9b763aa11b454f7.jpg
762995f12959491a24c5584c5651853a.jpg

803e815588a3e9ff1a644d8c2fbc86c0.jpg

8383e743e8dbeec39ab181ad4e104ff6.jpg

It's a Murray frame...no doubt about it. It wears very recognizable dropout spurs and the proper chainring. The bike probably started out a lot like this 1965 Murray Missile.

IMG_1472.jpg

The name Aerowind could be a bit of a red herring here. That name was famously worn by a Huffy road bike in the early 1980's, but I'm not sure there was ever a trademark on it. I'll peruse some Sears catalogs of the mid-60's to see if they sold a similar model under that moniker.

I bet it was this one...

SearsBike.png

The wrap-around tank/light would explain the ghost-line present on your headtube, as well as the lack of a true badge. By this point, Sears had already abandoned the JCHiggins branding. The Aerowind decal, while obviously old, may not be original to the bike.

Agree with Rusty on a Murray frame. Sears bikes (JC Higgins until 1963) had a 502 on the serial number and a catalog number that you could look up to see which model and what year they offered it. Here's plenty of info on the Murray serial numbers.
It looks like late 50's/ early 60's. I'm guessing the Aerowind is a sticker someone put on there, but you never know.

Any numbers on the bottom bracket?

http://thecabe.com/forum/threads/murray-serial-number-project.7014/

GOOD CALL! I hadn't noticed the stamping on the left dropout and my weak eyes can barely read it anyway. Looks like it might begin with MO8...so it's a Murray, 1968.

I thought about that one, but the stain on the headtube doesn't quite match the distinctive Edsel-like outline of that light cluster. Other than that, I'd say it's pretty dang close.

The cantilevered frame (pictured) has seat stays that continue to the outside of the down tube, which must be a simpler design. The Meteor is unlike the earlier/concurrent Murray Missiles, which had stays that were attached behind (or atop) the down tube and spaced more closely together.

Why didn't they just build them that way in the first place, in 1961 - maybe they were trying to keep the "speed-weight" look of the "Strato-Flite" models, with its double-twin tubes (4-bars), so they could share the same tank.

Last edited:
My 1963 Murray-built has the distinctive pointy drop-outs, and tight cantilevers, similar to Rusty's Missile.
upload_2017-6-12_16-48-43.png

So these frames were designed for middleweight tires, but if it has already lost its fenders, it should fit 2.125" wide balloon tires.

I bet it was this one...

SearsBike.png

The wrap-around tank/light would explain the ghost-line present on your headtube, as well as the lack of a true badge. By this point, Sears had already abandoned the JCHiggins branding. The Aerowind decal, while obviously old, may not be original to the bike.

There's also a ghost line where the chainguard wraps around the bottom frame tube

Here are some examples of the lights, integrated with the tank, (I believe introduced new in 1962):
Blue (w/outside cantilevers):
upload_2017-6-13_10-14-59.png

Red (w/ tight canti's):
upload_2017-6-13_10-15-26.png

Red (w/outside canti's below):
upload_2017-6-13_10-16-31.png

It should be noted that the girl's tank or light fixture do not readily fit the boy's bike frames.

Last edited:
Fleet Wing was a store brand, don't know which, probably a more obscure chain. Dating back to late 30's, and not usually associated with Murray. By the mid '60s, they were selling mostly import bikes. -Adam

Latest posts

Back