Campground Cruiser **FINISHED**

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OMG. I have been looking at vintage weather stations. I have been trying to incorporate a small set down my tank. I cant wait to see how you do this
These particular gauges are a bit large at 4" to run down the top. I think I will be doing a pair of plywood cut outs and using 1 gauge on each side. That leaves me with an extra gauge...not sure about that one yet. I really didn't care for the reproduction tank. Again the gauges were to large to sit flush and the chrome was cheap looking. I'll save it for another project.

These particular gauges are a bit large at 4" to run down the top. I think I will be doing a pair of plywood cut outs and using 1 gauge on each side. That leaves me with an extra gauge...not sure about that one yet. I really didn't care for the reproduction tank. Again the gauges were to large to sit flush and the chrome was cheap looking. I'll save it for another project.
Good to know, I've been looking at the re-pop tanks. How sturdy does it look/feel?

Cheap looking stickers and and feels almost like a thick beer can. The chrome doesn't work with vintage chrome.

I have looked at many sites trying to find a smaller diameter set and had no luck They all seem to be the same size. If I had that frame and tank set up, i would look at two headlight housings and mount them inside those like instruments, whoever it was that mentioned that idea is a genius. I may go that route myself

Another option since you have the ability to fabricate a tank, how about making the sides follow the lower frame tubes and then come up an inch or two over the top tube. Then the gauges could be mounted in a row from front to back

Not trying to tell you what to do here, i have been trying to figure out how to mount a set myself for at least a week. My top tube is straight but Im doing a chopper and just gotta have a tank on it

Good luck with your build however you do it

I did consider a panel along the lower tube, but decided I wanted to see the gauges from either side. I have never fabricated a tank and am looking forward to it.

I am kinda doing this on the fly no real design on paper, a very small budget which has already been exceeded and a 15' x 15' townhouse patio, no garage or shop and a sorry set of tools.

If I could only use the shop at work for personal projects....i still dont know where I will rattlecan my parts. My building is restricted to what different parts I can acquire and make work together. Everyone on here is creative in their own ways. Ive had one successful build and one was a catastrophic failure. Awesome on paper but I couldnt make it work

Do what makes you happy. Its all in fun

f9ae0917975cde219481cb2d5d684a26.jpg
1cfad5a16840a5fb8634422ccdf22fe4.jpg

No turning back

f9ae0917975cde219481cb2d5d684a26.jpg
1cfad5a16840a5fb8634422ccdf22fe4.jpg

No turning back
If you want to "weather" that wood some, sand it down, wet it lightly with a paper towel, let it dry. Repeat till it stays smooth. I used a new stain, Min-wax Weathered Oak, on my Shelby Woody last Fall. Really happy with the result!

I honestly don't miss living in the desert, 17 years later and I still check my boots every time I put them on.
Due to the high temperatures now, I am limited to a couple of hours early on weekend mornings.
Now that I have the tank figured out and the little bit of accent painting finished, Its leaves with pretty much just putting everything together. I have most of the parts ready to go. I need to come up with a rear rack idea. I have some ideas on the rack. I am also still hunting lights. I missed out on some vintage head and tail lights today on e-bay, ....!!

The tanksides look great. I had to give up on the weather gauge idea for my bike. Good luck working in that heat, too hot for me

Latest posts

Back