CALIFORNICATION - Custom Western Flyer build.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: CALIFORNICATION - Shimmering Orange Metal Flake!

thebigorangecat said:
PAINT IS DONE! 8 COATS OF RATTLE CAN CLEAR OUGHT TO DO THE TRICK.

ANYONE EVER PUT CAR WAX OR SIMILAR PRODUCT OVER A FINISHED BIKE PAINT JOB????????????????????????

"8 cans" made me snort. :lol: And I've been a-scairt to do anything remotely abrasive to the rattle-can paint on my bikes.

Coats or Cans? :lol:

I ended up 2000 grit wet sanding the first coat of clear that was over the glitter/flake in order to knock it down a bit. It smoothed out the finish, but dulled it a bit at the same time. It did bring out the "gold" in the flake a bit more. I then hit it with a light coat of the clear orange one more time and then laid on the clear varnish spray can. 8 coats/2 cans of it. I would say with over spray only about 50% of the paint hit the frame.

That is where the increase in looks is almost an extra factor in cost of paint and time sanding and buffing.

I can see why you want to confirm adding car wax will not damage all you hard work done already.

outskirtscustoms said:
Looks great. Nice color, what is it?

2013-06-01160509.jpg

Gold base coat over white primer, then glitter, then clear orange, then more glitter, then more orange and lots of clear!

Re: CALIFORNICATION - It's a roller!

thebigorangecat said:
Help me pick a CHAIN Color!

Chime in below...............................................
CHROME,SILVER OR BLACK

Re: CALIFORNICATION - Help me pick a CHAIN color...........

based on on your high roller inspiration, go with yellow.

I say chrome so the fork and bars are not the only chrome things on the bike.

thebigorangecat said:
outskirtscustoms said:
I say chrome so the fork and bars are not the only chrome things on the bike.

Cranks and chainwheel spider are chrome, it's a tough balance!
Make it chrome. So then it will be alternating.

I don't think anything orange would blend well. I agree with you that the chrome may be too much too.
The first thing I thought of was Black and then I went back through you thread and saw Steve's black chain. I definitely think Black!!!
SWEET RIDE !!!!!!! Wicked paint work!

I would vote chrome first then black.

Depends upon what look you are tying together.
To me the chrome would go with the bars ,rims etc and not distract from ou frame colour.

Black could also work but I'm not experienced enough to forsee how much it would distract from the frame if you had a black front cog and chain.

I'm gonna say chrome, I think it will go nice with the fork :wink:

kingfish254 said:
I don't think anything orange would blend well. I agree with you that the chrome may be too much too.
The first thing I thought of was Black and then I went back through you thread and saw Steve's black chain. I definitely think Black!!!
SWEET RIDE !!!!!!! Wicked paint work!

Exactly what I was thinking. I tried to look at them in the shop yesterday, but without the bike it was pretty hard to decide. Never imagined choosing the chain would be the hardest part of the build! I'm taking the bike to the shop today and just hold them all up to the frame! If not black then a dark, dark, pewter/steel color?

kingfish, what build is steve's???

Latest posts

Back