Building frame from Scratch

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm trying to build a 1911 Indian motorcycle bicycle frame from thin air and can't for the life of me find a single dimension for the thing. I've found the repop schwinn springer forks online and called for the specs but am still having trouble working out the headset angle and seat angle that is remotely rideable for a regular sized human. How are you guys building these things? What measurements are you going off of?

Wow! First off, very cool that you are giving scratch building a try!

1: For something like that, unless you can find one to measure off, find a good photo of one directly side on.
2: Work out what wheels you will be using, for instance you may want to use 26" wheels with 26x2 tires.
3: Now with one measurement fixed (the wheel size) you can scale the rest from the photo.

That is a very basic way to do it, but most builds will start there.

What I do next is import that photo into a program like Paint.net (A free program developed by MIT that combines a windows paint style set up with the functionality of some of the more feature packed Adobe products.) and add a second layer over the top of the photo and start drawing out the wheels and basic frame, pretty soon I end up with a design I like and can scale to full size from there onto a build board, then it is just a matter of building it!

Luke.

Well I've got bikeCad Pro which allows me to put in all the demesions and lets me mess with the scale but when I don't have a remotely close size to work off of my scale is just too small or too big.

Man. I just use a pencil draw a design, then graph it out in 1/1 scale on some 36" masking paper. You can use your wheels as reference since they will be a specific size and you can divide that to however many inches or centimeters you want. As for fitting it to a person. Just sit on it and figure what legs and arm extension you want. No need for crazy wirebox programs. Pencil,paper,and rudimentary math. It works although doesn't look quite as impressive as a well rendered cad drawing, but I like drawing anyhow.

I'm with Sensor. I draw out on paper what I want it to look like, then I take a bike frame that's comfortable for me, and take some measurements. Then I adjust those measurements how I want to (more reach to the cranks, more stretch, etc.). Then I build it. Sometimes from a life sized template that I drew by hand (making look as much like the small drawing I did as I can), sometimes I don't, and I just try to upscale it in my mind.

I am 5'9'' and two measurements I found necessary in my frame
builds were, 10'' from the front of the BB to the back of the
front tire, and 23 1/2'' from the back of the BB to the top
of the seatpost clamp. If these were followed and you
watch your chainline you wound up with a ridable frame, that
was confortable and you didn't hit your foot on the back of the
tire when you pedaled. Just my two cent though. One last thing
a 30 degree neck rake looked good and didn't flop. Good luck building.

i know the wheels of Boardtrack racers were 28" , so 700c/29er would be the most accurate wheel to start with . if you want to make the 1914 indian daytona , i took days and days 3d modeling a replica form all the pictures availlable on the web, its all made in proportion and pretty accurate IMO and ive been told... (edit) there you go , frame blueprint without perspectives
1914%20Daytona%20indian%20frame%20blueprint_zpsya3ncwg7.jpg

1914IndiandaytonaFromthereelOwner.jpg

Last edited:
BEAUTIFUL modeling OHP!!!!:113:
thank you sir , that is what i am best at in fact , i have other btr and tones of classic cars and other stuff done

VERY COOL! I've been modelling since like 1988. First with the most crude AutoCAD, then switched to SolidWorks in 1995 (first year it came out). I've been modelling in SolidWorks since then. I taught myself Alias (fricken TOUGH!) but didn't "keep it up" due to most of the design work is for mechanical components that will end up on one of my CNC machines, luckily my clients don't need a "glossy presentation".
And thus, when i see top-shelf modelling... I'm impressed!!!

What softwares are you using?
Google sketchup7 free version , to poor to get anything else and with about 15years of practice you can make miracles with this basic software ;) iam not big on renders tho
real_time_1912%20Renault%20Coupe%20deVille%20model5_zpsarbdtzvp.jpg
real_time_Twisted%20Low-rider%20Bike1_zpsd5glzyob.jpg

Last edited:
http://www.wheelsthroughtime.com

Contact these guys, may have seen them on TV. They probably have a frame to take dimensions from.
Dale is a good guy, I have no doubt he'd be willing to get dimensions for a build like this.
Unfortunately, this member hasn't been on site for nearly 2 years. I don't think we'll be seeing this finished any time soon.
laney Eddington updates ? have you started or finish this project ? i wan't to see that !:)

Latest posts

Back