BUILD OFF #7 DISCUSSION

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Haha!

This build-off has been fun and so was the last one, but everyone is really drawing things out now. The votes are in, I don't see any upsets at this point. Congrats to the winners.

But why does it have to stop now? There is another forum in here called "Builds" I promise it's there, I've seen it. My G.I.JESSE JAMES is over there as well as a couple more unfinished build-off bikes, plus lots of other SUPER cool bikes that didn't fit into the build-off for one reason or another. I also am building a BMX bike in the Vintage BMX forum (Look for it, it's there, promise). And I need to get my motorized bike going before the end of the month and it's all in pieces now, we have a forum for that too.

If you are chomping at the bit for more build action, look around the site and spread the love, some people need some build encouragement.

I am also planning an "antique" tall bike build that should be different than anything I've seen before, nothing crazy, just a tall bike build with old frames and all the stuff I usually leave off my tall bikes like fenders, chain guards, rack, and the like.

The build-off was awesome and another will roll around in about 9 months, but till then, keep the camaraderie strong throughout the rest of the site (and you might just earn some fans that will come out and vote for you next year and maybe help me reach the mysterious double-digit vote mark).

Well I am not sure about the carwash idea but I think most people can pick out a rider. Different people have different criteria for voting and some people could care less if the bike is rideable. I saw a local lowrider that you couldnt even pedal without the pedals hitting the ground...yet people were ooohing and aaahing over it.

My bike is a great rider. Ive had it over 20mph and logged quite a few miles. I have the seat slammed which isnt the best riding position but raising it a few inches and it rides as good as a store bought cruiser. Horn, headlight, tail light and speedo are all functional and not just for looks. Im not sure how much that matters but to me the challenge was building a fully functional bicycle without sacrificing style.

My bike was built 100% functional... I don't think I could build a bike I couldn't ride. I'm too practical to waste time and money on something I couldn't use.

With that being said, I don't live in a big city, so my bikes have to get ridden 10+ miles for me to even get anywhere.

I don't know, it's hard for me to get bent out of shape about building bikes. It's just too much fun. I need to finish my tadpole trike, and the next thing I'd like to tackle as a builder is a tallbike. I need to get some use out of my welder!

FunkyStickman said:
I don't know, it's hard for me to get bent out of shape about building bikes. It's just too much fun.

Yeah, I agree. I mean I personally build bikes to ride, but I can appreciate each and every build in the build off. I figure whatever someone builds is cool in its own way.

ATOMIC PUNK is big, heavy, hard to move around my shop, hard to get out of the doorway of my shop, it needs a football field to turn it around......................but it rides great, looks cool, and I love it :D :D

Peatbog said:
One thing I noticed during this gig is several people, probably new people, commenting on how they think this would be fun, but they don't see how they can complete. That is bad news right there. We have to make sure that everyone sees this as a fun build off first and foremost, and a competition only secondarily. Scaring people off isn't good. How do you get more people involved? How do you make sure they feel welcome no matter their abilities, skills, or $ bicycle level? I don't know, but it needs to be considered.

I am not sure what else we could do about that. I mean pretty much all the builders are supportive, they seem to stress the "fun" aspect and that the idea here is to build something and not win. From what I can tell, it appears that there were more finished entries this year, so at least it seems to be growing. This was my first build off and really my first ground up build. Personally I have had a blast the entire time. It is a great experience.

I'm newer to the forum and I have had a blast following the builds and gathering ideas! It gives me something to look forward to this time of year. I havn't received any negative comments to any questions that I have posted. Only genuine help. It's also funny to read people busting each others chops a bit. I'm already phsyched to enter next year. Got the juices flowing. Do I think I will win? I think that everyone that builds a bike that they like is a winner. Everything else is just icing on the cake.

Peatbog said:
Great! Another victim, er, I mean participate. Start collecting parts now, turtlesixfour. Will look forward to seeing your build.

I had a great idea for a RRBO8 bike. Decided to go ahead and get started on it about 9 months early! Watch for it in the build forum! :lol: :lol: :lol:
I guess I'll have to find something else to build next year.

Turtlesixfour said:
I'm newer to the forum and I have had a blast following the builds and gathering ideas! It gives me something to look forward to this time of year. I havn't received any negative comments to any questions that I have posted. Only genuine help. It's also funny to read people busting each others chops a bit. I'm already phsyched to enter next year. Got the juices flowing. Do I think I will win? I think that everyone that builds a bike that they like is a winner. Everything else is just icing on the cake.

You won't regret jumping in next year. RRB is a very positive and supporting community and the Build Off is the greatest show on earth!!!!

Congrats to MoFaux, Hot Rod Higgins, and Mosby's Raiders!

What an awesome trio of bikes to represent BO7!

There is so much coolness generated on these build off bikes, it is so dificult to catch all of it.
Don't forget to share some of you cool rides and cool details on the many different galleries that are on the forum.
Cman has done an awesome job of making a table of contents for them.
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=33427

If there is a cool element that you made that you don't see a gallery for, then create one. That's what I did for headlights and chainguards.

smiley_beat_dead_horse2.gif
:p

Latest posts

Back