Build: Cactus Hopper (FKA: Bean the Bike)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

metalchewy

For the love of the Ride 🚲 🔥
Pro Member
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I found an awesome run a couple months ago, but my bomber is too heavy to safely make the gap jumps.... yes, I could take my light specialized on them, it would be fun... but I want to build a custom Light rider that is strong enuff to handle some of my abuse, but light enuff to take the jumps safely. And ratty enuff to be cool to ride...

Enter this Free.99 generic frame I found on the side of the road next to a farm dumster for mr Trashman...

I knew it was light, but thought the sprabomb was covering a pacific, or cheep chinese label.... add a triple t shocked fork and looks a bit mean IMO. Found it is a Trek Singletrack 800

AT any rate. I think the frame is 4130, explaining the lightness of it. And It will be plenty strong to wreck on these hairy jumps I have planned for it.

Building... riding...

Never can tell what treasures people will throw out!
Looks like a nice start.
I know, right?? "Lets look for Treasure!! " is one of my favorite games.

I can tell by the components it had it was a nice one, but also see they are wore out. Bars were slightly bent. Have a couple kailn components to start with to replace them.

Will be replacing the cogs in the rear derailer. Front one is shot.
The front sprockets were shot also, a couple teeth gone one each one.
Probably will put a single up front to 8gears on the back. Originally thought 24speed, but dont want the front derailer hassles. .

Thinking of stripping the frame to metal and polishing it to a mirror shine (a lot of polishing work). To get to one of my two favorite colors... (black and Chrome) then spray head, tail and seat tube a dark metallic with a third bright color highlight.

Building... riding...

Another Functional mockup, took it around the big block. Shocks sound slurpy without end caps on them.

Rides pretty well. The twist shift catches 7 of the 8 gears. A little adjustment and it will be working fine until I figure out the replacement.

Building... riding...

I have a lot of yard work todo this weekend. I am hoping to strip this frame down and polish it. At leas maybe get the paint off.

Looks like 4130 to me. [emoji106]

A new wire brush cup for my angle grinder some emory and rouge, and a half dozen polishing discs and this will shine like wet chrome.....

Building... riding...

Picked up some CR250 bars on the cheap. Also been collecting some other components. Shimano trigger shift and derailer, and some grips have been had.
3c2b490fb8e4e917a34e71d7178d6caa.jpg

Just need a day with the polishing wheel and an afternoon thereafter with a can of paint

Latest posts

Back