Brown Sugar Stick A Fork In It! It's Done 7-11-11

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Brown Sugar RatRod clothesline 7-5-11

Hey look it's a ratrod clothesline!

Aint clotheslines great? I'm sure people drive down our road & wonder what's up with that guy. Ours always has something hanging on it, but rarely clothes! :lol: 8)

Bike is coming along great! I found two Grand Trophy bikes out at the local landfill a couple weeks ago, all they really need are some tires, tubes & a little TLC. Can't believe what people throw away!

Keep the pics coming! 8)

Re: Brown Sugar LED headlight conversion 6-28-11

If you use the "macro" setting on your camera, it'll take these close up pics nice & clear. :) Its looking great BTW!!

motopsyco said:
hedbadge.jpg

Re: Brown Sugar LED headlight conversion 6-28-11

motopsyco said:
This is my final decision on the woodgrain...
sorrywoodgrainfans.jpg

I am still trying to stick to my original plans :wink:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, I guess ya gotta' do what ya gotta' do. :(

I was diggin the woodgrain chainguard as well, but it ain't my build and it has to match the vision you have in your head, not mine.
By the way where did you get you tires? I have been looking around for a cheap resoruce of color cruiser tires.

kingfish254 said:
I was diggin the woodgrain chainguard as well, but it ain't my build and it has to match the vision you have in your head, not mine.
By the way where did you get you tires? I have been looking around for a cheap resoruce of color cruiser tires.
The tires came from ebay seller "cruisingthelowlife" he has a store somewhere.

Pick
"Bike is coming along great! I found two Grand Trophy bikes out at the local landfill a couple weeks ago, all they really need are some tires, tubes & a little TLC. Can't believe what people throw away!"

I know, some days you don't know whether to rejoice for the free (or really cheap) stuff :D , or hang your head and cry because our people are so wasteful. :cry:

Got the first color of the paint shot last night more updates soon!

Painting this one is a little strange feeling to me. Something makes me wanna fill in every pore with primer & putty, And the demons that haunt me want to know why I have not spent at least 10 or 12 hours wet sanding this thing. Plus I bought a quart of flat paint. :shock: No high gloss automotive or equipment enamels this time... Just to stay at my normal level of insanity I did use my Speedaire to spray the white with. The over spray was phenomenal!
Have gun will paint
loadedgun.jpg

Here are some of the parts after a couple of coats
color1.jpg

And here's the chain-guard with 2 colors on it! Yes, the speckled brown is from a spray can.
guardafter.jpg

Re: Brown Sugar "a lil bit o paintin" 7-6-11

I have made a very interesting accidental but artistically useful discovery. The brown on Brown Sugar here is this stuff.
stonepaint.jpg

Now the final color of most topcoats can be altered or controlled by the color of the surface below the paint, most colors (except for candies, and airbrush translucent) can usually overcome this with enough coats. When I painted the chain-guard and compared it to some smaller parts that were already done, the chain-guard had white flecks, while the other parts had black or red flecks depending upon which primer I had used. Apparently, some of the material used to form the texture of this paint is translucent, so you can alter the color just by spraying it over a different base! Way Kewl 8) So here's what came next.
First I took my solid white parts and taped them up in nice patterns
fenpaper.jpg

and sprayed some satin black on them
tnkpaper.jpg

After that I removed the paper leaving on the tape for the stripes on the parts.
fenbw.jpg

and then went to town with the rattle can and got this beautiful effect.
tnkafter.jpg

fenafter.jpg

This actually came out much better than my original plans! :D ( a solid brown fender w/ stripes )

Re: Brown Sugar "cool paint effects!" 7-9-11

Now you have granite fenders and tank. That is going to weigh a ton!
I like it!

K 8) 8) L! Looks great!

It's a FLINTSTONES bike WILMAAA !!! Great idea using granite paint can't wait to see finished bike !

Re: Brown Sugar "re-assembly teezer" 7-10-11

The brown granite really pops on that wihite.
Sweet!

kingfish254 said:
The brown granite really pops on that wihite.
Sweet!
I thought so too, so once again my plans are altered by visions of a better way. Have decided not to stain the white with wood stain. Of course that means I have to go out to the shed and clean all of the dadgum greasy finger prints off of it :shock:

The granite-look paint brings back memories of my Huffy Black Hills mountain bike with the same black and white splatter on grey background paint job. Looked like an old stove. Huffy sold many tons of these (heck, "A ton" would only be a few) back in the day. The bike was run over before I got it, bent, rusty, I rode it hard all winter (and summer), stored it outside, covered with stickers from various promotions, I added the ugliest fenders ever (finished off a few old cans of spray paint on them). It did a couple days on Ragbrai. I used to take it on the local racer training rides just to scare the newbs. Then someone still had to cut the lock and steal the bike. Oh well, it led me to a decent specalized rockhopper AI Comp FS as a replacement townie which I'll admit is a better bike in every way.

rick.

IMG_9429.jpg

rickpaulos said:
The granite-look paint brings back memories of my Huffy Black Hills mountain bike with the same black and white splatter on grey background paint job. Looked like an old stove. Huffy sold many tons of these (heck, "A ton" would only be a few) back in the day. The bike was run over before I got it, bent, rusty, I rode it hard all winter (and summer), stored it outside, covered with stickers from various promotions, I added the ugliest fenders ever (finished off a few old cans of spray paint on them). It did a couple days on Ragbrai. I used to take it on the local racer training rides just to scare the newbs. Then someone still had to cut the lock and steal the bike. Oh well, it led me to a decent specalized rockhopper AI Comp FS as a replacement townie which I'll admit is a better bike in every way.

rick.

IMG_9429.jpg

Great story and picture! I actually cut up 2 of the Huffy MTB to build a sculpture for someone. I that the spatter was from an accident, didn't know it was the factory color. Of course if someone stole that Huffy you may wish to hide the Specialized under the bed at night to keep it safe.

Latest posts

Back