Brown Sugar Stick A Fork In It! It's Done 7-11-11

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Basic facts
Bike: Early 70's Western Flyer (oops found the original chain guard it's a Grand Trophy not a Galaxy Flyer)
Plan: Get out of my comfort zone....

(Cue up slow Texicano blues guitar riff.... 8) )

My friends, they all told me,
oldie.jpg

Man, there's something gonna change your life.

My friends, they all told me,
parts.jpg

Man, there's something gonna change your life.

Gotta have that brown sugar.
parts2.jpg

Man it's just gonna change my life.

Man, I gotta have that brown sugar.
parts3.jpg

Man, it's just gonna make me feel so right.

(slow blues guitar mutates into rockabilly jam... 8) )

There's something make me feel good,
40yroldvirg.jpg

and it's gonna change my life.

There's something make me feel good,
moparts.jpg

and it's gonna change my life.

I gotta have some of that Brown Sugar,
usefulcorpse.jpg

Gotta try it before I die.

conversation.jpg

Til next time y'all keep the dirty side down

Re: Brown Sugar

hmmmmm......i'm gonna keep my trap shut :roll:
this whole game is for fun.
brown sugar better be sweet

Interesting way to approach the buildoff.... have fun!!... good luck!!!

deorman said:
beatcad said:
hmmmmm......i'm gonna keep my trap shut :roll:
this whole game is for fun.
brown sugar better be sweet
:lol: :arrow: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=13734&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=brown+sugar

Beatcad, that's just beautiful... :shock: lets just say I have a similar theme but some very different ideas

Road Master said:
Where do you guys find these talking bicycles?
They all talk to me, don't you hear them too? :mrgreen:

I was kind of expecting the Peugeot to have a french accent but that's a really creative into nonetheless :D Looking forward to how the mish mash works out!

Finally got to work on the bike some, been down with a miserable cold and then had to replace all the ball joints on my truck. Plus lot of overtime. God has still been great to me so I shouldn't complain.
On to the pictures!
58111.jpg

Imagine full fenders, truss rods and v-brakes?
58112.jpg

58113.jpg

As you can see the steering tube from the old Kent mountain bike is too short, but that's okay as I was looking for a way to lower this bike a little without it being extremely obvious.
58114.jpg

My goal here is sort of a phantom restoration, (no Schwinn fans not the restoration of a Phantom) to make this look like an original factory bike that never existed.

Got a little update today. As you may have noticed in the pics in my last post the fork I planned to use was bent so I balanced it between two blocks of wood and gave it a little tap with a 10 pound hammer and it actually straightened up without kinking or bending too far the other way. :D

The truss rods were still a little short. I tried re-bending them a little to reach the axles but then they didn't look right, and wouldn't clear the front brakes. So I tried to get them back as close to original as possible but that left me with this,
2short.jpg

Luckily I had some metal strips exactly the same width as the flat ends of the truss rods so I cut, marked, and drilled them.
markedup.jpg

Then I welded the extensions to them.
rdy2weld.jpg

Then bolted it all together
bolted.jpg

I have actually stuck a rear wheel and the handlebars I plan to use on it and rolled it outside for a mockup picture but at that moment my camera batteries died, and it was dark any way so I'll take that picture tomorrow if I get home from work on time.

Re: Brown Sugar Update! 5-11

Came home at lunch and took a couple of quick pictures while it was daylight. Glad I did because I wound up working late. This should give everyone an idea of where this is starting to go.
5123.jpg

A little better view here
5121.jpg

Now I just need to mount the front brake lever and run the cable for the brakes. At this point I am not sure about using the fender mount headlight that Is shown in the earlier pictures. What do you folks think?

Re: Brown Sugar Update! 5-12

parts2.jpg

^ This one?
At this point I don't think it'll fit your build. But maybe you have a rack in store for us with the same kind of square shapes.

The bike is comming along fine. Looking really cool in all it's under construction ratness. 8)

Wouldn't a front brake damage all the gool blackness that is on your wheel? I converted mine to a rearwheel footbrake so I don't have to run a front rimbrake, so I could paint my wheels black.

^ This one?
At this point I don't think it'll fit your build. But maybe you have a rack in store for us with the same kind of square shapes.
Yes, that one, I thought it was really cool when I got it but it just doesn't seem like it's going to work.

The bike is comming along fine. Looking really cool in all it's under construction ratness.
Thanks, I hope that in the end I can fight the urge to turn it into another super glossy kustom... :shock:

Wouldn't a front brake damage all the gool blackness that is on your wheel? I converted mine to a rearwheel footbrake so I don't have to run a front rimbrake, so I could paint my wheels black
The rim came off of the Roadmaster mountain bike pictured above. I figure if the paint didn't get ruined by now it will probably be okay. If it does well "mo rat = mo better!"I have a matching coaster brake rear wheel that I purchased from member ind-chuckz for a really good deal.
Trying for a heavy cruiser look like an old Harley FLH with apes, but mainly just having lots of fun watching months of scheming and planning get swept away by moments of inspiration and desperation.

Spent a little time Friday night in the shop fitting a few more pieces including a rear rack that I got from highwheelerboy25 (got the handlebars from him too) at the show and swap meet he put on back in February. You could say this build was inspired by parts I picked up there, old ZZ Top music, and of course a few bottles of nice dark brown lagers originating in various places around the planet.

Got a 36 tooth sprocket of of the little kids Huffy that donated its seat, pedals and grips for my pink Peugeot. The crank and chain guard came from the nice ladies Montgomery Ward pictured in earlier posts.
hanginout513.jpg

A little work with the grinder & drill and it fits right on :wink:

Re: Brown Sugar NON PROGRESS REPORT 5-24

I love the picture story that started this thread. Very creative, and anyone who quotes that little 'ol band from Texas gets my attention. :D Also love that colorful contraption and your story about your friend! You are on my "admired" list.

Great all 'round!

Latest posts

Back