British Experts needed

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is an old Hercules I got last summer. It has 28 inch wheels and is a 1 speed with coaster brakes. The Brake arm on the Perry hub says 09 40. This makes me think It is a 1940. The problem is this bike has a Camel back type frame. I have been on the internet for hours trying to find another frame like this and have not found one. The only thing that is mentioned is that this frame may have been made for the North American market to compete with the Balloon tired bikes of this era. Can anyone shed more light on this old timer.
bikesjan22011045.jpg

bikesjan22011046.jpg

bikesjan22011047.jpg

CCM made a lot of camelbacks, but I don't think that is what yours is. Maybe a Raleigh..?

Here are few CCM camelbacks...

4uz24w.jpg

25fmtzs.jpg

28j86yw.jpg

scrumblero said:
never seen one like that but, why do the old english bikes always have bent forks... :?
It's because they are all right hand steering, people over here usually crash them the first time they ride them.

Unchained Thanks For the info, I have a couple of CCM camel backs (39,64) and they do not match. As for Raleigh, Raleigh and hercules did not play well together until Raleigh bought Hercules in the Late 50's or early 60's Thanks tucker

I have a Hercules camelback too but mine had a different headbadge (big H with Hercules written underneath) and when I sanded mine down it said AMF on the seat tube.
P9170013.jpg

P9170014.jpg

Here's how it came to me and the headbadge

P9150193.jpg

P9150195.jpg

outskirtscustoms said:
I have a Hercules camelback too but mine had a different headbadge (big H with Hercules written underneath) and when I sanded mine down it said AMF on the seat tube.

Here's how it came to me and the headbadge

P9150193.jpg

and again with the bent forks I see... :p

hercules and ccm were tight. frame years are very difficult to pinpoint on herc frames.ccm sold bulk frames to amf abc hercules etc.ive saw hercules bikes in india with ccm frames. :D nice frame anyway.are those rims 28 c or b? i need to remember this stuff :( .

beast775 said:
hercules and ccm were tight. frame years are very difficult to pinpoint on herc frames.ccm sold bulk frames to amf abc hercules etc.ive saw hercules bikes in india with ccm frames. :D nice frame anyway.are those rims 28 c or b? i need to remember this stuff :( .
The wheels are Canadian 622's like the CCM's
The chain ring is hercules and the head badge. Maybe Hercules sent some parts to CCM and had them put on thier frame's? I am going to double check it with my 39 CCM as soon as the snow is gone.

I could assist in this. Hercules was indeed made by Raleigh in their factory, A few things I can point out is the Crank, it's pins, there for eliminating CCM. very few ccm where that kind. another thing is, look slosely at the stem or on crank and maybe other areas for a small logo
With this being said, It's a Raleigh. also if the tubes are still in there, they may even say raleigh on them.

My CCM. this is the look of a ccm.
100_2259.jpg

A Rlaeigh I have, this is basicly how a coaster brake raleigh is,. I'm not sure of how old this one was though, proberly 60's it looks new because it was nos when I got it. Because this one is actualy a raleigh it has the Raleigh forks on it
100_2136.jpg

Thanks Hsean I will look for the logo's The tires are so hard they will have to be cut off but the tubes should be there.
I love the norman, I was thinking of keeping this one stock, but I don't know now.
I got this bike 700 miles from home. We went to see a car collection (all pre 1915 stuff) This guys garage was like a 1917 Garage .It was fantastic. 1904 Rambler, 1912 EMF, 1915 Franklin ,Brass T Speedser and a Ner-A-car. The bike was in the corner covered in junk and had been there 45 years. The front tire was stuck to the cemment floor so bad, we had to cut it off with a knife. Sometimes the best part about a bike is the story that comes with it. Thanks for everyones help I will put the stove on in the shop and see what I Can find out. I will let you know. Tucker

Latest posts

Back