Brass Monkey (new-old bars)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Brass Monkey (update 7-20)

Sadly I don't have access to a pneumatic planishing hammer at the moment, so between the teardrop mallet and the "old school" planishing hammer my arm almost fell off!!!

great job on that tank :!: , i couldnt pull it off unless it was paper mache .... maybe then

Got the other half finished, so I decided to install them for a mock up.

001-1.jpg

Then I disassembled it for a trip to the media blaster to get them ready for paint and patina. More tonight hopefully.

Boneshaker said:
Sadly I don't have access to a pneumatic planishing hammer at the moment, so between the teardrop mallet and the "old school" planishing hammer my arm almost fell off!!!

You hammered that tank (piece of art) by HAND!.........You just moved up 5 spots, for my FAVORITE bike. :wink:

Very nice. Do you use a sand bag? This one's gonna be nice!

Boneshaker said:
ahhhhhhhhhhh............good old hammer and dolly i know that feeling well(everytime i get a door skin at work :roll: )
now did you file it at all? or just sand with paper?

Oh man, you guys are startin to put some pressure on now! I use a sandbag with a teardrop mallet for the rough shaping. Brass is really easy compared to steel, which is what I normally use. For the planishing, I use a stake instead of a dolly, It's much easier on the small pieces. I didn't go so far as to file or sand it, it IS a rat after all! But in all honesty if you don't mind the hammered finish you can get it smooth enough so that it doesn't matter anyway. The final pics will be small and blurry so that you guys don't see the "beauty marks"!!! :p

Okay, got the tank halves painted and patina-ed. (how do you spell that anyway?) Made a stencil for the letters and spray-bombed them. Lightly sanded to scuff them up. Broke out the torch and a couple of select chemicals and there you go:

001-2.jpg

Then I lightly steel wooled them and waxed them to preserve that factory finish :lol:

003.jpg

So then I thought I might as well bolt them on the frame. So I did. Then I painted the fork and thought, "you know, I'll just re-assemble them and put them on too. So I did.

005.jpg

006.jpg

Oh yeah I also did some more patina magic on the brackets and screws for the tank. Can't be havin any shiny metal here!

007.jpg

After all this the urge hit me. I modified the seat bracket and bolted all that on, stuck some handlebars and the crankset back on, threw the wheels on and cruised the hallways for about 30 min. And the pics are..........not to be seen HA HA HAAA!!!!!!!!! :p

Truthfully though, at this point I am EXTREMELY satisfied with this bike, and I still have lots to do! This is exactly the kinda bike I've been wanting for a long time.

Boneshaker said:
This is exactly the kinda bike I've been wanting for a long time.
This bike was definitely worth waiting for!

Re: Brass Monkey (update 7-23)

I admire the strict adhesion to the rat=no shine philosophy. They'll be no fresh paint on mine either. You said you used a stake for some pieces, I always wanted one of those cool Pexto stake bench's. I'm a fabricator myself.

Do you think you might go that route? It's hard, dirty but rewarding work. There's nothing like wearing the gear, sweating profusely on a hot summer day with the grinder dust sticking to your neck! If you do go that way, metal fabricator, learn math. The guys with brains get to do the good jobs.

Nope. Sculptor. And in grad school, too. I'm goin the artist/professor route. Which means I'll still be doin metal fab!!!

You know, I've never liked chrome fenders........until I found the right one.

001-3.jpg

It was the front fender that came with the springer. The bike seemed a little "thin" in the rear, especially with that springer up front. Thought it could use a fender, but knew it definitely had to be bobbed! Made a quick bracket for the bottom and welded it on.

002.jpg

Now just have to paint the bracket and patina the bolt and nut. I think the fender looks perfect.

Here's the seat I put on....that bolt has to be patinaed to match.

003-1.jpg

At this point the bike is fully rideable, but not finished. The forks are slightly twisted, so I'll have to straighten those out. Still looking for the right handlebars, and then just details after that. I know I'm being a little secretive right now, but I don't wanna give too much away!! But seriously though, criticism is welcome and invited!

Boneshaker said:
Nope. Sculptor. And in grad school, too. I'm goin the artist/professor route. Which means I'll still be doin metal fab!!!
I apologize, I mistakenly assumed you were attending trade school. Then as an art student you will no doubt recognize my utilization of the golden section in my dimensional proportioning applied to my rrbbo3 entry 'King Daddio'...... :wink: Yeah right. The golden section is about the only artistic concept I'm familiar with and if it did occur it was by accident. That bike your building looks great! Let's see them welds though, see what you got!

Boneshaker said:
ej599 said:
That bike your building looks great! Let's see them welds though, see what you got!

Oxy-acetylene, ARC, MiG, or tig???? :p
Well I really just wanted to see the weld on your fender but seein' how you asked! How about a little aluminum GTAW? I was doing some today and it never fails that I have to do aluminum (throws ALOT of heat) on the hot days.

Latest posts

Back