Bought Not Built

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
For the first time in over 30 years I bought a brand new bicycle. After years of chasing vintage parts I decided 2017 will be a year focused on actually riding a bike rather than scouring the web for just the right bits. Not saying I'm never going to build a bike again, but for the near future I'll be riding, not building.

I've always loved the Schwinn Sting-Ray (built several since I joined RRB) and when MBBO5 was completed, I started planning a Sting-Ray BMX build. I soon found that to build what I wanted I'd be spending quite a bit, and from riding my other builds, I knew it would be creaky and small. The Sting-Ray does fine around the cul-de-sac or on the boardwalk for leisurely rides, but for some real exercise, not so much. I opened my mind a little bit to bikes other than vintage USA-built and after some research decided to get a modern BMX bike. I want something that really gets my legs pumping, and helps me maintain what balance and coordination I have left. I'm fine with having to stand throughout the ride, and I'm really not into derailleurs and lycra.

Here in northern Virginia, road bikes are king, followed by mountain/hybrid style bikes. Most shops only carry one or two "children's" 20" bikes, but I did find one shop that catered a bit more to the BMX crowd. I thought I'd try a 24" cruiser, but they felt too big. Figured if I'm going to go bigger than 20" I should go all the way. I tried on a few 20" bikes and was really diggin' them when the sales guy pointed out this bike hanging from the ceiling (which I hadn't seen). It was love at first sight:

cozy2.jpg

She's a 2016 Sunday Broadcaster, 20.75" TT, full chromoly frame and fork, chromoly bars, aluminum double-walled rims, sealed hubs and BB, and 2.4" tires front and rear. Most importantly, she's "Slimer Green," which is practically an exact match for my favorite Schwinn color, Campus Green. Here she is next to my wife's Campus Green '68 Slik Chik...

cozy1.jpg

Once the weather gets a little warmer, I intend on starting out just learning how to ride and control this bike before I start working on some basic tricks. I'm a bit too old and brittle for some of the crazy stunts kids are performing today, but I definitely want to work my way up to some park riding eventually. Riding in a bowl looks like a heckuva lot of fun, but I've got to build some confidence and somewhat respectable skills before I give it a try.

I'm sure I'll personalize this bike to my liking, and maybe it'll be a scruffy rat someday after a lot of hard use. Love this forum a bunch - it's run well, the folks are great and the talent is astonishing. I'll probably end up building something again down the road, but this year I'm going to use it while I have it, if you know what I mean.

furyus

Last edited:
I'm with you on that, riding. I did the same thing and bought a new one, but I went cheap at walmart. Then I personalized it a little by changing tires and stripping it of fenders and chain guard.
But there will be no tricks for me, I had to explain to the ER Doc how I nearly broke my leg on my home made tall bike. I was in my 50's at the time. But this bike is to ride and cruise when ever and where ever.

DSCI0041.JPG

Anytime you get a walmart bike, you have to tear it completely apart, grease and adjust everything. Then baby it, no curbs, potholes or anything. You can probably count on the frame holding up though, everything else will bend or break very easily.

I'd rather buy a nice used Electra cruiser than a bike from Walmart. You end up paying about the same but the Electra is way better built with better materials. Also, not a bike snob at all but those Huffys and Schwinns with the fat ugly sausage forks don't do anything for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd rather buy a nice used Electra cruiser than a bike from Walmart. You end up paying about the same but the Electra is way better built with better materials. Also, not a bike snob at all but those Huffys and Schwinns with the fat ugly sausage forks don't do anything for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I agree, there was a 3 speed Electra in new condition for $125 and a basic Electra cruiser for $60, both gone as soon as they were advertised on CL. I could have waited for another to show up, but by then my 42 Hawthorne will be done.

For the first time in over 30 years I bought a brand new bicycle. After years of chasing vintage parts I decided 2017 will be a year focused on actually riding a bike rather than scouring the web for just the right bits. Not saying I'm never going to build a bike again, but for the near future I'll be riding, not building.

I've always loved the Schwinn Sting-Ray (built several since I joined RRB) and when MBBO5 was completed, I started planning a Sting-Ray BMX build. I soon found that to build what I wanted I'd be spending quite a bit, and from riding my other builds, I knew it would be creaky and small. The Sting-Ray does fine around the cul-de-sac or on the boardwalk for leisurely rides, but for some real exercise, not so much. I opened my mind a little bit to bikes other than vintage USA-built and after some research decided to get a modern BMX bike. I want something that really gets my legs pumping, and helps me maintain what balance and coordination I have left. I'm fine with having to stand throughout the ride, and I'm really not into derailleurs and lycra.

Here in northern Virginia, road bikes are king, followed by mountain/hybrid style bikes. Most shops only carry one or two "children's" 20" bikes, but I did find one shop that catered a bit more to the BMX crowd. I thought I'd try a 24" cruiser, but they felt too big. Figured if I'm going to go bigger than 20" I should go all the way. I tried on a few 20" bikes and was really diggin' them when the sales guy pointed out this bike hanging from the ceiling (which I hadn't seen). It was love at first sight:

View attachment 44570

She's a 2016 Sunday Broadcaster, 20.75" TT, full chromoly frame and fork, chromoly bars, aluminum double-walled rims, sealed hubs and BB, and 2.4" tires front and rear. Most importantly, she's "Slimer Green," which is practically an exact match for my favorite Schwinn color, Campus Green. Here she is next to my wife's Campus Green '68 Slik Chik...

View attachment 44571

Once the weather gets a little warmer, I intend on starting out just learning how to ride and control this bike before I start working on some basic tricks. I'm a bit too old and brittle for some of the crazy stunts kids are performing today, but I definitely want to work my way up to some park riding eventually. Riding in a bowl looks like a heckuva lot of fun, but I've got to build some confidence and somewhat respectable skills before I give it a try.

I'm sure I'll personalize this bike to my liking, and maybe it'll be a scruffy rat someday after a lot of hard use. Love this forum a bunch - it's run well, the folks are great and the talent is astonishing. I'll probably end up building something again down the road, but this year I'm going to use it while I have it, if you know what I mean.

furyus
Good thinking! I love those heavyduty BMX's, just too short for me, (6'4") that is why I built Joker out of one:

DSCN2742.JPG

But there will be no tricks for me, I had to explain to the ER Doc how I nearly broke my leg on my home made tall bike. I was in my 50's at the time. But this bike is to ride and cruise when ever and where ever.

I'm not worried about explaining anything to my doctor. It's explaining to my wife that worries me.

furyus

Good thinking! I love those heavyduty BMX's, just too short for me, (6'4") that is why I built Joker out of one:

View attachment 44604

I forgot about the Joker! I'm going to have to go back and read that build thread again. Have you gotten many miles on her yet? What's your longest ride?

furyus

I forgot about the Joker! I'm going to have to go back and read that build thread again. Have you gotten many miles on her yet? What's your longest ride?

furyus
My health stop many long rides, but it has the most use out of any of my builds, the MasterSports/CyclePro is catching it though...
When I get these LTJ frames happening in the next couple of months, I can see that one of them will end up being my go to rider, very similar geometry to the Joker build, but lighter... ;)

Latest posts

Back