BOSS ROSS - another Ed Roth tribute

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Branded it - now I need to buy more stickers for after the paint goes on.
ratrodbikes03.gif

I should really consider one of those 451 wheels for my Morpha-Ray, that wheel combo looks great. I'm glad the muscle bikes are out in force for this build-off, I'd hate to be the only one!

gowjobs said:
I'm still considering the dual driveline setup, but I don't know if I have enough width in the rear of the frame to implement it properly.

I think this would add a lot to an already cool bike, and is very 60's show car-ish. what is the clearance problem? could you not just create a mirror image of the existing drivetrain? The left side would probably just be a dummy...if it is a frame clearance issue, I might add that it isn't that hard to dimple a frame for chainring or chain clearance. I have done it to a touring frame to fit a triple in place of a double. All it takes is something with a blunt rounded edge to use as a punch, and also use a lot of patience (don't use a huge hammer), and just work that dimple in there.

Well, A chain link broke on me during the Choppercabras' ride today, thankfully just around the corner from the start. I think it's the powers that be telling me I need two chains. :wink:

I'm going to see if I can spread the rear of the frame enough to squeeze in a disc brake single-speed freewheel hub. Using a LH thread freewheel and a modifed LH thread euro bottom bracket cup, I should be able to make a dual-drive rear hub. Then it'll be a matter of using some BMX 3-piece cranks with both RH and LH drive arms (and chainwheels) installed.

After putting some miles on this beastie, I think I want to fab up a taller sissy bar to raise the seat a bit more... or maybe a staggered "king & queen" style seat?

love this little ross.
king and queen style? interested to know what that is?

another option you have is to add a layback seat post. moving the seat back just a couple/few inchs will also increase the distance to the pedals. (personally i'm not big on muscle bikes with adult height seats)

those bars make this build! who woulda thunk such a subtle change would increased the cool factor ten fold!

i didn't, but obviously you did. great build!

icyuod2 said:
love this little ross.
king and queen style? interested to know what that is?

another option you have is to add a layback seat post. moving the seat back just a couple/few inchs will also increase the distance to the pedals. (personally i'm not big on muscle bikes with adult height seats)

those bars make this build! who woulda thunk such a subtle change would increased the cool factor ten fold!

i didn't, but obviously you did. great build!

kING AND qUEEN SEAT:
king_and_queen_seat.jpg

I figure I can sit on the rasied rear portion, while the front stays low... giving a sleeker, chopper look, right?

I've considered the layback seatpost, but I'm really liking the way the sissy bar approximates the angle of the rear of the frame. Maybe once I start building my custom parts, I'll work on a new sissy bar and seatpost.

BTW: Will be out of town for a couple of weeks... I'll be checking in, but this build will slide to the second or third page before it receives an update again.

gowjobs said:
kING AND qUEEN SEAT:
king_and_queen_seat.jpg

I figure I can sit on the rasied rear portion, while the front stays low... giving a sleeker, chopper look, right?

I've considered the layback seatpost, but I'm really liking the way the sissy bar approximates the angle of the rear of the frame. Maybe once I start building my custom parts, I'll work on a new sissy bar and seatpost.

BTW: Will be out of town for a couple of weeks... I'll be checking in, but this build will slide to the second or third page before it receives an update again.

oh thats awesome! and would work perfectly.
i here what your saying about the rear stays, i thought the exact same thing when i mentioned the the lay back.
you could always build your own sissy bar. if you made the 45* area longer (right down under the seat)
you could maintain the paralel look of the rear stays/sissy bar.

that being said, i think you could pull off that king/queen and maintain the sleek look you described.
mucho betta idea!
can't wait to see.

I'll cast a "no" vote against the king and queen style seat... I really like what you've got on there, although I agree a tall sissy bar would look cool. Lots more above the seat, right?

And if you're going for more modern BMX parts, are you aware that a dual drive hub already exists? it may be hard to find, but they are out there, my brother ran one for a while. I believe his was an ACS. a good BMX shop should be able to find you one. The downside is that it might only be available in 14mm axle, with the smaller freewheels (14 tooth) you can grind flats on the axle, or open up the frame slot to get around that one. On the plus side, the spacing would fit your frame. 120 mm I think.

A lot of mid level BMX bikes also have them stock, so they can be easily switched to Left hand drive. Of course BMX stuff is smashed up all the time, so you might be able to find one free out of a shop's trash if you ask around.

gowjobs said:
i know it wont win many votes like this(it would have mine though f.w.i.w.) but that just looks perfect as it sits.....i know k.i.s.s. style builds dont win(look at how well o.c.c.s theme bikes do :x ) since everyone wants to vote for add on stuff but that just looks so right :!:
(only my useless $.01 again but id skip the k/q seat)

I kind like it the way it is as well. I think I'm going to build a custom fender for the rear, a drilled aluminum plate to fill between the main frame spars, and maybe my own custom sissy bar. A taillight showed up at the house today for under the seat. I won't be home to work on it any more until Thursday or so. I'm in the San Francisco area all week.

Some more parts arrived, and I put a chain back on it for a ride this morning. I need to get/make some L brackets to mount my taillight under the rear of the seat while I wait for my new pedals to show up. (!!!) No big changes this week - probably more at the end of the month.
bossross22.jpg

bossross20.jpg

bossross21.jpg

What I'd like to see---with that ross frame.Those air vents shown on the yellow bubble rod you posted---made on the back of the ross frame.
Alum sheet? Shaped Foam and fiberglass? Poaster board & rattle can paint? I don't know how---but that frame would be great boxed in---maybe even a set of finned taillights across the back tieing them together.And painted yellow!Then again---maybe by next year I can find a ross frame

frameteam2003 said:
What I'd like to see---with that ross frame.Those air vents shown on the yellow bubble rod you posted---made on the back of the ross frame.
Alum sheet? Shaped Foam and fiberglass? Poaster board & rattle can paint? I don't know how---but that frame would be great boxed in---maybe even a set of finned taillights across the back tieing them together.And painted yellow!Then again---maybe by next year I can find a ross frame

Yeah - right now I'm in the "Mechanical" stage, but candy yellow over silver flake and some frame molding is definitely in the plan. I've also been toying with the idea of an asymetrical headlight pod...

well you messed up then! cuz roth made the headlight pod/grill part before the rest! :p :lol: hope you can get to sculptin somethin man, sounds like a killer idea! :D

Probably not going to be a lot of progress this coming weekend, but you never know...

I scored a Lawwell Leader suspension fork this morning. I think I may throw together a new-age boardtracker/bomber for the wifey...

Latest posts

Back