Born Again Bikes - Community Ministry

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm starting this thread to keep me accountable for my actions/efforts, so keep me in check, guys!

It's no secret, especially since I'm on RRB......I like bikes! And I like tinkering with them! So, I got to thinking (that's trouble, at least my wife says so), why not turn my interests (bikes and missional work) into a passion.....collect and refurbish discarded/unwanted bikes and have them available for distribution at Christmas for children of needy families. Have families be referred to us by local agencies, or provide bikes for "Angel Trees" in the community. And the larger bikes could be given to adults that rely on public transportation or have no other means of getting around.

So, with the blessing of my church, I have started "Born Again Bikes", obviously having dual meanings. We have a tractor shed that no longer houses a tractor, so I have some storage and a place to work. I have been gathering a supply of bikes to either fix or use for parts to fix other bikes. As of today, I have 20, with a good mix of 20", 24", and 26" with a couple smaller ones, too.

Current Inventory:
DSCN1224.JPG

DSCN1225.JPG

DSCN1226.JPG

DSCN1227.JPG

Today's delivery (included above):
DSCN1223.JPG

As I go, I'll be posting about individual bikes while repairs are being made or while parting others. If, at any time, anyone has suggestions, advice, or see a part that you need, just PM me here or email me at [email protected] or [email protected] I'm open to selling parts at a fair price to finance repairs/parts needed.

SDG

Sounds great Brett. Have you had any help yet? Seems like a great opportunity for a youth to learn how to work on a bike too.

Good Job! Mick

Thanks! There is a community center based bike shop that does just that. I am kinda in competition with them for donor bikes, but i think we will compliment each other well in the future. I try to pay a visit once a week.

God bless you Brett. I'm in the western end of NC., 12 miles from exit 113 on I-40 actually. I have a local source for little bikes that would keep a couple of people busy fixing them all.Maybe I could bring a load eastward from time to time and meet you halfway or something. Keep it in mind.
I feel , as you obviously do, that the young ones need to hear the good news that ..... loves them. :D

Thanks Steve, Thom, Mick!

Thom, I'll take you up on that! I get to the Greensboro area often (brother lives there, Dad's in Burlington). And I get to Charlotte at least twice a year (old car stuff). Oh, and I'll be in Shelby next month (more car stuff). We'll swap parts and stories soon!

Bwahaha! "bike rack" that's a good one!

Great idea. You will be able to compliment the local bike coop. Bike coop's thrive off of volunteer help. You might even find that they will give you bikes to fix up. Just keep a good line of communication with them.

Looking forward to seeing your good works!
God Bless!

Brett, are you coming to the nostalgia drags at Shadyside Dragway? I plan to be there too. What kind of car or truck will you be in? I'll be driving my 1940 Chevy sedan.
009-2.jpg

Let's try to hook up if we're talking about the same event.
Anybody else on here going to be there? A flier can be seen @ Steel in Motion website. The event is put on by a car club called the Geargoyles. 8)

I'll be there in my late-model Suburban (as seen above) but I'll either be riding one of my bicycles or tooling around on my GL cafe racer. I may have my pinstriping stuff and/or a setup to sell my wares.

Were you there last year? I was set up above the waterbox at the starting line! Heckuva show!

YG, Yes you did! I didn't get a shot of the load....I had to get the house ready for after-prom guests tonight/tomorrow!

Again, thanks for the hook-up! Both the ministry and my garage thanks you!

BTW....how was the birthday party? :D

brett4christ said:
YG, Yes you did! I didn't get a shot of the load....I had to get the house ready for after-prom guests tonight/tomorrow!

Again, thanks for the hook-up! Both the ministry and my garage thanks you!

BTW....how was the birthday party? :D

Birthday party was alright, we rode bikes to their house and got there and nobody was home, the party was at Chick-fil-a, so back to the house and into the car. Only about a 1.5 mile round trip on the bikes.

No, Brett I was not there last year. I didn't know about the event last year. Did everyone behave themselves last year? I don't want to invite family and friends and be embarrassed. I know no alcohol is sold at the event , but some BYOB.

Everyone enjoyed themselves, but I feel fairly confident in saying I'd bring my family to it.....if they'd just come!

Great guys and gals, fast cars, and cool eye-candy! And this year.....RatRodBikes invade!!! See you there!

Back on track.....YoothGeye donated three more bikes, which brings the grand total to 23 of bikes in inventory. Hopefully, I can get a good photo database of bikes, evaluate each, and decide which bikes are worthy of saving and which bikes will be sacrificed for build components.

BTW....Any recommendations on parts storage? I'd love to have a hundred little plastic storage bins, but I don't have the funds. How do you guys do it?

Any advice or direction for our efforts on this project, please feel free to speak up here or PM me if you choose!

Thanks for letting me chronicle my efforts here. It will give me a place to keep up with how we are progressing.

SDG

I wish you had mentioned something about storage while you were here, I could've given you at least 5 big tubs with lids... :? Maybe next time.

Latest posts

Back