Boiled Linseed Oil?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, what's the deal on boiled linseed oil? I've seen it mentioned on here somewhat often lately. What are it's applications? Practical uses or cosmetic?

I have not used it much but....
  • Frame finish instead of paint for the nice raw look.
  • Frame preservative inside
  • Thread locker (spoke threads)

It's original use is on wood decks, to protect the wood from weather aging. Turns out, it works on metal just as well. Applied to a bike frame, either on bare metal, or over old paint, and it sort of "seals" it just as it is. The bare metal frame won't rust, and the older paint job won't further deteriorate.

I've used it for two bare metal frames, and a year later, still no signs of rust.

Search around on the forum, I think there are a few different threads on using it.
I used it last year to seal/clear the frame on Firewing with good results.

Quick dumb question on this subject...

If I use this to preserve the old paint on a bike do I need to work around decals & stickers or is it safe to coat them as well?

Quick dumb question on this subject...

If I use this to preserve the old paint on a bike do I need to work around decals & stickers or is it safe to coat them as well?

I think going over that stuff should be fine.

I think going over that stuff should be fine.
Thanks I'll try it on a city license sticker first before I get it on anything important.
All of the boiled linseed oil that I have worked with has a strong oder. I first started using it to protect my garden tools from rust.
I've used linseed oil on wooden truck beds and it was a stinky job.

I've use BLO on gunstocks. The stuff never really dries as it's an oil. It's also not water resistant at all. Water spots the finish on my guns and I have to put on another coat to get rid of it. Might offer some protection for metal but little for wood. Gary

I want to seal the paint and rust; I know full well that clear coat won't stick to the rust so need another option

I've use BLO on gunstocks. The stuff never really dries as it's an oil. It's also not water resistant at all. Water spots the finish on my guns and I have to put on another coat to get rid of it. Might offer some protection for metal but little for wood. Gary

Are you sure that you weren't using just linseed oil? Boiled linseed oil does dry, I've never found it to stink, and it's proven to be water resistant.

I've used BLO for over 30 yrs. I've never used it on metal, so results may be different than wood. Do an experiment. Sand a piece of hardwood to 320 grit or so. Put 2 or 3 coats of BLO on it, letting it dry between coats well. Now splash some water on it and watch what happens. It is NOT waterproof or even water resistant. Gary

Latest posts

Back