Boiled Linseed Oil Revisited or Stupid question(s) ver 7.8

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Ok so I've read the thread on using BLO on rusted frames, but I'm still not clear on some aspects and there seemed to be varying opinions.
From what I've gathered from the previous thread...
- BLO will basically preserve a rusted patina and prevent further rust in the case of raw metal frames... Correct, or just close?
- BLO unlike regular Linseed Oil, will not leave an oily residue... If used, when and if painting is the plan, will an acetone wipe down be enough to begin applying primer and paint?

Now for the gist of my question in the use of BLO...
I have various components that have had lemon juice, vinegar baths, navel jelly, and some cases multiples to remove rust. Rust is gone, but the parts tend to show surface rust in a day or so, I don't want to have to WD everything to prevent rust so will the BLO resolve my issue?
Now keep in mind, I am not trying to preserve current rust I am trying to prevent it from returning on parts that have been derusted... some will be painted and some will not.
From what I gather, seems most here on the forum have used this strictly as a means to preserve a raw metal frame

I would say that just as many people have used it to preserve original paint and patina as have used it for bare metal. That is what I did with my original paint Columbia Firewing frame last year. I actually plan to use it to preserve my 1940s/50s/60s red house paint on starsNbars.

Latest posts

Back