BOARDTRACKER BOMBER XIII * FINISHED *

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If it's too loud you could weld two big washers to a perforated tube, wrap it with a little packing and then stuff it inside the copper exhaust with a screw to keep it in place. That'll quiet down a little bit while still looking cool.

Very NICE !!!

Could of had a motor for mine for 70 Bucks, but I didn't move on it & it's GONE . . . Bad move on my part, everything included, still thinking about it . . .
I came across a screaming deal on mine. I liked the idea of it being a mid 50's engine as well. I have seen a few of these around they are definitely available. I say go for it!

Last edited:
ok, so I started thinking this thing was going to be outta control on the volume. I fired up the engine this morning and realized I have a few thing to work out with the throttle but overall the noise volume is in the decent range. The funny thing is when I shut it down the first time fire shot out of the pipe which could be a cool coincidence as long as that is not a sign of the engine blowing shortly down the road. Here are a few photos after I cut down the flywheel shroud. I am going to cut the fins off the flywheel next and hope the 25-30 mph wind takes care of the loss of cooling.

engine_clutch_web_zpsfdddd942.jpg

engine_fanshroudweb_zps0d991789.jpg

Anyway, I did shoot a 20 second video (the engine was at full out and died down due to fuel tank to low to fill the glass bowl) which you can check out here -

So, progress today beyond just checkin the noise. Welded up a seat post, and added the jackshaft. I have a really different idea for the gas tank and am waiting for parts with that. The seat post is solid 5/8" coming out of the frame and the pipe coming off that for the estension is 1/16" walled steel pipe. Not sure if that is strong enough to hold 180 lbs bouncin around at 25 - 30 mph.
jackshaft_added_II_web_zpsc46709ca.jpg

Last edited:
Check with @slowriderz and get one of his solid laid back seatposts.
Love the build man!

That thing looks awesome. That handlebar is perfect, and your engine turned out gorgeously. My buddy collects and rebuilds antique Maytag engines. We were toying with the idea of using one on my bike, but they weigh a ton!

I was stumped on where I could find something like that but while looking at the photo a company came to mind that should have them. I am wondering how key they are in the correct function of the fork. I am using a softer metal for the joining supports so maybe I should not push my luck considering disk brakes and speed of a motor will come into play. Thanks again!

I'm a little late catching up on this but I have the same forks, also missing parts. The fork will work to a certain extent with regular bolts and lock nuts but the stepped bolts eliminate play while providing a secure pivot for the arm to swing on. If you're just using lock nuts you are going to have to find a compromise between freely pivoting and not wobbly. You will also probably get extra wear because it will be pivoting and wobbling on the threads of your bolt.

Can you post if you have any luck finding bolts from the company you mentioned? I managed to find a vendor on ebay that is considerring getting parts made for these forks. I'm not sure what the policy is on posting vendor info in the forums, but feel free to IM me and I will pass on the info.

Somewhere you mentioned that you have access to a CNC mill or something. If you have access to a CNC lathe I drew up the bolts in a CAD program. You might be able to get them made. Feel free to drop me an IM to discuss.

Dave

That thing looks awesome. That handlebar is perfect, and your engine turned out gorgeously. My buddy collects and rebuilds antique Maytag engines. We were toying with the idea of using one on my bike, but they weigh a ton!
To tell ya the truth this thing is pretty heavy. I am just hoping for American quality in the frame to hold. I was pretty lucky how this engine fit. (I had to order a smaller plug to squeeze it in). I have seen a few builds with maytag engines. It may take a modified frame though. If you do it I would love to see it!

To tell ya the truth this thing is pretty heavy. I am just hoping for American quality in the frame to hold. I was pretty lucky how this engine fit. (I had to order a smaller plug to squeeze it in). I have seen a few builds with maytag engines. It may take a modified frame though. If you do it I would love to see it!

You have an eye for it. I never imagined a Briggs could look good on a bike. But yours looks like it's always been there. Clean, modern, and I'm really enjoying the irony of it all.

If I ever use a Maytag, I'd put it on something stretched, with extra long forks! I think the big polished flywheel on those things would look really swell with those proportions...

From what I remember of the old Briggs and Strattons the the fins are also part of the governor. If you're of the "I don't need no stinking governor" school it's not an issue.

Dave
I think you are correct sir. I am not too concerned about the governor. I am not going to push it to the point hopefully where the engine should be damaged from loss of it.

Searching for inspiration tonight and I think I have figured out a few things that I am going to incorporate. I had to redo the motor mount due to a few miscalculations, I believe that is in order now and will slap some chains on it this weekend. I am working on a double cylinder gas tank that I am thinking will be different and way cool. I will have a few new photo's before the weekend is up. Time is ticking AWAY!

BoardTrackRacers_grande_zps2029ce99.jpg

515-1388464684-fee870ec748adeb26b91a323a3bafdeb_zps413f898b.jpg

Latest posts

Back