"BOARDER PATROL"

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looking good, all you guys seem to get your gloss black a lot better than I ever have. Maybe that's why I'm using all flat this year.

yoothgeye said:
Looking good, all you guys seem to get your gloss black a lot better than I ever have. Maybe that's why I'm using all flat this year.
Thanks! I had to switch the paint I was using. I started with Rustoleum Automotive paint. I didnt like the nozzle, the spray or how it layed down. I switched to their standard paint and it made all the difference. The standard paint had a more comfortable nozzle, more even spray and lays down nice. AND its cheaper! It's on sale at Menard's for under $4 a can. I've been painting like crazy this afternoon and I'm real happy with the result so far. The paint can/nozzle switch was the key for me.

Chips_Mahoy said:
After work I got the red light stenciled & painted but I flubbed a spot over the T...... :oops:

I also got the Schwinn decals put on the tank:
stone cold awesome.I really need to get that decal printer paper you told me about!
Great work man. Call me crazy but Schwinn Fleet tanks like yours are my favorite tank.

Xcruiser said:
I really need to get that decal printer paper you told me about!

Thanks X!

Just so you know....It CAN BE a pain in the back side working with! I made a couple other decals that I was going to put on but the edges kept rolling under and I wasn't able to get them to lay flat. After many attempts and failures I gave up on them and went with the "Less is more" thoery.... :wink: Maybe someone on here has a technique or trick they could share because I'd like to know myself!

I was trying to have all of my painting done last night so I was up until about 2am this morning. Everything that needs painted is, but I've got a couple pieces I'll have to work on today to get them where I want. I should have those done by the afternoon. Other than that, everything else went really well. I spent some time at the local Menard's mega nut & bolt selection isle and picked up some of the hardware I'll be using for reassembly. I'll have to pick up more later since I wrote the info down wrong. I'll just need to take the bolts with me to make sure I'm getting the right stuff.

I'm working on getting the headlight and it's bracket mounted now. I'm trying to use my keen engineering skills to get it to work with a minimal approach. I don't want to have an out of place looking contraption on there that doesn't fit the theme of the bike.

No more pics yet. I should have some tonight to post.

Chips_Mahoy said:
After much thought, consideration and discussion with myself last night, I've decided to make BOARDER PATROL my "official" entry for the build off. "66 West" will continue to be built and I will post updates on it as progress continues. But I felt that in the spirit of the Rat, Boarder Patrol was a better choice for this type of operation.
Glad ya chose this one,I really like its direction.Its one of them Im truly looking forward too seeing done.

Xcruiser said:
Glad ya chose this one,I really like its direction.Its one of them Im truly looking forward too seeing done.

Thanks. I'm glad too. I think if I tried to rush on the build of 66 West I wouldn't have been happy with it and stressed out. And that's one thing I don't need any more of in my life right now!! Boarder Patrol is having its share of little hurdles but it's nothing too serious. The further I get on it and the more things are going well, I get more excited about seeing it done!

I don't know what the deal is with my Fotki account right now. Every time I try to copy the image code to post pics it acts funny. I don't know if it's a problem with Fotki or if it's my computer. But if it doesn't stop soon the computer is going to find itself skipping down I-65 in rush hour traffic real soon!!!! Is anyone else having the same problem?

I've had to strip and repaint the wheels and rear rack. Not sure what happened but something came up through the paint. The wheels are primered and dryin right now and the rack is being stripped. I also had to make a new bracket like the one I posted earlier. I did some mock up work for the headlight and the other stuff for the front and the bracket ended up not being long enough. I can't wait to show off my headlight!!!

I also started to make the new seat post to set it back and lower it. I'm sure there's a name for this but I don't know what it is. The seat post will have a brace added to it for my dead weight.

I going to go back out to the shop and check on the primer and start putting the crank and sprocket back on. Sorry I can't post pics......I promise I will as soon as I can!!

That's looking REAL nice Chips :!: Great job 8) 8) I'm really enjoying watching this one come together :D

Wait wait wait... stop the presses!

Chips... building a police bike...

chips.jpg

Circa Cycles said:
That's looking REAL nice Chips :!: Great job 8) 8) I'm really enjoying watching this one come together :D

Thanks Circa! I quit early at 1am this morning. I got to the point of where it is now and was happy with it, so I ended on a "high note".

Two more pics added: 68 & 69

68. The bike I got as a donor ended up not working out like I had hoped. So it made its way to my mom's flower & rock garden as a surprise. She loves it! She loves the color most of all. So in the end it was $3 well spent.... :wink:

69. I forgot to cove my brand new Thick Bricks when painting....(cue Homer Simpsom.....DOH!!!!). If they were black tires I probably wouldn't have noticed it easily.

http://public.fotki.com/ChipsMahoy/bike ... page3.html

Shame that Fotki is messin with ya. That's really a pain having to follow you link and then clicking through the pics.

You should switch to Photobucket.

Let's see if this works.

44278098544-vi.jpg

Cool it worked. Okay here is what you do.

- Click on your photo so just one is displayed.
- Right Click on the big photo and choose Properties
- Highlight and copy the URL section
- Paste it into your RRB post with in front
and in back.
- Abracadabra

Latest posts

Back