"BOARDER PATROL"

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chips_Mahoy said:
kingfish254 said:
Chips cleared the double build in the discussion board prior to the build off start and no one had any issues.

I knew that one of your sons had the Little Green Monster build, but I didn't realize that you had another son building the Mamba as well.
Pretty cool deal!!!!!!

Thanks kingfish! You back yet or still wandering the continents?

I've been back for a little over a week now. Didn't you see the mock up work I did on FlexLiner 7?

kingfish254 said:
Chips_Mahoy said:
kingfish254 said:
Chips cleared the double build in the discussion board prior to the build off start and no one had any issues.

I knew that one of your sons had the Little Green Monster build, but I didn't realize that you had another son building the Mamba as well.
Pretty cool deal!!!!!!

Thanks kingfish! You back yet or still wandering the continents?

I've been back for a little over a week now. Didn't you see the mock up work I did on FlexLiner 7?

homer_doh.jpg

I did see but that's what I get for getting online when I'm not fully awake yet.....

whitegiant510 said:
i see your bike was built feb.22 1962. to be exact
That would be correct!

I just got done making some of the new decals. I still have to finish the big one and a couple small ones, but I'll get 'em.

AND.......I am finishing my lunch break so I did a little painting on a few pieces that needed redone.

27May2012 Progress Report:

Had a productive lunch break today. Got a handful of small parts painted, decals on a couple and got the rear rack together and almost complete. Sorry for the bad pics......

Rear rack side:

Rear rack rear angle:

Fork with the decals. I didn't mean to make them look like a Pontiac emblem, but they came out that way:

Got this and a few other parts painted:

Hopefully I'll get a lot of the reassembly done this week on my days off.

So, which build are you leaning to so far?

kingfish254 said:
So, which build are you leaning to so far?

I've been putting a lot of thought into this lately. But that's the scary thing......the way I think :shock: I'm really liking this one for the most part. I've not had any serious issues with it so far. I think it'll go back together okay and will present well. It'll be a 15-footer IMO. "66 West" will be a beast of a different color. Okay, technically it wont but I think you get what I'm saying. I'm really excited to get to building this one because of all the man hours for the design, making the custom pieces and assembling it. The problem I see with "66 West" it it doesnt capture the 'Essence of Rat' and instead will be a full custom bike to some extent. And forthat matter, Boarder Patrol is a custom as well. So I guess I'm still up in the air on it. Knowing me the way I do, I'm sure it'll come down to a last minute decision..... :( :?

Thanks Circa & Outskirts!

Just got home from doing a couple more little things to it. It slows my building down not having it at the house with me, but that's probably a good thing at the same time.... :wink:

Got my bars!! YEA!! I've been going through everything I've had out of all the bikes I've got and had to settle for something that would do. Well, I dont like to settle for something that doesnt go with the look, style and flow of the bike. AND I don't want to spend a bunch of money on this build....hence, the 'Essence of Rat'! Anyway.....my $3 donor bike fessed up it's bars for the cause. They were perfect for what I had invisioned for this thing. Now I need to strip them down and re-do them. This $3 bike has been worth it's weight in gold as far as I'm concerned!

Here's the new stem I'll be using with the new bars. It came from one of the parts bikes in the pile behind the barn. I cant used the Specialized stem with the curve of these bars. I think this one will look better and make it look more authentic to a Boardtracker look anyway:

Dont look at this one too long. It might make you light headed or nauseated. The picture was taken as the light was hanging upside down. I rotated it when I added it to the album. So the background may look a little funny...... I put the light together just so I could see if I was going to like it or not with the black, chrome and red together. Ends up I'm okay with it so I think it'll be a nice piece to add a nostalgic detail to the bike:

And for all that may be concerned about the purple $3 donor bike.......an extra set of bars were put on it and it was wheeled out to my mom's flower & rock garden and parked under a nice shade tree. It'll be interesting to hear what she has to say about it when she finds it :shock: :shock: :wink:

I have one of those same stems from a 1970s Nishiki that I have been parting out on CL. I paid $100 total for the 76 Nishiki, 60s Schwinn American. and his and hers early Emory's . So far I have recouped $80 just off of the Nishiki frame and other parts. Soon the American and Emory's will be totally free.

kingfish254 said:
I have one of those same stems from a 1970s Nishiki that I have been parting out on CL. I paid $100 total for the 76 Nishiki, 60s Schwinn American. and his and hers early Emory's . So far I have recouped $80 just off of the Nishiki frame and other parts. Soon the American and Emory's will be totally free.

I don't remember which bike it was exactly it came from but I think it was a Huffy 10 speed. I like its angle at a profile. It'll set the bars down in a way that would make the rider really lay down for a race.

After much thought, consideration and discussion with myself last night, I've decided to make BOARDER PATROL my "official" entry for the build off. "66 West" will continue to be built and I will post updates on it as progress continues. But I felt that in the spirit of the Rat, Boarder Patrol was a better choice for this type of operation.

Youthgeye..........you can let out your breath now and finally get some sleep!! :wink: :eek:

I've been trying to post some update pics but Fotki isn't cooperating with me at all today!! :x I made the bracket to mount the equipment to the front of the bike. It's in primer right now drying. I just finished the rest of the decals and hope to put them on tonight. The last parts to be painted are being done so I'll be able to start reassembly in the next couple days!! 8)

And I haven't DISassembled mine yet :oops: Looking forward to seeing your progress.This is gonna be cool once assembled 8)

I got a few more things paInted tonight. A couple pieces came out really nice and a couple didn't. I've decided I'll sand the frame back down some and reshoot it. I'm not happy with the way it looks. Hopefully I'll be able to post pics tomorrow.

I was finally able to get a pic to link & post. I guess 1 out of 6 isn't bad..... :roll: So this is my bracket. There are many like it, but this one is mine!

But now its painted. I painted this bracket, another bracket and the handlebars. I had to repaint a couple small parts and I'm still not happy with the outcome. So along with repainting the frame, I'll have a couple small parts. I did get the chainguard decal on though.......first try too!! I also did a little polishing to the stem and clear coted it. Just wish I could show you thie photos....... :(

Latest posts

Back