"BOARDER PATROL"

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Here's one of my builds I'm going. The other one will have it's own thread. I can't decide which one I want to enter so I'm going to build both bikes and see what happens closer to the deadline.....

Like most of my build Ideas, the theme of it comes from one little thing of the bike, so this one will be no different. I'm using a 1962 Schwinn FLEET 26" as you see it. The word FLEET made me think of a fleet of police vehicles, so this will be a old police themed board track racer.

Cool :!: I've got a black one,without wheels,laying around.Subscribed to this build as well.

Man I'm Glad you didn't say Fleet Enemas.... That'd Just be Weird... :shock:
Sounds like your idea is Much better, I'll be watching this one....
Good Luck

Yesterday was a day off for me so I was able to get started on something. I tore down the FLEET and started sorting through what will and wont be re-used on the build.

The stem and fork were siezed together so I ended up twisting the forks......DOH!!! Guess I'll be looking for a new one!

Original seat.....not being re-used.

Original crank & sprocket......not sure if I'll re-use it or not.

Original serial number.....I will be re-using this.

Now I start hunting for parts!!

yoothgeye said:
Finally, a decision! :D

I wouldn't say that. I'll probably end up building both and TRY to make a decision after they're both done. OR......one might not get finished in time for the deadline so the other might be selected by default.

Since you have so many builds to choose from, I think you should rename it "HOARDER PATROL". Wait a minute, I kinda like that name. I call dibs on Hoarder Patrol.

Re: "BOARDER PATROL" Update 07May2012

Here's the work I got done on BOARDER PATROL over the weekend.

The frame was cleaned, sanded and primed:

The chainguard had some damage on it from where the crank arm had been hitting it. Looks like it was going on for a long time....:

Close up of the damage:

I'll git it fixed and primed tonight if all goes well. I'm still deciding which handlebars and fork to use. The rear rack had a couple of its welds broken so that might be a good reason for me to try my hand at welding!!

Did some experimenting with different forks, wheels & tires and came up with this combination.

I like it but the tire is too fat for the forks. So now I'll have to thin down the forks to make it fit.

dogdart said:
Chips_Mahoy said:
Here's one of my builds I'm going. The other one will have it's own thread. I can't decide which one I want to enter so I'm going to build both bikes and see what happens closer to the deadline.....
is that leagal :wink: I have two bikes I want to build , and can't decide either :p

It's ok, he's not going to finish either of these. :mrgreen: :wink:

is that leagal :wink: I have two bikes I want to build , and can't decide either :p[/quote]

It's ok, he's not going to finish either of these. :mrgreen: :wink:[/quote]

Ye have little faith! I just got the fork "thinned" up so I'll probably be up half the night working on it! AND ....... I'm a little closer to making a decision. I'm pacing myself to keep the blood pressure low and doctor happy... :)

Re: "BOARDER PATROL" PROGRESS 10 May

Made a lot of progress tonight. It's 2am and I'm just getting home from working on it....... :roll:

Got the fork problem taken care of for the tires. It might be hard to tell in the photo, but the fork tubes are now half the thickness that they originally were:

All it took was a big hydraulic press, some sections of thick steel and a lot of patience:

Then I had to open up the ends for the axle. I didnt want to have to spread the forks apart tgo get the wheel on. I figured they've been stressed enough already:

And since I did all the above, the forks needed a little filler to some areas to smooth out where it had been clamped, squeezed, etc:

While the filler was drying, I turned my attention to the stem and handlebars. These are probably what I'll go with but I'm not 100% sure yet. The bars are from a little OCC chopper and the stem is an older Specialized piece I bought off ebay last year for REAPER but ended up not using it:

Got the frame and a bunch of small parts painted. I used Rustoleum Automotive finish Gloss Black:

This is the red light I'm using. It's an old Unity light I've had lying around for a few years. I painted the back of the housing to match the rest of the bike. The front ring cleaned up nice so I'm leaving it chrome:

The taillight is something that was in a box of old tractor lights I bought last fall:

I had painted the tank earlier in the day so I made the decals for each side and put them on. The decal is a combination of an older style badge and a wheel insignia for a motor patrol unit. I liked it because it looked more like a bicycle wheel than the others I looked at:

Decal close up:

That's it for now.......I'm tired.

Xcruiser said:
A: Someday Ill find a Fleet tank for a build,so far they elude me.
B: Thats an awesome double clamp neck,never seen one before.
Ill keep watching man!!!!!!

Thank you sir! I picked up a 1964 24" Fleet that's missing it's tank. I'm looking for a replacement, but not real hard. I'm hoping I'll find one at the show/swap in Crawfordsville. You going to be there?

Latest posts

Back