Board tracker

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good point about the stability, I haven't taking drive-ability into account at all yet. :mrgreen:

28%20-%20Boardtrack.jpg

Test fitting with the cranks installed - the engine needs to go high in the frame or there's no room for them to spin.

29%20-%20Boardtrack.jpg

Oops. :(

I say it looks awsome!! Go with the Puch fork and wheels. :D I am sure we can get a frame over to you for your next build. You know you can't do just one.

You know what I'll say, keep as many Puch parts on your bike as possible and always call it a Puch. "Yes officer, it's my Puch" Lol! It is kind of cool as I have never seen a modern motorcycle fork on a bicycle. The whole point of Rat Rods is to recycle parts creatively. You now have an original, be proud. You can get extra wide crank arms and spindles for engine clearance. Not too expensive.

kcjim78 said:
I say it looks awsome!! Go with the Puch fork and wheels. :D I am sure we can get a frame over to you for your next build. You know you can't do just one.

I'm always looking for other stuff to start building, but I promised myself I'd finish this one first. ;)

cobrafreak said:
You know what I'll say, keep as many Puch parts on your bike as possible and always call it a Puch. "Yes officer, it's my Puch" Lol! It is kind of cool as I have never seen a modern motorcycle fork on a bicycle. The whole point of Rat Rods is to recycle parts creatively. You now have an original, be proud. You can get extra wide crank arms and spindles for engine clearance. Not too expensive.

Alas, in a country with more bikes than people and almost a million mopeds, that really won't fly with the authorities here. :mrgreen:

Made a lazy seatpost! Solid steel, should hold my almost 220 pounds.

30%20-%20Boardtrack.jpg

Should I see if I can shorten the forks springs and bring down the front a bit? To me it looks like there may be too much clearance between the front wheel and frame.

To put the bike in some form of scale, here's me on it. It's tiny!! :|

31%20-%20Boardtrack.jpg

Replacing the rims with something bigger would help a lot I suppose.

Wheels are 26". :p

I'm roughly 6 ft. 1. Wheels are 20 inch, strong enough to survive WWIII but I'll see if I can get some bigger 26 inch rims to see if that'd improve things. A shame really, because just looking at the bike it seems brilliant. :)

I have no clue, so maybe somebody can tell me. Was there any size variation in these frames?

i like it with the small wheels. really like it i think this looks like what mopeds should look like. run with it and i dig the long front end maybe drop it a little but watch your pedals. if you are still running a 26" frame crank try going to a 24 or a 20 they are shorter. i like what you have going it is different from the others i have seen. one of the positives of using the puch wheels, engine, and such is you already know it works together and i am a K.I.S.S. sorta guy

karfer67 said:
i like it with the small wheels. really like it i think this looks like what mopeds should look like. run with it and i dig the long front end maybe drop it a little but watch your pedals. if you are still running a 26" frame crank try going to a 24 or a 20 they are shorter. i like what you have going it is different from the others i have seen. one of the positives of using the puch wheels, engine, and such is you already know it works together and i am a K.I.S.S. sorta guy

+1 on that may be you could elongate the frame or put some sort of stem on?

Hoeha said:
How's this build going?

It went into the freezer for a while since I didn't have much space and to make way for some road cycling and a bit of Asia, but now that the weather is getting worse I'm picking it up again. Moved all the stuff to my university's workshop, so I have a bit more space than my kitchen.

It's itching again... :)

What an interesting build-- With that high engine and exhaust placement, it looks pretty "scrambler"-like. I just recently laced a 26" rim to a Puch hub for this build http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=38789. It was my first time building a wheel, and wasn't that hard. (I didn't quite follow the rules, so we'll see if it explodes in the near future.) Have you considered putting a 26" or fat 24" rim on that hub in the front, keeping the 20" in the back?

Jimmybug said:
What an interesting build-- With that high engine and exhaust placement, it looks pretty "scrambler"-like. I just recently laced a 26" rim to a Puch hub for this build http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=38789. It was my first time building a wheel, and wasn't that hard. (I didn't quite follow the rules, so we'll see if it explodes in the near future.) Have you considered putting a 26" or fat 24" rim on that hub in the front, keeping the 20" in the back?

That's quite brilliant actually! Beautiful bike. Thought about doing a bigger wheel up front and tried it, but it didn't look right to me.

I've done some thinking and decided to scrap the Puch engine and parts altogether. The Puch engine ended up in a go-cart. Not sure what kind of powerplant I'm going for now... might just be a chinese kit.

32%20-%20Boardtrack.jpg

Removing the old paint from the rims. Terrible paint & smells!

33%20-%20Boardtrack.jpg

~60 year old light works perfectly.

34%20-%20Boardtrack.jpg

After a lot of polishing. The spring cleaned up nicely which I'm very happy with. Just some rust on the inside where I can't reach it, but I'll see if I can remove that somehow...

35%20-%20Boardtrack.jpg

Before polishing.

36%20-%20Boardtrack.jpg

After polishing.

37%20-%20Boardtrack.jpg

The rims after primer and a few coats of black.

38%20-%20Boardtrack.jpg

Satin finish.

39%20-%20Boardtrack.jpg

After powdercoating. RAL 6009. It costs some money but it's far better and stronger than what I could have done.

40%20-%20Boardtrack.jpg

41%20-%20Boardtrack.jpg

42%20-%20Boardtrack.jpg

43%20-%20Boardtrack.jpg

Feels good to be busy again :)

Nice finish work gotta watch this one.

Did ou ditch the Puch engine?
These motors look good too, and they're made for frames like yours, so it will be a little easier to mount :)

Nice paintjob!

The fork looks cool too, but it's just for looks right? Or do you is the spring attached to the back fork and it gets stretched in stead of compressed?
It does look real nice.

Hoeha said:
Did ou ditch the Puch engine?
These motors look good too, and they're made for frames like yours, so it will be a little easier to mount :)

Nice paintjob!

The fork looks cool too, but it's just for looks right? Or do you is the spring attached to the back fork and it gets stretched in stead of compressed?
It does look real nice.

Yeah, I ditched the Puch engine. But I do have some ideas for a next project of course... :D

The spring works and you're right, it gets stretched.

Click them for full resolution;

If anybody is interested, I have a bunch of these in high resolution.

Latest posts

Back