Bo11 Weevil (done)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Here's my entry. There's a lot more suggested in the build thread, but this is how it will remain.
It's a Patria frame (made in the Philippines) with new everything else. A klunker with apes.

DSCI0038.JPG

SRAM 2 speed Automatix with coaster brake.
DSCI0044.JPG

The build thread:

http://ratrodbikes.com/forum/index.php?threads/bo11-weevil.98310/

Really like the chrome parts with the patina paint, nice mix of old and new. Great use of the SRAM Automatix hub, first I've seen on this site. Let me know how that works, I'd like to try it in the future. I've read where the first gear is basically your single speed gear, and then it 'gears up' at around 11-12 mph. Be interesting to see how you like it. Rat on! :thumbsup:

There's another bike in the build off using the Automatix. Look for a bike with a ton of votes and that'll be it.

It's centrifugal, when the hub hits a certain rpm, the weights fly outward and catch second gear. When it slows, they drop back in and you're in low. Depending how you geared the bike, first could be a normal gear, but this bike has a smaller chain wheel (40), so I have a low gear and normal. Same speed at the shift, about 10-12 mph, but different cadence. I've ridden this auto shift hub and the old kickbacks too. I like how I'm always in low to start with this, but also like to choose when I shift like a kickback, so it's a tossup. Definitely better than a one speed, and no cables or shifter.

+1 like

Latest posts

Back