Bluing

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Hello,

I am a rookie bike refurbiser. I am thinking about Bluing (as in cold Bluing like a gun barrel ) a frame that I have removed all the residual spray paint from. Has anyone tried this? To what degree of success?

Thank you for your reply. Sorry if this is a foolish question.

I've seen several bike frames that were blued.
As long as you start with clean bare metal it'll be fine, the longer you leave the chemicals on the darker it gets. So I'm told anyway.

Also been told if you leave it on to long it will cause some rusting, which apparently is easily cleaned.

Yeah, do some searches.... some RRB members have built bikes with blued frames; others went the browning route. Looks really impressive; not too sure what upkeep is like....

Fairly inexpensive and easy. I think rusting can be an issue still if gets wet. My shotgun rusts if I am careless with it. Make sure you wipe it down just like a gun after a wet ride.

I just cerakoted a frame and it is a finish often used on customized guns. It seems pretty durable but the price is similar to powder coating.

Also, have you had any bikes powder coated in Boise? [ have used coatings plus once (off Chinden). Wondering if you had any luck elsewhere?

Latest posts

Back