Black Widow, the newb's Dyno "bonker"

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Let me start off by saying, this is my bike. This isn't the lastest flip, or resto, or wrench practice. I ride this bike. It is my main neighborhood pounding, 2-wheel transportation. It has reignited my tri-flow addiction.

In concept I wanted a beach cruiser, but with a touch of BMX speed and feel, but roll with a cool cruising vibe. Low rise bars and good tires, a klunker style, all the while running a large front tire, low seat, and fenders, like a bobber, thus the term "bonker"!

Since I DNF'd the 2017 build-off I still wanted to document my progress for those interested.

Rising up from a pile of parts, this thing is starting from a Dyno duece and along with an added pile of OE GT parts and picked trick additions this is going to be sweet!

Just starting this thread so I can transfer the topic here, so even tho at the point the topic is basic and boring, stay tuned as its coming!.....promise.

Last edited:
111.jpg
I originally got this as a pile of parts. Missing the bottom bracket, cranks and pedals, as well as a few OE things it was a just a start to the rekindling my bike fever.

After a swap on the BB and a pair of old cranks and pedals from an early 70s Huffy, and some Phil Wood"s and tri-flow we have a neighborhood scoot!
20161031_144822.jpg

3" Duro whitewalls and some minor rust removal.... that's how she ran for about 3months.
20160926_090538.jpg

Thing is, I am trying to no avail to bring this to current lol so hang with me, and I appreciate the interest and likes, so thank you to those!

Step back for a second.....
20160909_233719 (1).jpg
This thing started as a heap, cruddy done rattle canned paint and more dings than a 70's wagon grocery getter. No worries, some time and love was able to get to a smooth base primer.
20160826_213759.jpg
Just for those that didn't know, dollar store magic erasers and bit of WD40 work wonders on surface rust, even in bolts and crevices. Cleaned up the original bars and forks, and some 1pc cranks I had and I rolled the neighborhood like that for a bit.
20160905_224158.jpg

Now this was cool. My last build was in 1998ish. Started with what was believed to be a 73 Huffy. I friend working at a bike shop gave me a chainguard, which I never used. In my move to Norcal I left almost everything part wise behind. I kept that chainguard. Been here over 17yrs. Dug it up and would you believe?......
20160923_202028.jpg
#meant to be
But now, those cubby ratty whitewalls...won't fit. 2.125 I had worked and to boot my buddy thru me some MX bars for the klunker/strandie feel.
20161204_144826.jpg
After some wrenching and adjustments.....it rolled like this for a few months
20161205_105835.jpg
20161205_151236.jpg

Latest posts

Back