Black Tie-phoon

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well, I've sat on the sidelines through several RRBOs, blown away by the creativity and talent, and have finally decided to give it a go myself...even though my tastes usually follow more to "custom" than "ratty". :mrgreen:
For now, I'll leave you with this teaser of where it's all beginning:

015-6.jpg

The frame (shown above) is a '65 Schwinn Typhoon I bought months ago here from "ern". The new glossy black powdercoat finish is perfect for the "formal" look I'm going for...
As the name implies, I'm looking to do something pretty different here - not ratty, but the polar opposite: classy, yet kind of sporty, with a little attitude thrown in. I'm thinking something like the tux-wearing-James-Bond of cruisers. In other words, a "black tie" Typhoon - see where I'm going here?! 8)

I already started gathering parts for this ahead of time, mostly from my already extensive collection of (unorganized) goodies (some of it shown here):
005-13.jpg

However, since we're at our beach house this week, my supply of stuff brought along to work on had to be scaled back a bit since all of the necessary luggage and beach stuff took priority. :?
Regardless, I have gotten some work done....
I'm sure my wife's not exactly thrilled about all the bike parts and tools laying around our vacation place either, but she's pretty supportive and understanding of my...uh, obsessive hobbies....so she just rolls her eyes and smiles. :D

I had a set of new-ish alloy rims, so I thought those would work to give it a clean, sporty look, and the light weight should help offset the heavy Schwinn steel frame. I also had a brand new set of wide whites that hadn't been mounted on anything else yet (read: "clean"!) that would add a touch of class and more of the needed black and white for the formal "tux" appearance (bullet valve caps were added as a nod to Mr. 007 :mrgreen: ) :
018-1.jpg

I hate to see a BRAND NEW (!) fork go to waste, but it's not quite what I had in mind:
023-9.jpg

So, the fork gets swapped out...and on go the wheels:
024-5.jpg

025-4.jpg

And yes, it gets a chrome springer. What better for a classy, sporty model? 8)

Oops, forgot to show a pic of things right-side-up:

029-9.jpg

For some reason, the chain is wayyy too long even with a 21 tooth cog and the axle all the way back in the dropouts. Oh well, minor fix. I'm kind of diggin' the powdercoated cloverleaf chainring and cranks, though.
And have I mentioned lately how much I love cantilever frames??? :mrgreen:

Started tossing some parts at it that I brought along (my progress is going to be a little limited this week, since I'm not at home).
Apes and a very cool black and chrome low-slung Schwinn seat that I got from ern:

001-11.jpg

030-8.jpg

Mmmm...fail. The apes are nothing like the classy/sleek look I wanted, and the seat - although it looks very cool by itself - isn't right (even if I adjusted the seatpost down), and is about as comfortable as hemorrhoids. Not that I, would, uh, know, of course...

looks sick and slick i like it. hmmmmm powdercoat guess that is a loop hole if it was done before the build off started. haha just messing with ya good luck bro

skillsthebarber said:
this bike is begging for a black brooks leather seat
8914.jpg

My thoughts exactly! And wouldn't you know I've got two black B67s at home - one with chrome springs, for a great match to what I'm doing - but none with me. Figures. :roll:

I'd already tried the other seat I'd brought with me before I read this, off a Walmart Schwinn. More comfortable to ride on, but still not the look I want. Guess I'll just have to wait on that until next week for the Brooks when we get home.
However, I did slap on the new Phantom tank. Really nice finish for a repro, and a perfect fit. And definitely the right formal look I want. Will need some customizing, but it's a good start.
Also took off the apes and slapped on a set of mini-apes. I think this is what I'm looking for. A little touch of style, but much sleeker and "sportier" than the tall apes.
Still have to mess with the chain and the seatpost.

031-13.jpg

And by the way, thanks for the comments! 8)

karfer67 said:
looks sick and slick i like it. hmmmmm powdercoat guess that is a loop hole if it was done before the build off started. haha just messing with ya good luck bro

I was thinking the same thing, not hating, because you are using what you had and it looks great, but hint for future entrants, find the frame you want to use and have the previous owner powder coat or paint it before you buy it from them. :idea:

This bike is looking classy, is the headbadge going to be a bowtie?

How about some diamond cufflinks in the grip holes?

Geeze, I never even thought about that being a concern. I just had an unused frame that I thought would be great for the build off that was already "painted", and it was the glossy black that gave me the idea for the build theme...I really hope that's not a violation of the rules? :?

As for the other suggestions - GET OUTTA MY HEAD! :mrgreen:

Hammond Eggz said:
Geeze, I never even thought about that being a concern. I just had an unused frame that I thought would be great for the build off that was already "painted", and it was the glossy black that gave me the idea for the build theme...I really hope that's not a violation of the rules? :?

No, no, you're fine, it's obvious it wasn't you intention to do it this way, just using what you got, just pointing out a future loophole. Anyway, seems like "we" are the only ones enforcing any rules, and "we" are pretty slack about it. haha

Like has been said, build and have fun, don't get caught up on the details.

naw its all good rock it but it. is one of those grey area rules i mean seriously have you ever tried to grind off that stuff? the bike is sweet by the way i am a sucker for black and chrome

Thanks man! 8)
I know this won't be as elaborate as some of the other entries, but I'm having a blast just doing something from the ground up.

I thought you guys would get a kick out of the package the mini-apes came in. At first I thought, "...., the post office workers must have been playing soccer with this one!" Then I realized that there was no way the bars could have fit in the box to start with - the end must have been sticking out of it when it was packed! :lol: Morons... :roll:

020-2.jpg

OK, got the chain length squared away, and adjusted the seatpost so I could give it a test-ride. That short wheelbase (compared to the Electras I've been riding) gives it quick handing, and the springer makes for a very comfy cruiser. Definitely fun to ride, which is always important to me with my bikes.
Unfortunately, that seat really sticks out like a sore thumb. Can't wait to get the Brooks on it.
I grabbed a "locals" San Clemente sticker down at the pier last night and slapped it over the horn hole on the side of the tank just for fun while I ride it around here. Funny, it's just different enough from the hordes of beach cruisers down here to get some long looks, which is always cool. 8)
I found a fairly local guy who sells repro horns for these tanks, so looking forward to fitting that when we get home and seeing how well they really fit and work. Got some more goodies on order, and will be shuffling through my stash for some additional parts then, too. It still looks pretty bare-bones, but I've got quite a few things in mind to add...

036-5.jpg

OK, back at home with the nearly endless supply of stuff to add.
First thing was swiping the black Brooks off of another bike and putting it on this new, more appropriate "formal" ride:

099.jpg

The black and chrome looks awesome, as I was hoping. I'll re-adjust the seatpost nice and low for finished pics later. In the meantime I'm having fun riding this one around in between "build" sessions...

Thanks -
And oh yeah, lots more...

Latest posts

Back