1. Photobucket recently update their Terms of Use and are now requiring a $399/year membership fee in order to share the photos that you host with them on other websites. If you use Photobucket to host your photos and are using a FREE account, none of your photos will show up on other websites. Please upload your photos directly to the forum here and no longer use Photobucket. Click here to follow the discussion topic...
    Dismiss Notice
  2. There is a solution for the broken Photobucket image issue on forums. If you use Firefox or Chrome, go into the Extensions (Chrome) or Add-Ons (Firefox) and search for "Photobucket Embed Fix" - it will have an icon that looks like a green piece from a jigsaw puzzle. Install the extension/add-on, restart your browser (Chrome) and you should be able to see all of the Photbucket images again.
    Dismiss Notice

bike locks/bike alarms

Discussion in 'BIKE TALK' started by Voyager Al, Feb 11, 2012.

1. Voyager Al

Voyager Al

any good alarms out there?I used to own a franchised detailing /car accessory business, and installed thousands of car alarms. Whats out there for bicycles? Locks? remotes? That 141 dollar one looks neat, but ya gotta buy a sim card? What are yall using? I hate to carry a cable lock on my older bikes. I do carry one on my Trek. Dont wanna scratch paint on the non-stock painted bikes.

2. I normally use a laminated steel cable and padlock or a log chain covered in old inner tube.

3. clamdigger

clamdigger

I have read of motorcycle alarms that attach to the disc brake rotor and are very loud. I think that they detect motion. With your experience you could adapt it. Has its own battery and key. If you would like a link of a video I will try to search for it.

4. JaxRhapsody

JaxRhapsody

Vento/Triton scooters had an option for an alarm and I heard one go off and it was loud. Most would need an electrical connection. I'm not sure how one would work on a bike

5. I had a Vento Triton R4 scooter with alarm and it is loud. Also super sensitive I hated it so much I ended up ripping it out. The scooter was fast as I'll get out too. From the factory it'd do 55MPH. after the new roller weights, clutch, big bore kit with a little modification to the exhaust port, new exhaust, re-jetting the carb, high flow air filter, and modding the oil pump, it'd do closer to 85MPH! It is amazing what 50cc can do. If you want a scooter with plenty of power I can say from experience get a 2-stroke belt drive scooter. Yamaha Jog, Yamaha Zuma, or Vento 2-strokes are the best ones.

6. Voyager Al

Voyager Al

7. clamdigger

clamdigger

nice find, I like the 3 adjustable sensitivity settings. looks like it might mount directly onto a u-lock also

8. Knowing my luck a bird would land on it and set the alarm off.

9. Dr. Tankenstein

Dr. Tankenstein

Al,
    I just looked at the one on Amazon. If you buy one, can you do a product review?

Cheers,
    Dr. T

10. Voyager Al

Voyager Al

Yes! I have to wait til I get back to work. I have spent waaay too much money on this hobby. Sold my Volvo,and my old chevy wagon and bought a conversion van so I could haul my bikes and my bassboat. I got clearance from the surgeon to return on March 1, so I cant wait! But,yes, Ill do a review. I need to contact the seller first, it looked like he only had 1 for sale.

11. clamdigger

clamdigger

Voyager Al, Most importantly would like to know that you are all better now. Also curious for an update on the alarm.

12. Voyager Al

Voyager Al

.... if I didnt forget all about it!
    Imback to work,but tire easily. I was on light duty for a few weeks, but the demand forces me to work harder. Lots of projects we are behind on, since i was off 100 work days.
    I'll try to order one soon, but I have a few projects that need money....