Bike engine opinions

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Don't want the same air cooled whizzer knockoff everybody else has.

Guy I work with had it in the rafters of his garage. Twin Cyl. 1938 4.2 hp Johnson Outboard.

Should I run the engine inline with the frame or Across the frame.

Need to figure out water pump and radiator also.

Might be able to shorten up original bottom end and use the water pump and 90 degree drive.

Great Cow! That build might be quite an undertaking, but the finished product would be absolutely buh-DASS! Maybe radiator mounted longitudinally, between the top tubes? Cylinder fuel tank mounted behind & below the seat makes for a clean installation that doesn't smack of motorcycle. Perhaps you could source a tank off an old Coleman stove--the kind with the little brass pump with which you pressurize it.

Oh Yes Please!
See Hot Rod Magazine Dec 2013. There's a gold '57 Ford on the cover. The Roddin' At Random column features a Radio Flyer go cart thing powered by an old outboard. The guy used a heater core from an old Mustang as a radiator. Lots of serious engineering but so very cool. Sorry but I wasn't able to find a link.

Running the motor at 90 degrees would give a BMW vibe to the drivetrain which would be pretty neat. I

I had a friend that raced vintage outboards. Parts were so rare that he had to cast pistons in his basement but he could make those things go scary fast. I really hope you can figure out a way to make this work.

Rock On,
S

The heater core isn't a bad idea, but an even better bet might be a transmission oil cooler. These coolers are designed like mini radiators and, depending on the vehicle, were often long and narrow--perfect for mounting in the space between the top tubes. Scour the wrecking yards looking for cars or trucks that came with a tow package.

Latest posts

Back