Big Wheel All Growed Up!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greetings sprocket heads! While this is the first build I share with you all, it is by no means my first build. I share for both entertainment purposes and for the selfish reason of picking your experienced and creative minds. Please, if you have any suggestions, dont hold back!

One day I was tooling around in my garage, when a fellow passes by on a plain, metallic blue, asian built trike. After a single exclamation of interest, the bike was offered for $30 and needless to say acquired.

Here is the original concept. 24" up front, set of 20"s in the back, RockShox and a plan to relocate the seat down between the rear wheels. The frame as shown here is untouched, with the exception of a head tube swap.

I forgot to mention, this bike was originally going to be motorized. Thus, the seating position and center of gravity had to be lowered, and a differential rear axle was required. For $99, I picked one up at Northern Tool rated for up to 10 hp. Some chopping, sleeving, turning, and custom bearings eventually allowed me to fit the american shaft into the asian hole (save your jokes). With a go-kart axle, I decided it was only fitting to acquire a set of go-kart wheels as well. Some polished 10x8's and low-pro tires fit the bill. The inspiration was the Russell Mitchell trike pictured below. Around this point, I decided I needed sturdier forks as well. I picked up a used set from a downhill K2 bike from a buddy at a local bike shop.

With the stance set, it was time to rebuild the frame. The photo below shows how this ended up. Compared with the one above, you can see what I cut out and what I added back in. Note that no tubing was added, merely rearranged. The proportions are way off of the Exile trike. I think as a miniature its okay to be a caricature, rather than a replica.

By now the motor idea had been scrapped, and masochistically I decided it needed to be pedal powered. I had an internal threespeed hub handy and welded in a set of dropouts to mount it to. I also had to fabricate a sprocket that could mount to the diff. The last bit of fabrication required was the mounts for a farmer seat. The hard part was over, and all that was left was finding the proper components.

As you can see, these came by way of a 60T chainring and ape hanger bars. These photos show the bike unfinished, as I am anticipation more fab work to be done.

Now for griping... Between the weight of this bike (~50 lbs), the seating position, and the gearing, its a grueling endeavor just to get it once around the block. I intend to try lower gearing, sadly at the cost of top speed. Also, theres always the possibility of going to back to the engine, HA!

Would love any critiques you guys have. I know the pictures dont detail much. I can take more if anyone actually expresses any interest in this thing. Please just ask.

-CC

Cool looking trike.
Can you show more detail on the drivetrain?

Fun!
Now see if you can find plastic rear wheels so you can do power slides.

Just cut away the yellow cross over (to attach brakes I guess) and your fork will look much cooler. I had a similar fork and did the same. See for yourself at my post (first timer).

Found a pic of a really cool trike once, will search my harddisk for it. Maybe it was on this forum.

good luck on finishing

found it already
(this one changed my opinion on trikes)
bikes043.jpg

I see that the forks arent getting much love. I know the yellow is hideous, but it will be repainted when I finish. Maybe you guys will like it better when I mount a bucket headlight on the fork brace. Aside from that, thank you all for the compliments.

Kingfish, Ill snap some photos of the drivetrain and post them for you tomorrow.

Joep, I like that lowslung trike too. Crazy low gearing, but I suppose trikes werent made for speed. I keep forgetting that. My favorite part is the suicide shifter, something thats been on my "to build" list for a while.

I like this build. My trike has a diff on it too. I wish it was a posi.

Drivetrain detail! Better late than never...

Divetrain in entirety. 38T chainring- better than the 60T, but still not great.

Shimano 333 internal 3 speed trike hub and diff axle. Notice splice at bottom of photo needed to install axle.

Detail of 3 speed hub. Fabricated input sprocket for acceptable chainline.

Fabricated adapter to mount 22T chainring to diff.

Update:

This may not go over well in this crowd, but the pedals have been stripped and a motor has been added. It was just too difficult to ride.

Additions include an OHV briggs single cylinder engine, a 3 speed tecumseh, 5L heineken keg can gas tank, drag bars swapped for the hangers, and soon enough a full size keg trunk.

please excuse the mess in the background

Loving the direction you are going with this.

Im ready to see more.... :lol: :mrgreen:

Latest posts

Back