Bicycle trailer help?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I’m looking to refine my kayak trailer, my current setup is a ghetto prototype that is a little on the bulky side, and has some rolling resistance. I want to use bicycle wheels on a new setup, and it’s going to be a simple design. I’m thinking of using two bicycle rear wheels on an axle that’s slightly wider than the width of the kayak. I have the stock 26 inch wheel from my Electra still, so I might just get another rear wheel and use those. What axle and axle housing would you use? Trike axle? Something from Home Depot? I’m trying to do this on as tight a budget as possible.

Using a single long axle with bicycle wheels is a problem. the axle has to be skinny to fit inside the hub shells and most hubs use 3/8 or 10mm axles. That is just too skinny and weak to support the weight without bending. Also, the standard threaded rod thread pitch won't match up to bicycle bearing cones. You would have to buy solid rod and tap it to match.

Other alternatives:

There are some super strong bmx wheels for freestyle stunts that use 14mm axles but that would blow any budget.

Build a double frame on each side so both ends of an existing wheel axle get supported. I'd use bicycle front wheels as the flanges are wider and will have more lateral stability.

Use "cart" wheels that are designed for 1/2" or 5/8" axles. Those will have the bearings included. Available in many sizes and some even have inflatable tires.

There are one sided wheels used on many kid trailers that fold up for storing without tools. They have the brackets and have a quick release device on the hubs. Most are 16 or 20". Avoid the plastic wheels, those can't take much air pressure or weight. The wire spoke wheels are much stronger. Plenty of beat up kid trailers around that would be a good source for the parts.

Using a single long axle with bicycle wheels is a problem. the axle has to be skinny to fit inside the hub shells and most hubs use 3/8 or 10mm axles. That is just too skinny and weak to support the weight without bending. Also, the standard threaded rod thread pitch won't match up to bicycle bearing cones. You would have to buy solid rod and tap it to match.

Other alternatives:

There are some super strong bmx wheels for freestyle stunts that use 14mm axles but that would blow any budget.

Build a double frame on each side so both ends of an existing wheel axle get supported. I'd use bicycle front wheels as the flanges are wider and will have more lateral stability.

Use "cart" wheels that are designed for 1/2" or 5/8" axles. Those will have the bearings included. Available in many sizes and some even have inflatable tires.

There are one sided wheels used on many kid trailers that fold up for storing without tools. They have the brackets and have a quick release device on the hubs. Most are 16 or 20". Avoid the plastic wheels, those can't take much air pressure or weight. The wire spoke wheels are much stronger. Plenty of beat up kid trailers around that would be a good source for the parts.
Perfect! Thank you! :)

this is the second trailer I built. I used cart wheels with a solid through axle. I've carried up to 6 bikes in it with other stuff probably totaling 300 pounds. It's held up pretty well.

this is the second trailer I built. I used cart wheels with a solid through axle. I've carried up to 6 bikes in it with other stuff probably totaling 300 pounds. It's held up pretty well.

That’s awesome! It kinda makes me want to make a full on trailer. How is the axle attached to it? Any pictures of the bottom?

I used bed rails for the sub frame. that black angle iron I see on curbs so often. the stuff is hard to drill and doesn't weld but it's very stiff. the two bed rails run length wise just along the edge, under a 1/2" plywood base. I drilled 1 hole in each sub rail for the through axle. threaded the ends for nylock nuts. I drilled a few more holes in the sub rails to bolt the plywood down. the side rails are sheet metal 2x4s. the type used in commercial buildings as they won't burn. they are light weight. The corner brackets are pvc corner trim for houses, reaches about 5" or 6" on each side, cut to the height I wanted. about 20 inches. I used nuts and bolts to hold the 2x4s to the corner brackets. the bottom layer of 2x4s are bolted to the plywood. pop-rivets at the top corners to keep the edges of the metal 2x4s from snagging on things. Painted the plywood deck for waterproofing. Threw in a rubber mat. painted the 2x4s gold, corner brackets red. Added hi-vis reflective tape on the corners. Slo moving vehicle sign on the back end. it's about 6.5 feet long. the hitch is a 2" piece of backyard swing set that was already curved. the hitch bracket is a bit of 1/8" sheet, bent over to 90d and bolted to the rear axle of the bike. I used a bolt and nut to connect the arm to the bracket. I got the wheels from Northern Tool. they have a pretty big selection.

It you click on the image, it will take you to flickr where I have more photos.

One year I put a small generator in the trailer, put another deck on top and the 3 wise men illuminated yard ornaments, a bunch of christmas lights and a 14" mast with a star. Rode it to/in the local winter holiday parade.

I used a bso Roadmaster Mt Fury 15 speed mountain bike and I rarely got out of low gear. Probably a 36t ring and 28t cog. Some times I'd shift up a gear or two. My 3 mile route downtown and back was based on the least hills. Some extra distance to avoid any climb. I never had to get off and push.

I used a bso Roadmaster Mt Fury 15 speed mountain bike and I rarely got out of low gear. Probably a 36t ring and 28t cog. Some times I'd shift up a gear or two. My 3 mile route downtown and back was based on the least hills. Some extra distance to avoid any climb. I never had to get off and push.
What an epic trailer. Ever consider adding a canvas roof to it? Like one of those Oregon trail wagons? I’d caravan with that...

If you do a google image search on bicycle camper trailer, there all kinds of cool ideas in trailers. some look home made, some look manufactured. This was one of the first and one of my favorites. good luck stretching out to sleep unless you are very short.

camper.bike.asia.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

I used some of that plastic corrugated sign board for the clovers in the wheels on one of my rrbbo bikes:

Not the prettiest setup in the world, but it works! It’s solid, the wheels spin. I found wheels I’m going to replace these with, but that’s for another day. I’ll be permanently attaching a 24x20 inch piece of 3/4 inch plywood across the top. There will be a grid of 1/2 inch holes drilled every inch and a half or so. Those will be the mounting points for either the rails to seat my kayak, or a truck bed type trailer which will be it’s own modular setup. Either of those will be secured with wing nuts to make it a little easier to change from kayak mount to truck bed trailer. I was originally just going to make a kayak trailer, but you all have me ridiculously inspired right now.
72426AA0-0B56-4DD3-8EC0-C5E261FBC4E1.jpeg

Latest posts

Back