Bendix Automatic noisy in 1st

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finally got around to putting the Bendix kickback hub I have onto a bike and riding it. I noticed there is gear noise when running in first, it goes away when in 2nd.

Is this normal, or an indication of a problem? I'm going to double check the bearing adjustment but it seemed fine when I put it in. It stops smoothly and seems to function fine, but it is noisy in 1st.

Yeah there's no problem, it just happens (I've heard only on red bands). I had one I rebuilt. Then rebuilt again, a few more times, replacing different parts each time. I think the sun and planet gears just weren't very precision engineered or naturally wear to do that. Mine always worked great and never slipped out of gear though.

same growl on the yellows, and in high gear on the blue overdrive versions. just part of being a 2 speed. if you start hearing squeaks though its time to grease it.

Through the years Ive noticed that multi-gear apparatus almost always has one gear selection that is noisy, or seems that way compared to the other(s). Im sure that it would benefit from a repack and be good for the rest of your life (or mine, anyway).

I guess then it's acting as it should. I took a peek inside a few months ago and the grease looked decently fresh but I will probably still repack it sometime soon just to be sure.

There is a small set of ball bearings behind the adjusting cone that you do not see when you crack it open to have a look inside.Sometimes these do not get repacked and/or adjusted because you need a special tool the Bendix AB-102 tool. Some info and pictures on the How To forum here are lost.There is another Bendix Automatic service manual,along with a how to make your own AB-102 tool in the tech info at the website vancruisers.ca Be sure to clean the axle threads with a fine wire brush and oil them before trying to unscrew the cone.After doing this,the low speed noise on my Redband Automatic went away.

Latest posts

Back