bending forks???

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a problem! The tires I put on my rims rub the forks now that I bent them!

Has anyone ever made an extension bracket to the end of the forks to create additional clearance?

My tires are 26 x 2.125

I don't really want to move to 24" wheels, and I also don't want to go with a different tire as I'd like the front and rear to match.

Thanks for any advice!

That's one of the problems addressed in a different thread. You HAVE to keep checking as you bend, for clearence. Normally if you're bending a 26" fork and using the 26" tire, wheel combo, you are NOT going to be able to bend very much.....This might be a solution for you. If you can get the rim with the 26x2.125 ON and it just rubs slightly, you can change the tire to a 26x1.75 and it may have the clearence. The 26x1.75 will fit on the same rim, but it has an overall smaller diameter..GOOD LUCK!

27" fork with a 24x1.75 tire and wheel
DSC04726.jpg

Thanks Kota!

I did check as I bent but I ended up with different tires than I was checking with.

Woops!

KOTA said:
That's one of the problems addressed in a different thread. You HAVE to keep checking as you bend, for clearence. Normally if you're bending a 26" fork and using the 26" tire, wheel combo, you are NOT going to be able to bend very much.....This might be a solution for you. If you can get the rim with the 26x2.125 ON and it just rubs slightly, you can change the tire to a 26x1.75 and it may have the clearence. The 26x1.75 will fit on the same rim, but it has an overall smaller diameter..GOOD LUCK!

27" fork with a 24x1.75 tire and wheel
DSC04726.jpg
Awesome looking bike you have Kota.!!! I have the same frame and builing something in the same field as what you have.. Love this look.!!! Great Job.!!!

Be sure to start a build thread. Looking forward to seeing it.

Kota, thanks for all the info on fork bending! I bent some forks for my bike and I think they turned out great. Thanks to all who posted on this thread.

Thanks Kota for putting this thread together! It has been extremely helpful. My first attempt turned out better than I expected.

Murray1.jpg

Georgeediii said:
Thanks Kota for putting this thread together! It has been extremely helpful. My first attempt turned out better than I expected.
Bends look PERFECT!..Nice job.....Next time I need one done, I'll send it to you! :lol:

When I bent my forks for this bike,

chuffrd5.jpg

I found I was too light to stand on the steerer tube and bend the blades so I made a jig to put them in.

fork-jig.jpg
fork-jig2-1.jpg

It held the fork so I could apply gradual pressure to the bender rather than yanking on it, it is about six feet long over all.
Worked pretty good.

Not all bends have to be so radical. Here's one, just for a little attitude change... It's little things like this that make the bike "YOURS".

From this
005-24.jpg

To this
004_zps30bb21b0.jpg

PeterBuilt's SCRAP HAPPY, done with a 1/2" conduit bender.

13d80ee0-023d-46a4-816e-35a0dcb0fdf7.jpg

These forks all look SO sweet!!

For me the procuring of the bender is the easy part, its the being 160 lbs with spaghetti arms....

THATS the challenge :wink:

I have a build planned where these would be perfect, maybe I can eat 10 big mac's a day for a month :lol:

junknutz1975 said:
These forks all look SO sweet!!

For me the procuring of the bender is the easy part, its the being 160 lbs with spaghetti arms....

THATS the challenge :wink:

I have a build planned where these would be perfect, maybe I can eat 10 big mac's a day for a month :lol:
I knew ALL those Big Macs I ate as a teenager in the 60's, would pay off some day! :roll:

So I REALLY like the bent forks. my question is how strong are they? Obviously the more the bend the more strength you would lose, no? I ask because I am 220 lbs and have to worry about these things... Lol. Thanks!

Great thread folks! Awesome info and the jig is pure genius.
I'd imagine that you get zero sidewalk of the forks while bending on that rig.

Latest posts

Back