Beauty is in the eye... Liner. ~FINISHED~

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Killer bars

You have just got to do a LED conversion to the tank lights. Pick up a couple inexpensive LED flashlights and use them complete inside the tank. Wiring the switches together is an easy Google... but, It's a cool build either way.

Carl.

So I've spent the past couple of weeks waiting on parts, still waiting on parts as we speak. I'm trying to stay busy and not lose interest as sometimes happens during these long waiting periods so I rebuilt some previous projects to sell to make up for the $170 order my wife and I placed and are waiting for to arrive via snail mail.
20160521_143155.jpg
20160501_112915.jpg

And then rebuilt one out of boredom.
20160527_180044.jpg
I also bought a lowrider for my son from a guy at work.
20160517_153436.jpg

Today I finished de- cholofying it since my kid is the antithesis of cholo.
Here's the before:
20160517_153640.jpg

The after:
20160529_151714.jpg

From lowrider to bobber.

Last edited:
I decided I just couldn't wait for the parts to get here, I've had this bike for a month now and still haven't taken it for a ride, waiting for parts, what's wrong with me?
So I pulled out a wheel set I had with tires on it threw on a chain, a seat and some grips (after I hacked a few inches off the handlebars).
20160529_164719.jpg

20160529_164738.jpg

It rides like a dream.
As the afternoon progressed the sky darkened and distant thunder warned of an oncoming storm. Lately or evening storms have brought hail so I cleaned up under the carport so my wife could move the car out of harms way. No sooner had she shut off the car when the mewing began. A stray kitten was hiding/riding on the rear axle of our car... and that's how we ended up with a new kitten today.
20160529_190346.jpg

Sweet looking ride as it sits. Can't wait to see it when the parts roll in.

The cats name is probably George. Hard to explain that, but see if it listens to that name.

Bike looks like a racer, gotta love a liner frame.

I hope no one takes this the wrong way, but I would like to thank everyone who did not buy the light I have in my "for sale" thread. :41:

All of your purchasing reluctance has left me with no option but to do something super freakin' cool with that light. I won't give away the punch line, but suffice to say Kingfish's Gaskill rack turned tank will not be the only place a Gaskill vision rears it's three eyed four forked head in this build off... stay tuned.:whistle:

Nothing like a little mockup action to break the suspense.

20160602_165757.jpg
20160602_165715.jpg

The mounting bracket on the light shell perfectly fits over the frame rails with the screw hole perfectly placed between the first and second bar. With a little modification the cable should fit between the rails down through the tank ultimately ending in the proper place (the front axle). I've still got some holes to drill and some grinding to do so the speedo housing fits inside the light shell and allows the use of the original glass lense. All in all I think it fits this build which, the more and more I look at it is kind of evolving into this 60s space age meets post- apocolyptic burnt earth drifter thing. Think nuclear holocaust pre moon landing meets Mad Max. I've still got a long way to go and this project, like all existence is in a constant state of flux so who knows what the final product will be when August rolls around, but hopefully I've inspired and entertained or at least entertained.

For those of you wondering about the Gaskill reference, or those of you new comers who missed out on the twisted awesomeness that was the "now retired from bike building" Adam Gaskill, here's what I was referencing;
Josephine_Detail1_MG_2053.jpg
Josephine_Detail3_MG_2067.jpg

For those of you unfamiliar with "Josephine" Google "Gaskill Josephine", you will not be disapointed.
Some of you knew where I was going with the headlight shell, consider this my tribute to the guy that got me looking twice at every junker left out for the trash. If I drank I'd spill a bit for Gaskill and all the others (where the heck is Jake Sensi?) that aren't in this build off and should be. Now I step off my soapbox and move forward with my build.
:soapbox:

That being said.
I'm only familiar with Gaskill from seeing his builds after the fact, but there's some great stuff in the bicycle world because of him.

As far as where is @Jake Sensi ?
:ninja:
I'm wondering if he's holding off to amaze us all with a one day build.

Great job de-choloing that bike for your son...looks great. Speedo is cool.

For those of you wondering about the Gaskill reference, or those of you new comers who missed out on the twisted awesomeness that was the "now retired from bike building" Adam Gaskill, here's what I was referencing

Thank you for that. Never heard of him. Makes me want to build something artistic and ratty some day.

That being said.
I'm only familiar with Gaskill from seeing his builds after the fact, but there's some great stuff in the bicycle world because of him.

As far as where is @Jake Sensi ?
:ninja:
I'm wondering if he's holding off to amaze us all with a one day build.

That would be funny.....he definitely adds a lot of fun shenanigans to these build offs.

Today I got to playing around with my many bins of God knows what I keep in the shop, some misc. bike stuff, home stuff, stuff for my art, a lot of mixed junk.
I came across an old front reflector mount from some parts bike that has long since been recycled and had an idea.
20160604_153220.jpg

Throw in some washers, screws and, what the heck is that?

20160604_153331.jpg

Any guesses?
Why I have part of a sheep brush I could not say. I do a fair deal of mixed media assemblage and sculpture, so I'll just chock it up to bring something I picked up over the years and held onto for an occasion such as today.

Flash forward and part of a gear from an old 10 speed cassette finds it's way into the mix and everything is tacked together.
20160604_161935.jpg

What am I doing?

20160604_161921.jpg

So a little more form than function I'm sure but still, I can almost certainly say I have the only bike in BO11 with...

20160604_164058.jpg
20160604_163949.jpg

20160604_164000.jpg
20160604_164014.jpg

...a cattle catcher?
I said this thing was going to head down a post apocalyptic road, well here we go.
And the slight offset of the holes on the gear and how the semetry is just so off, yeah that's completely intentional, I do it in my artwork all the time, just a slight bit unsettling, huh?

Attachments

• 20160604_153220.jpg
    20160604_153220.jpg
    211.5 KB · Views: 179
Be afraid of the dark.
Run, don't walk.
And don't look back.

It's the owl eyed,bicycle creature. AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH.:13:

That's awesome, a mini sculpture as a bicycle part.

This bicycle is not as it seems.

Thanks guys. Owl eyed bicycle creature may be getting a new seat, well, it's an old seat robbed from a previous build, but new to this one.
20160604_185020.jpg

I definitely need to bend the sissy bar too back to a right angle and I'm not quite sure about the crocodile vinyl upholstery. For right now I like it for what it is, I'm sure is far from it's final incarnation so for now nanner it is.

Latest posts

Back