beastern 1970 sears spyder hotrod/rat finished

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
well as much as i really was not going to enter this one i will just because we need more people and hopefully i start a trend but my build is just for fun and hopes of getting more to join in as i mentioned in a previous post im not too big on build offs because of tme constraints and rules but i got a simple one that should fit the time frame ell i would like to introduce hot rod girlie
being inspired by a previous thread on girls ratrod bikes i decided to go there with this played out plain Jane simple lower ended sears spyder a 5 dollar yard sale find
my plans are a either grill black or satin black rattle can with wheels painted red possibly whitewalls peeling the cover off the seat and leaving it providing the pan is good if the pan is bad i have something else as well might add some tuff wheels but that's highly unlikely since those wheels are usually out of my price range maybe more but nonetheless here is my entry moved form fresh finds to builds to here
i have created a separate build thread so if need be i can delete it since i am now entered in this if we get more regulars involved i will tap out on this one to e honest im just hoping to bring some of the regulars into the pit here is my beginning entry of course she will be guttedand torn down and progress pictures will be posted more updates soon
18318632_10210625714577137_1769217869_o.jpg

It's all about having fun. Heck, I'm building a stupid scooter! I don't think you'll ever see a scooter in the top 30 list or on the cover of RRB calendar. There's just a certain communion of people when they enter a build off. I don't know if you have kids or grand kids. If not build it for a deserving girl in your neighborhood or town.

Good Luck!

It's all about having fun. Heck, I'm building a stupid scooter! I don't think you'll ever see a scooter in the top 30 list or on the cover of RRB calendar. There's just a certain communion of people when they enter a build off. I don't know if you have kids or grand kids. If not build it for a deserving girl in your neighborhood or town.

Good Luck!
actually that would be cool i have never seen a scooter in the buildoff that would definitely be different and since i just picked up a scooter i might need some inspiration to build it

lil bit of updates and more ideas i have some old license plates i am thinking of mounting to the bare metal seat i also have a donor bike for wheels which hit a hiccup since the front wheel i chose is out of true but their white with black spokes and i kinda dig the look so theres a good chance i am going to true them and use them will post pics soon it is 90 degrees and about 10 degrees hotter in ym shed even with my fan on so iam taking abrea and will most likely work at night on it i also may use my original pedals from my spaceliner since i put rat traps on it but again unsure next step is tearing the seat apart and seeing how abd the pan looks and rather or not i can do what i want to do on it more updates soon

This is the beauty of this site. If someone is not familiar with my bikes, click on "My Intro" below. I'm proud of every bike I've built. But here's the kicker..I couldn't true a wheel if my life depended on it. I couldn't lace a wheel if my grand kids lives depended on it. So when I hear of people truing or lacing a wheel I'm in total awe.

18339620_10210632441425304_1845200987_o.jpg
here is my progress the front wheel i am using mounted with the original tire i kinda like the white with black spokes so i think im gonna keep it as it is i also included the pic of my donor for he wheels and a tank seat i had i am going to remove the tank and mount it on the bike more updates soon

18362225_10210632441585308_1309614645_o.jpg

18405557_10210632441385303_318219146_o.jpg

This is the beauty of this site. If someone is not familiar with my bikes, click on "My Intro" below. I'm proud of every bike I've built. But here's the kicker..I couldn't true a wheel if my life depended on it. I couldn't lace a wheel if my grand kids lives depended on it. So when I hear of people truing or lacing a wheel I'm in total awe.
yeah me neither i cannot true a wheel if my life depended on it but this ones not too bad i may just leave it as it is

thanks guys but i still have to tear this hing down entirely for paint and bodywork alot of this is just mockup i do like the wheels as they are so they most likely will be staying on there the seat is actually not too bad pan wise so i am going with ym idea of the license plates mounted on the seat for a seat still lots of work to do more updates soon

It is not about winning,it is about building and making friends with others who have the same addiction. Seeing what people bring to the page from all over the globe,in any size or form. Apart from the bike has to be rideable and you have 3mths to do it in. Sort of no rules really.
Keep it fun and enjoy... Good starter parts you have
And I am glad you jumped in. The more the merrier.

It is not about winning,it is about building and making friends with others who have the same addiction. Seeing what people bring to the page from all over the globe,in any size or form. Apart from the bike has to be rideable and you have 3mths to do it in. Sort of no rules really.
Keep it fun and enjoy... Good starter parts you have
And I am glad you jumped in. The more the merrier.
right on I don't care about winning I just like to have fun and test my abilities and try new ideas I come up with I am still gathering parts but I still have alooooong way to go lol right now I am just testing parts and seeing what I like and won't but once al the pats are fitted then I have to take it all apart and repair/rebuild what I will be using paint everything that needs painting and do the custom work and then put it all back together so 3 months is a good stretch because it will take me bout that long to build this one if I do everything I want to do but that's the fun before this bike came into my hands I had nothing I could enter because I built everything I had up so I decided why not enter since I'm going to build it anyways look forward to having fun and seeing what everyone else builds its always fun these build offs and I agree the rules are pretty simple so I'm ok with that

ugh little hiccup I was removing the coaster brake clamp on my donor heel and the bracket snapped and now i have the coaster brake clamp stuck to the wheel since this is the issue I am just going to have my lbs lace the old hub to the white wheel with the black spokes should look killer when done I know I mentioned painting the wheels red but I may leave them unpainted and instead paint the frame a different color I kinda like the white hoop and black spokes but I hate the hubs on these donor wheels so I think rebuilding and lacing the originals to these donor wheels will be a good fit so for now I will just put the donor wheel as it is on the bike just for mockup then I will have it laced to the original hub I really need to learn how to build wheels so I can do this kind of stuff myself more updates soon but it is too hot so off to the pool with the kids until tonight then more work

Glad you are in!
thanks luke always a fun time and since the rules are pretty simple I figurd why not my build off entry kinda fell into my lap and had that please build me and ride me look to it so I figured why not have fun while I build it up plus I'm hoping I attract a lot of the regulars to this buildoff as much as I love to see the new talent I do enjoy the old talent as well so I hope to draw in some of my fellow rrbers from previous builds

slight design change I am considering a 5 speed conversion with this one or maybe a 3 speed if I can find a wheel cheap enough may just need a good hub since I would like to use these white hoops but another issue is these seem t be brakeless hoops ( I think that's what their called no sidewall for the brakes to grab) so it is possible another wheelset may be in order I will check with one of my competitors in the local bike flipping market and see if he has any 20 inch 5 speeds hes willing to part with for a donor more updates soon

more ideas and thinking I am going to try to remove the front fender and see how hard it will be to connect both together and make sort of a street sweeper fender for the back either that or go bobber route with shortened fenders either way the stock fenders are not staying I have so many ideas and I'm still having to tear this thing down completely and get it ready for paint and bodywork and i still have to work on the tank setup glad we got until august because if I do everything I want to do this will take almost that long to build

Good Luck!
little inspiration on your scooter build brother not sure who made this but ti's 80's and i thought it was cool gonna hang it on ym wall i might build it up later but unlikely right now too many irons in the fire atm
18362285_10210642370153516_484661441_o.jpg

Latest posts

Back