BCA Cross Town (balloon tire mixte)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I've been looking for a good balloon tire frame to use as a winter commuter for my wife for a long time now; this recently popped up on CL and I can't say I've ever seen anything like it. It's a lugged balloon-tire mixte frame, with elements of cruisers, MTB's, and BMX all over. From what little information I can find online, it sounds like BCA was only in business for a short amount of time in the 80's, and this bike is a good example of the expirementation that seemed to be going on at this time. Research reveals that they made Hi-Ten and Cro-Mo versions of this; unfortunately mine is the Hi-Ten version, but I'll take what I can get.

VFVpSSk.jpg

W1RDicA.jpg

I'm planning on taking it down to a single speed (or maybe kickback) and lacing it to some copper 3G rims. I'm thinking either a black or white leather saddle with grips to match (the saddle currently on there is ugly as sin), and replacing the riser bars with some cruiser bars. I'll replace the mini-fenders with some full-coverage chrome fenders and find a chain-guard to throw on there. Will probably throw a Sturmey Archer dynamo drum brake hub on the front, too. I'm pretty excited about this; I've been waiting for what seems like forever for the right frame to pop up, and here comes something I didn't even know existed.

Heres a BCA Parkwood 6 speed I bought absolutely mint cond for 30.00. It was one sweet ride. I loved the double bar frame design. I kept it for awhile but sold it. Had aluminum fenders too.

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk

Heres a BCA Parkwood 6 speed I bought absolutely mint cond for 30.00. It was one sweet ride. I loved the double bar frame design. I kept it for awhile but sold it. Had aluminum fenders too.

Sweet, I got mine for $60 and even then I consider it a great deal. Any recollection if yours was Cro-Moly or Hi-Tensile Steel? I'm just trying to gather a little more information on the few bikes this company appears to have made :).

Dunno all I can tell you it was steel and not aluminum. Wasnt much info out there on BCA bikes. It was alittle heavy but rode really nicely. I bought it from some rich guy who just wanted out of the garage. The bike was practically like new. Think I sold it for 50.

Latest posts

Back