BB Size

Discussion in 'HOW TO' started by BackWoodCycle, Feb 18, 2015.

1. BackWoodCycle

BackWoodCycle

I'm trying to switch the 3 piece cranks out on my singlespeed but I don't know which size to get.

I guess my pedal wasn't tightened all the way in on my last ride or it came loose and pretty much ripped the threads out of the right side of my crank.

Here's a picture of the bike if that helps.

[​IMG]

2. cman

cman Moderator

If your crank arms are just damaged you should be able to replace the cranks without replacing the BB. Any singlespeed crank should work with the axle length of the current bottom bracket.
    • Just make sure the new crank has the same BB interface- Square Taper, ISIS etc....
    • Also make sure the cranks are the same length as the old ones (170, 172.5, 175mm)
    • The new cranks may come with the chainring. Double check if you are running 1/8" single speed chain or 3/32"

Last edited: Feb 18, 2015
  3. SSG

SSG

If they're square taper, you can usually pick up a single speed crankset for about $30. You'll also need a puller which isn't expensive.

4. BackWoodCycle

BackWoodCycle

My LBS quoted me $100 for them to get me a new crank and put it in.. I think I'd rather just do it myself since the tool is only like $12

5. cman

cman Moderator

6. BackWoodCycle

BackWoodCycle

Okay sweet thanks