Battery Tube?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMG_1570.JPG
Here is my Shelby biscuit light with an Led bulb, works fantastic, I put them on all my vintage headlights. They are way better than those old bulbs for sure!

IMG_1681.JPG
I used an old 3 cell flash light, cotton covered wire, boat clips (for holding down ores, gaff hooks, nets etc) and an old industrial light converted to LED. I removed the bulb, glass, reflector and bulb housing from the flashlight. I got it cheap on eBay because it didn't work and was all corroded inside. You can remove the corrosion by using instruction from the net.

I've been trying to do something similar. I found this cool battery holder on eBay--
IMG_1519.JPG

I just did vague searches for 'battery holder' and 'battery compartment', ect. $10.
I plan to wire it to this little off road light from harbor freight. Just trying to learn how that works... seems 3 D batteries is not enough for 6v. I'll prob end up the led route like other here, as I can have a brighter light, with less battery, but still get the look I'm after.

I've been trying to do something similar. I found this cool battery holder on eBay--
View attachment 47965

That is cool indeed. I really hope I can get this figured/sorted out. I'd much rather do it this way than go the dynamo route. I don't like the way they mount to the frame and I don't think it will fit where I'd want to put it. I'm extremely picky, if I can't have exactly what I want I'd rather have nothing.

Google "engraved certificate holder tube" and see what comes up. I stumbled into this one today - my wife and I stopped into an antiques and junk store after breakfast. We found a marriage certificate storage tube that looks like silverplate. It is engraved with hearts and flowers and an angel blowing a horn - very cute. Not my taste in bike great, but it is kinda campy, and my wife loved it. It looked like it might take 3 C cells. You'd have to line it and rig up some wiring. The end caps are not threaded, so you'd have to figure that out. You might be able to buy these things with a blank surface. Better yet - maybe you can have something cool engraved on it.

certholder.jpg

I had considered just getting another dynamo but I don't want the headache at this point. I just spent the last hour trying to get the light to work but I can't get a good ground on this bike anywhere. I tried all over, even places I obviously wouldn't be able to mount a ground wire just to check, but nothing. Yes, the light does work, I pulled it off the bike and used some test leads to check it on my cars battery. I think I'm just going to do the flashlight thing. I might try getting a pair and using the screw on cap at both ends if possible and then drill a hole in one to extend the wires and run them through up to the light on the bike. If that doesn't work, duck, there may be an old bicycle light sailing through the air.

I had considered just getting another dynamo but I don't want the headache at this point. I just spent the last hour trying to get the light to work but I can't get a good ground on this bike anywhere. I tried all over, even places I obviously wouldn't be able to mount a ground wire just to check, but nothing. Yes, the light does work, I pulled it off the bike and used some test leads to check it on my cars battery. I think I'm just going to do the flashlight thing. I might try getting a pair and using the screw on cap at both ends if possible and then drill a hole in one to extend the wires and run them through up to the light on the bike. If that doesn't work, duck, there may be an old bicycle light sailing through the air.

Relax. If it works on your car it can clearly be made to work elsewhere. What did you use as a power source on the bike test? Maybe it's just not strong enough. If you're unable to establish a good ground on the frame, there's no law that says you can't run two-conductor wire between the lamp and the battery pack.

If it works on your car it can clearly be made to work elsewhere. What did you use as a power source on the bike test? Maybe it's just not strong enough.

I'm not an electrical novice, I do quite a bit of wiring on old cars. I used two test leads straight from the battery to the headlight and got nothing while it was mounted to the bike. I checked it with and without a ground wire. It makes zero sense.

If you're unable to establish a good ground on the frame, there's no law that says you can't run two-conductor wire between the lamp and the battery pack.

Yeah, I guess that's how I'll do it, since the flashlight is self contained there wont (ok, shouldn't) be any ground issues. This thing has been a major pain in the backside, especially for something that will rarely if ever be used. I want it functional though, I wont have it on the bike unless it works.

That IS bizarre. If it works while off the bike, but not while on, then what else could it be other than something that shorts out in the mounting?

I have no idea. I'm not known for my patience, it took all I had not to pull it back off and see how far it would fly. It sucks because it's so cool, the perfect '70's style Chopper light.........a rectangle Sprint.

Latest posts

Back