Battered & Beaten updated 8-4 DONE

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I guess I'm in for this build off. My main goal is to just actually finish a bike, lol. I haven't been collecting parts but I have a fair amount of stuff still laying around.

The frame I'm going to use is what looks like a late 30' schwinn frame. I posted the story of how I got it in the bike evaluation section a while ago but I'll repeat it here. Last summer I heard about this old dump up in Idaho where from the 30's-60's they had pushed junk off a cliff that was overlooking a river. There was all kinds of stuff from cars to old fridges. So me and a good friend found out where it was and headed up. We were mostly looking for car parts but I saw what looked like an old bike frame poking out from a bunch of rubble. It was a huge pain to get out because it was entangled in the springs of an old mattress and the mattress was pinned down by a bunch of other junk. Eventually I got it out but that wasn't the end of the adventure. To get down to this place you have to scale down a steep cliff, so you can imagine how fun that is to go back up with a bike over your shoulder :shock: . I eventually got it all the way to the top and I've never worked that hard for a bike.

This gives you an idea of the terrain, definitely want to be up on your tetanus shot before going down there. Most of the stuff is trashed pretty bad from the ride down the cliff or the heavier stuff rolling over it.

Here are some pictures of the frame when I got it home. It's in decent shape but the fork is toast. The stays are going to need a bit of tweaking but I don't see any broken welds. It's got some dents here and there but they add character. Right? I started soaking it today in pb blaster and hopefully in a week or so I'll actually be able to get it apart. If the crank is original it also might help with the year of the frame.

I gave this bike to my brother in law a little while ago but I kept the wheelset. I think these are wheels and tires I will go with on this one, but I'll probably paint the rims.

I got this awesome seat from Uncle Stretch a while ago and it's never found a home on a bike, so I think it'll go good with this build.

For the fork I think I'm going to go with a ratrap that I have. I'll probably have to modify the rockers to work with the taller tires though. That's as far as I've got in seeing what will work.

Re: Battered & Beaten

Great story and build parts.
Good luck.

hmmm....looks a little like my game plan.
gonna have to keep an eye on you :wink:

Great frame! :D I'll be watching :wink:

It's cool to think that bike was in that junk pile all those years and now you're gonna bring it back to life! Cool!!

Re: Battered & Beaten updated 5-4

Thanks guys, it will be fun trying to bring this one back from the dead. I got most of the bike broken down today. Still haven't gotten the seatpost to budge but I think it will. The forks were a real mess and I'm just glad I was able to get them off, but they fought the whole way. With a little bit of heat I got the pedal off and the crank parts actually come off pretty easily. From what I had seen I figured the bike was late thirties and the crank was stamped '37.

After I got it most taken apart I mocked up the parts to see how it was all working. I like it so far. I had a pretty labor intensive paint job planned for this but as I look at it now I think I might just degrease and clear coat the frame. The rockers on the fork will have to be extended to get clearance for the tire, but I had already planned on that. Looking it over the frame really is pretty solid still. I thought the stays were bent but they are looking really straight. The dropouts were bent in a couple directions but that was an easy fix.

That seat is probably about the same time wise. It looks good on there. Gonna be a nice build.

Looking great especially for a taking a ride off of a cliff :shock: ! I really dig the look and the seat. I wish that pile was a closer to me I'd go check it out just for kicks.

You gotta go back for the tank! lol. Great story. It's a testament to Schwinn quality that this will be ridden and enjoyed again. Made by Union labor on American soil... what can you say that about these days?

I wish there had been a tank there. I'm just glad the bike is as nice as it is. It was stuck in an old mattress and that kept some of the heavier stuff off it. The fork was messed up worse than any part i have ever had. It was twisted, the threads/headtube were bent in two different spots, and the stem bolt was welded on.

Latest posts

Back