Bat Rod

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fisch said:
sweet build! You know, for your theme, I like the bars with more drop. Because in that photo, they look like tucked bat-wings, like a bat is swooping in for the kill. Another great thing about this build is the tank. Whoda thought a girls tank would look this great. The scallops make this bike look like it is flying!

Lastly Kudos for putting down the X-53 forks. They didn't look terrible, but the trusses mean more business- fanglike. No time for a girly smooth ride and extra weight for this predator. Keep it looking lethal and always like it is hunting something. I say kudos because when you have something as great as x-53 forks, the temptation is strong to use them, I applaud your restraint here.

Thank you for your insightful feedback :D I was beginning to wonder if anybody reads the posts in this forum instead of just looking at the pics :lol: .I thought the same thing about those bars.The tank is definitely stylish.Once I get it fitted to this frame and apply the graphics it should pronounce the bat wing theme nicely.My build last year had a girl's tank also.I couldn't let something that cool go to waste. As far as the fork,I've got a couple more I want to try but I just don't think they will look as good as the truss fork.They are just too cool 8) 8)

imagearchy said:
Ithink the chain guard looks killer! Though i think i have a chain guard fetish?

Thanks Mick!For an aftermarket guard,it's pretty cool and seems to look decent.Plus the cape guard sits where it should in relation to the fender.I like the way the curve on the front is close to matching the curve on the back of the tank.It has some nice panels for customizing as well.Too bad most of the chrome is being painted over if I end up using it.I'd love to get my hands on a Columbia "D" shaped guard.The kind that wraps around the chainring.I've wanted one since I first saw one :shock:possibly my favorite 8) 8) I think that would be the cherry on top for this build.Hopefully I can get lucky in Boulder .Chainguards are something I seem to be lacking :(

Since I seem to be lacking chainguards,I picked up a 24" Western Flyer that is pretty beat up but had some good parts.I bought it because the chainguard has some character and will fit in with the paint scheme I have in mind if chosen for this build.I like the way it wraps around the other side.Kinda different :D
7176557098_362e9d0037_z.jpg

7176558194_d29d2e7c98_z.jpg

Then I wanted to mock up the Monark springer.It decided I was going to need to give it a PB soaking before it would think of coming off the bike it's on.So I decided to pull a 24" rat trap springer off a girl's Spaceliner carcass I was saving to use on my Sears Spyder.It came off with very little effort so I flipped the linkage to stretch it out a bit and mounted a 26x1.75" tire.While mocking up the fork I decided to put on a threadless Salsa stem I picked up for a dollar and bars from the womens Elgin donor bike.This is what I ended up with...
7176559878_b4111dddec_z.jpg

7176562422_ea381214a4_z.jpg

Yeah,it's low.The grips sit just above my knee cap.Kinda puts "rod" into "Bat Rod".

With the bars so low,I was curious what some apes would look/feel like.I've been wanting to put some mini apes on something for a while now and forgot I even had these in my stash.
7176565372_d7845a35d7_z.jpg

As you can see,the clearance is very small on the front tire.Probably too close unless I don't hit any bumps.Put on a 24x1.75" front tire and stubby fender...
7176570072_6ac56bb15f_z.jpg

7176567066_541ce03f71_z.jpg

This experiment turned out better than I anticipated :shock: I can probably use a hybrid threaded/threadless headset to install this setup without modifying the fork.It is comfortable in either configuration and I kinda like the stance.Still got a couple mock ups to do but I really like this configuration.Don't know how it will ride like this but should be reasonably comfy.Especially with the mini apes.

Let me know what you think :!: I'm going to go pull parts for another mock-up :!:

Oh yea!, you're definitely gettin' warmer. 8) The "wedge" look works for this.

Thank you JoKeR!I was a little amazed a bike that had 28" tires at one time could sit so low.I was pleasantly surprised when I stood back and looked at it after putting it together.I hadn't thought about this type of look when I started mocking this bike up.It's growing on me the more I look at it.Plus I just saw some bars that would look great on here while flipping through Bicycle Times magazine.Hmmmmm.....

Gdcast said:
Circa Cycles said:

I like the lines on this one, I think like this it could win the BB, and you could put back the apes for the victory ride :mrgreen:

My 2 cents

Your 2 cents goes far in my book.It kinda looks like it's about to attack like this.

Tommy Atoms said:
I too like the before apes bike. What happens if you just flip the bars? Do your knees still hit?

Actually,the drop bars are comfortable.The frame is pretty long so there seems to be plenty room while riding.I'll have to give it some more thought while turning.I'm 6' tall and should be able to ride it comfortably.I think....

that looks real clean with those low bars

I appreciate all the feedback guys!I'll have to get some pics posted from different angles.It looks better the more I look at it.I'll probably need shorter cranks which is no big deal.These are 175mm.I really want to make it ridable so comfort will be a consideration.I need to get it running to get a better idea of whether or not to keep it this way.I could try a 26" rat trap set up the same way.I also want to use the matching fenders front and back.

Thanks for offering the bars Mick.I've got a couple I may try.Thanks for the idea.

Thanks everybody for checking out my build.Hope you like what you see :!:

dogdart said:
Gdcast said:
Circa Cycles said:

I like the lines on this one, I think like this it could win the BB, and you could put back the apes for the victory ride :mrgreen:

My 2 cents
I'm diggin it like this also . You just have too many cool parts to play with :wink:

:lol: :lol: Yeah.Like I said earlier in this thread,I've been blessed and lucky enough the past year to find some neat stuff to play with.There is more to play around with before I make final decisions and Get Ta Buildin'!

...wiping the drool off my keyboard.....Nice!

Latest posts

Back