Bat Rod

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
inshane64 said:
I like fender #1 but I tend to build heavy bikes.

Thanks.Check for better pics Sat.I'll do a bobber look.

kingfish254 said:
Some of your mock ups look as good as finished builds.
I like the skirts with flared fender.

I really like those skirts, I may try to create something like those.

Thanks kingfish.I've got LOTS of cool parts and bikes over the last year and will try lots of different mock-ups before I make final decisions on parts.The guards are the only set I have.I've seen cooler.I think JC Higgens made some that are the bomb.I think the ones on double nickel's build last year.Thanks for checkin' it out.Take care over there.If memory serves correctly,the weather is nice this time of year :roll:

Ape Stanger said:
I love the skirts with the red fender. I like no front fender. And if you're trying out new forks I'm sure they will look better than the current so we should strike a deal on sending them my way :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Those forks are too cool.

Thanks Man!Yeah,I was real happy getting those and the matching 28" fenders.The forks fit like they belong there and are real beefy.I still can't stop thinking about how they would look with a custom bend to get the fork crown down on the tire.

imagearchy said:
Hey! You are on a role.
You need to slow down.
You are going to be done before i post my build pic!

:lol: :lol: What's up,Mick?I was just thinking about how I haven't seen your thread yet :!: Not finishing is not an option this year.Matter of fact,I am going to service the wheels,BB,and headset soon so I can cruise it around between build sessions.I'm keeping the paint on the frame/fork.Just painting parts being used.I want to focus on details to make it the best I can :wink:

I think the third set of fenders look the best with the flare on the back. but thats just me.

Circa Cycles said:
imagearchy said:
Hey! You are on a role.
You need to slow down.
You are going to be done before i post my build pic!

:lol: :lol: What's up,Mick?I was just thinking about how I haven't seen your thread yet :!: Not finishing is not an option this year.Matter of fact,I am going to service the wheels,BB,and headset soon so I can cruise it around between build sessions.I'm keeping the paint on the frame/fork.Just painting parts being used.I want to focus on details to make it the best I can :wink:

I think i am going to start my tread this weekend. i have been mowing over Name/ideas and i think i have a contender, like everyone else in this contest.
my bike will be a little different than the norm but it was last year too. my goal is to build along the ,lines of last years but with harsh lines, no gentle curves.

johnp.smith said:
I think the third set of fenders look the best with the flare on the back. but thats just me.

Yeah,I've always been a sucker for a bobbed ducktail fender.Wait till I post an update.I think you'll like it.

I think i am going to start my tread this weekend. i have been mowing over Name/ideas and i think i have a contender, like everyone else in this contest.
my bike will be a little different than the norm but it was last year too. my goal is to build along the ,lines of last years but with harsh lines, no gentle curves.[/quote]

Cool :!: After you described what you had in mind last time we chatted,I am anxious to see your build.I loved your bike last year and with your newly acquired skills,I expect even better things :wink: .I'm looking forward to seeing your build :!:

*Insert Jake's catch phrase here.

Well,I spent some time doing something I should have done yesterday.I was tired,hungry and grouchy from fighting a nasty cold for the past week and ready to call it a day.Then houndog was quick to remind me I should have done it.Thanks,man :) I couldn"t stop thinking about it the rest of the night.Woke up in the middle of the night,went out to the garage and grabbed the front fender from the donor Elgin and stuck it between the stays :wink: I think I found,er uuuh,houndog found the look I'm after.Thanks again.Then i went and got the guards 8) Then I sat there in the lazy boy and looked at it 'til I fell asleep counting vampire bats.

Bat Rod's new rear fender.
7146269817_9ba1f9b184_z.jpg

7146270375_f2b64178f0_z.jpg

7146271147_6714f63e72_z.jpg

7000184966_05bf757001_z.jpg

The rear fender will be used for the build and probably won't be as long as shown here.

I also crawled down into my crawlspace/bike storage,affectionately known as "The Hole" to find a fender for the front of the bike and found a seat on my Excelsior I wanted to try here.The fender was on a Hercules 3 speed I've been slowwly pickin' apart.
It's similar in shape to the rear and will be trimmed to mimmick the rear if used.
7146273427_e35f5493f2_z.jpg

7000187646_514177562c_z.jpg

7146275575_be8a662c48_z.jpg

Then I put a 26x2.125" tire on the front.It's tight,with about 1/8" clearance.Should be good.A different fender may be in order for this tire.I also installed a 26x1.75" tire and the blue fender above will clear.Sorry no pics of that combo.
7000191126_cb9d5801e9_z.jpg

7000188780_f8c43635e5_z.jpg

Then saw a fender hangin' in the rafters that came of my trike from last year and decided to give it a go.
7000191820_a6f286b633_z.jpg

7000193796_9ab2b90c71_z.jpg

7146281683_e74615d149_z.jpg

7146282951_d6075d7c09_z.jpg

Notice in a couple of those last pics how the shadow helps show you the contours of the rear fender.I think the stubby front fender could work if shaped to match the rear.Or not...
Still got some other lightweight fenders to try.Didn't have time or energy to wrestle the X53 fork.PB is hard at work 'til I feel like round 2.Bat Rod will be chillin' in the living room the way you see it here so I can get used to the recent parts additions.Some are staying,some may not.I love the new seat(wish I had 100 of 'em),but kinda looks too busy in that area with those long springs.I have another seat that is the same,basically,but with shorter springs.Another option to try another time.

Thanks again everyone for checking out the Bat Rod,encouraging words and advice:!:It's always welcome :wink:

Gold Street Customs said:
Coming together real nice, i need to get this delivery bike done so I can get back to the Elgin :mrgreen:

Thanks!I know the feeling,as I have a few builds going on myself.So many bikes,so little time :lol:

tin machine said:
hey man , don't no how i missed your build last year , very nice job !! like it alot 8) your bikes looking good man , i like it :!: :!:

Thank you!It's a sweet ride.....'til you need to turn.You probably missed it 'cuz I didn't start until July 4 and missed having it ridable for vote getting by a couple hours.

Houndog said:
The blue fender looks good!!! I'm really liking this bike...

Thanks Houndog!I kinda like it ,too.Has a little style.The front part just gets real narrow from the crown forward.I'll have to look closer at my inventory.I've got some others but wanted to leave them on the bikes they're on.Still plenty of time to look for needed parts and 3 speed stuff is pretty easy and inexpensive to get.Just started with one from a parts bike.

This bike is looking good, Ithink it would be good all satin black with that chaingaurd shiny like it is. can you squeeze a 26" rim onto a 24" fork? that would give it a kiier rake! (just my opinion) love it!

Thanks for the kind words and suggestions :!: I've got a 24" rat trap springer I want to try out with the linkage reversed to fit a 26" tire.I'm still looking for a chainguard.I would like to have a Columbia chainguard,ideally.The "D" shaped one that wraps around the chainring.(If anyone has one for sale or trade,please let me know.)This is just the best looking one I have at the moment.I have a paint scheme figured out for the bike and there will be vry little chrome.Satin black may be part of it.I want this bike to be eerily dark.When normal people see it in person,I want them to feel creepy. I hope to get a better camera soon that will show the frame/fork texture.I kinda like it.

MAN THIS BIKE IS FUNKY!! CUE UP THAT WILD CHERRY"PLAY THAT FUNKY MUSIC" SONG AND ...GET TA BUILDIN'!! PEACE

Latest posts

Back