Bat Rod

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
It 's that time of year again and there are already some amazing bikes, talent,and imagination being displayed :D :D My inbox is already being punished with updates on builds I'm watching and we aren't even a week into the competition.I can't wait to see future entries :wink:
It took me a while to decide on what to build this year.I missed the deadline last year by a couple hours.Just a few parts needed assembled and installed to make it ridable,as per the rules :cry: :cry: I wanted to see how my creation stacked up against everyone else.I guess I should have started before July 4th weekend :oops: At least I ended up with a cool ride IMHO.I had a lot of fun,learned a LOT,and pushed my abilities. And that's the important thing right :)

Last year's entry:Tripolar
6020695558_2602782bef.jpg

This year, getting an early start should allow me to finish on time for judging.I've decided to build up an Elgin I picked up in January.I saw it on CL a couple times over the winter but was more than I wanted to spend.It popped up again just before my birthday at a price I could live with soooo,Happy Birthday to me!I saw subadrew had a small discussion on this forum about this bike and he passed on it.Lucky for me,I like it.I don't know much about it as far as it's date or much else for that matter.I think it was one of those models when they were changing from the 28" wheels to the 26" ballooners we all love so much.Possibly a motor bike :?: Dunno.Haven't done much research yet.I usually do that while building a bike.If any of you with knowledge about this bike care to educate me(us),feel free to chime in with your big ol' brain.

The bike as I got it.
7139446911_aac0708bea.jpg

7139447813_9a8f5f73bc.jpg

The guy I bought it from said he put it together with parts he got from the interwebs.It has Elgin finned hubs(painted black.don't know if that's how they came or Krylon) laced to EA3 type rims,also painted black. 26"x1 3/8" tires,new.Wrong size seat post.Wrong seat and bars.Here's the hubs,which I'll be using (I think)
6993362760_bf573be5a6.jpg

6993364740_cdb365dc5d.jpg

It also came with 28" raingutter fenders.
7139453573_31e4a3da93.jpg

And 28" truss fork.
7139448649_6abae30d52.jpg

This is an interesting bike to mee and I have been kind of saving it for the build-off.Since seeing it for the first time,it kind of conveys a dark personality.It has a blood red coat of paint peeking out from behind a burgundy top coat.There is no red paint on the top tube except under the seat.There appears to be white around the head tube and possibly scallops with pin stripes on the top and down tube.The burgundy paint has crazed and looks like veins with the red poking through.It also looks like it has been beaten with a chain.....repeatedly :!: You will see in later pics what I'm babbling about.This,combined with the black components,reminded me of vampires for some reason.
I'm going to build this bike with the story of the most famous "vampire" of all time:Vlad Dracul III,as inspiration.Check it out on wiwkipedia.Interesting stuff.Plus, the image search I did reflected a lot of the same colors present on this bike.Therefore,leaving the paint as/is will allow time to focus on details and painting other parts......black.Although I reserve the right to change my mind.I think I've got some cool parts and ideas to help pull off a cool bat themed ride.

First round of throwing parts at the Bat Rod!
Seat,post,bars,26x2.35rear tire,26x1.5 front,truss fork,columbia girls tank,chainguard
7139454187_d8e804ce6d_z.jpg

6993368094_84280ec440_z.jpg

6993371668_e21e975fac_z.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7225/7139 ... c8c5_z.jpg

And some fenders.
6993372394_c2c9b04d6d_z.jpg

6993373090_9ef360a7f0_z.jpg

Brooks B72,no fenders.
6993375208_1fd1239f41_z.jpg

6993374606_65634d72a9_z.jpg

That's where I'm at right now.I've got lots of other parts laying around I want to try with this bike.I see some stuff I like already.Some stuff.....not so much.I need to use up parts I've accumulated this year and have some cool stuff to choose from.The only thing I'd really like to have for this build is a Columbia chainguard to match the tank I'm using.There's a couple swaps coming up,maybe I'll get lucky.

Thank you in advance for checking out my build :D I encourage you to offer any feedback or knowledge you'd like to send my way.I especially want to thank Steve(Rat Rod) for such a great place to share this healthy addiction.Good luck to all the builders and thank you all for your inspiration :!: :!:

Thanks Peatbog.Last year's bike turned out like the picture in my head.Just late.I like where this one is going so far.Still lots of parts to try out before working on the build.Thanks for checking it out!

I remember you trike from last year, was selfishly glad you didn't finish because it probably would've cost me the 9 votes I got! :mrgreen:

This one looks promising, just keep a wooden stake nearby as you build. Good luck!

yoothgeye said:
I remember you trike from last year, was selfishly glad you didn't finish because it probably would've cost me the 9 votes I got! :mrgreen:

This one looks promising, just keep a wooden stake nearby as you build. Good luck!

Thanks yoothgeye.I liked your bike last year.I keep meaning to subscribe to your military bike.(Doing it next)Being a Gulf War vet,I appreciate people who appreciate where we got our freedoms.

MMmmm...steak!

CCR said:
I love so much about this bike the way it is right now !!! Just Awesome Man !!!

Thanks Man!I'm kinda liking so far as well.There is still so much to do.Lots of ideas bouncing around the empty space between my ears.

I remember talking alot about Tripolar over beers with Jake last year. Love that bike!
It looks like you are off to a super start this year.
I will be watching this one for sure.

Wow, like this one already! :D Nice parts so far, I'll be watching :wink:

kingfish254 said:
I remember talking alot about Tripolar over beers with Jake last year. Love that bike!
YEAH WE DID AND YOU DIDN'T FINISH!! SO I'M GONNA BE HOUNDING YOU THIS YEAR . DON'T MAKE ME COME DOWN THERE!! :mrgreen: NO SLACKIN'...GET TA BUILDIN'!! PEACE

Jake Sensi said:
kingfish254 said:
YEAH WE DID AND YOU DIDN'T FINISH!! SO I'M GONNA BE HOUNDING YOU THIS YEAR . DON'T MAKE ME COME DOWN THERE!! :mrgreen: NO SLACKIN'...GET TA BUILDIN'!! PEACE

:lol: :lol: :lol: So is that a threat,or a promise :?: If you do come here,you better bring an axe or two from the pile behind the bike in your build(especially the SG) :!: :!: Sorry to let you guys down last year :oops: This will be done!!On time!That's my top priority.

Ape Stanger said:
That's a really great bike you got there. I'm jealous of the forks :mrgreen: .

Thank you!I like a lot about the forks also.The trusses are cool,the darts look like fangs,and they complement the paint on the frame nicely.But I have a few forks I want to try out to exhaust my resources and build the best bike I can.These forks will be tough to beat,however.With all the clearance between the tire and fork crown,I can't help wondering what they would look like with a custom bend to stretch out the front a bit and put the crown on the tire :idea:

:lol: :lol: :lol: So is that a threat,or a promise :?: If you do come here,you better bring an axe or two from the pile behind the bike in your build(especially the SG) :!: :!: Sorry to let you guys down last year :oops: This will be done!!On time!That's my top priority.[/quote]
:mrgreen: YA THE FIRST TO COMMENT ON THE GUITARS. GOOD EYE! JUST LIKE THE EYES YOU HAVE ON THAT BIKE. I KNOW YOU'LL DO WELL. SO CUE UP THAT TOM PETTY "FINDING OUT" SONG AND...GTB!! PEACE

Jake Sensi said:
:lol: :lol: :lol: So is that a threat,or a promise :?: If you do come here,you better bring an axe or two from the pile behind the bike in your build(especially the SG) :!: :!: Sorry to let you guys down last year :oops: This will be done!!On time!That's my top priority.
:mrgreen: YA THE FIRST TO COMMENT ON THE GUITARS. GOOD EYE! JUST LIKE THE EYES YOU HAVE ON THAT BIKE. I KNOW YOU'LL DO WELL. SO CUE UP THAT TOM PETTY "FINDING OUT" SONG AND...GTB!! PEACE[/quote]

I'd love to :!: Any excuse to fire up some Petty.Oh,wait.Don't want to shake the neighbors out of bed...

Lovin' how the parts you picked fit so well.

Seat looks cool, but trust me.... Not comfortable for more than a few miles. :cry:

Joe

yeshoney said:
Lovin' how the parts you picked fit so well.

Seat looks cool, but trust me.... Not comfortable for more than a few miles. :cry:

Joe

Thanks Joe.Just trying to keep up with you.Not settled on anything yet beside the tank.It has lots of features to help pull off a vampire based theme.This was the first round of throwing parts at it to see what sticks.Lots of stuff I've acquired to sort through.There is lots of clearance around the rear tire so I want to get my hands on a 26x3" tire.Might need to flex the chainstays a bit but I think it would fit.Just need to find one my LBS can got.Unfortunately,the only ones I've seen online have flame tread.Maybe someone can shed some light on the matter.

Latest posts

Back