Bare Bonnie(ville) ... what a trip....... moving into the finished builds

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yea with the overall look of the bike that would be the only thing with holes in and I think it kinda clashes but final decision will be made when its all mocked up again for the hundredth time :D

I forgot that you have that big front sprocket. I have a feeling the holey rear big sprocket is going to be a nice accent. Like you said though, you never really know until you step back and see it all together.
Sick engineering, fab, and styling on the shifter linkage.
Keep plugging away brother. This is one bad ride!!!!!

I forgot that you have that big front sprocket. I have a feeling the holey rear big sprocket is going to be a nice accent. Like you said though, you never really know until you step back and see it all together.
Sick engineering, fab, and styling on the shifter linkage.
Keep plugging away brother. This is one bad ride!!!!!

Thanks I put it together somewhat today again as I am working on the seat and its starting to grow on me.
As for the different seats I tried shown on page 3 I showed 2 different seats the chrome chassis black one I think just sits to high and forward for the look. The second one I could get a little more back and lower but the long springs always bothered me since then for the more streamline look I am going for kinda gave it the early motorcycle look but the little voice in my head today kept saying need to try something else it just ain't right so came up with this rough idea no springs make a bracket maybe put a couple holes in or maybe a slot but liking the look a lot better, more sleek look which is what I am aiming for the front bracket will be flipped to the rear was just easier to clamp up or maybe as I look at it may be trimmed to flow with the side seat bracket:39:

Last edited:
got the seat pieces whipped out today heres a in progress pic. also got the front fender mounted and brake/shifter handles and top panel piece sanded and pretty much done but camera battery died on me.
Really wanted to get rear fender mounted today also but with my sprockets I need a half link which thankfully the local bike shop has one in stock picking it up in the morning as rim/tire needs to be in place before mounting rear fender then I can get shifter/brake setup completed also so hopefully lots of detail shots coming next couple days cause times a tickin.

Ran these 2 this way back in '86 up before everyone was doing the mono chrome thing. Everyone thought I was nuts at the time. 427 in the Chevelle, 454 in the truck that was named Blackout. even had moons on my car trailer :rolleyes:.
My initial thought on this build was going to be Blackout Bonnie(ville) but bareness won me over next build will be black.
(no scanner so had to take a pic of the pics.)
To bad to the bone rigs .... I'm a sucker for a square body Chevy truck . Did the black out start from burning rubber by any chance [emoji1303]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's marathon time! Lookin' good, can't wait to see the aluminum rings!

Yea marathon just got shorter 1/2 link I desperately need turned out to be a 3/16" wide instead of 1/8" one they are getting one in overnight shipping but sets me another day back where I want to be, still hope its a rider Friday.

Bonneville means speed so Bonnie went big. I was going to wait but couldn't :grin:well here is where the aluminum rings have gone custom aluminum 80 tooth sprocket 13" diameter and then I spun it to look like the Moon discs will get pics. up in full view on bike next couple days for the full effect, teaser for now:D

That is HUUUUUGGE and awesome! This just keeps getting better and better .

Soooo good!

also made a template between bars and picked up a piece of 1/8" aluminum for that and some heim joints for the brake/shift lever project.
also was thinking of doing a filler panel behind seat post to put a # on there but it's not growing on me starting to look to bulky and takes the look away from the frame, not even sure the top piece will make the cut yet, the chain ring on there now is not staying.

Think I will use these aluminum frame pedals not sure if I will get new blocks or maybe make some out of aluminum or? but time is getting short

I've seen these Gibson pedals polished out to a hi sheen without blocks and they look fantastic

Last edited by a moderator:
Missed some updates, just caught up.

WOW

Great work on the stem, and that big honking sprocket.

Thanks everyone for the + comments. I got my 1/2 link for the chain that I really needed late today so tomorrow I see lots of progress as once the rear wheel is set I can mount/modify/adjust what I need to. I am shooting for a shakedown run later Friday hopefully with detail shots and overall shots and such.

got the rear fender mounts started with these pieces on top a sleeve and a connector nut and with some grinding/filing will plug weld thru the holes and weld to fender as I need to install fenders after tires are on did similar on front.

Latest posts

Back