Bare Bonnie(ville) ... what a trip....... moving into the finished builds

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep, anything to enhance your already cool fenders works for me. TRM slice and dice on the tank is appealing......IMHO

Renaissance Man like your version of the top panel but keep going back to the full panel after multiple places trying to mount shift/brake levers as I don't want them in front with cables etc. here is where I was going with the full top panel for mounting the shift and brake lever arms, they will be 1/4" thick aluminum all rounded edge's etc. arms will probably end up being shorter, I wanted to run rods centered on seat down tube but it gets to be out to far and starts to interfere with the legs so will need to be set back and in some.
I have to be the worst in mockup pics. compared to all you other guys but cardboard is king here and didn't have any 1/4 inch rod so had to make due with 1/8 for now. LOL

I may kick around putting holes in the finished panel, but maybe the name and #. ? decisions decisions and so little time

Last edited:
In the 2nd pic, is that a shifter sticking up about 3/4 in front of the seat on the left side of the bike?
I like the hidden levers, but depending on the amount of travel needed, you may find your voice raising an octave or two when you pull on the levers.:)

In the 2nd pic, is that a shifter sticking up about 3/4 in front of the seat on the left side of the bike?
I like the hidden levers, but depending on the amount of travel needed, you may find your voice raising an octave or two when you pull on the levers.:)

LOL nope its just all background crap, levers will be same both sides, right - drive side most travel will be pushing down for upshifting and lift will prob. be around 1/2 lift for down shift but will still return to center of frame either way. left side brake will be pushing down to brake so no high octaves here thought of that :21:

got the top aluminum panel cut and fit today along with the shift lever roughed in today, if I like the shift lever when I get it done (I'm still not sure on it back end looks weird on it) will make a same second handle for brake on other side, ended up smaller than my template and may get a final cut and chopped shorter yet.
top filler panel finish yet to be determined was thinking brushed like the disc's or maybe little polished to match the polished aluminum fork piece to tie that in??
and the tools of choice after the band sawing to fit and shape.

Last edited:
top filler panel finish yet to be determined was thinking brushed like the disc's or maybe little polished to match the polished aluminum fork piece to tie that in??

Have you thought about two finishes on the same panel?
maybe a brushed look for most of the back of the panel, but selectively polished scalloped area up front. Maybe even a brushed number within the polished area. I had plans for something like that at one point, but dropped them when the polishing went well. It's a cool way to get patterns without paint. Do it with varying textures.

By the way, it scared me when I saw your beautiful fork wing followed by a pic of what I thought was a cutoff wheel before reading the post. :eek:

By the way, it scared me when I saw your beautiful fork wing followed by a pic of what I thought was a cutoff wheel before reading the post. :eek:

I have actually thought about doing that just not sure on what the final outcome will be more than likely a # then??

Working on stem this morning sanding the little chrome off that was left seen this:eek:(top photo) crack goes almost 3/4 way around so go downstairs and pull one out of my other bikes same thing only half way around :( so thinking this is a big set back then think of my yard art bike.
As rusty as this thing is stem came right out and is not cracked so back in business, forgot to take progress pics. (can see mock up pics. posts up)needs little more weld filler here and there but here it is waiting to get da bomb wings on rear.

I decided to delete my yard art bike picture as it may be a regular build at some point

Last edited:
A welding shop could save that cracked stem for not much cash...

Carl.

A welding shop could save that cracked stem for not much cash...

Carl.

Yea I could have welded it but being where it was at a stress point and these things seem to have a certain amount of cast in them. I don't need a failure down the road, where it stands now with the replacement stem I have 4+ hours in it and have more to go don't want to do it a second time:D

The two different finishes on the panel thing Kingfish mentioned, I've seen it done before where you mask off the polished area and sandblast scallops, number, ghost flames etc. Looks pretty cool. This build's coming along nicely, by the way, I love the dueling pistol looking shifter/brake.

got da bomb wings cut/ground for the stem, welded on (had to blow some more weld in the pinholes) then the start of grinding/sanding.
bars won't take much top one is just blasted yet, bottom started with 80 grit then 120 where it sits now along with stem will work them down to 4-500 grit then run them across the polishing wheel (and clear) will look basically like chrome which you need to get parts to about look like before chroming anyways.
seat frame and crank will get the same treatment.

here is where the looks going I had in the noggin for the stem.
bars and stem still need some more sanding/polishing and the nose cone finished need to weld in a collar with set screw to attach and trim, but thought I would show a quick mock up, I was going to grind the welds off the bars but kinda like it for some character,
The seat I am hoping to use what a nightmare that's going to be as its so rough for polishing guess time will tell but I cant find another that sits back and low as this one. back to work times a tickin and so much to do.

Latest posts

Back