BAD APPLE Update: DONE! (with one minor adjustment)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: BAD APPLE

great looking bike. i dig the rear end mod and i think the bars are fine it is the stem. it causes the bars to sit too high and sit out on top in the middle of nowhere. which would be fine if they were apes because they do that by them selves. but with bars like that i think a lower stem would go along way to improve the flow.

karfer67 said:
great looking bike. i dig the rear end mod and i think the bars are fine it is the stem. it causes the bars to sit too high and sit out on top in the middle of nowhere. which would be fine if they were apes because they do that by them selves. but with bars like that i think a lower stem would go along way to improve the flow.
I agree with you 100%. I think that's what's been bothering me. Right now it looks too much like a mtn bike setup instead of a drag bar look I'm going for. Thanks for your input! 8) By the way, I'm really diggin your project bike so far!

Karfer hit it right on the head. Very cool build. Make that stem disappear and it will throw that thing in to a mad stance.

Thanks guys for the great ideas & pos criticism. I have gotten many tips from watching your builds as well.

I really like the long lines that this bike is developing (did that sound...ya know....creepy :roll: ). Anyway, is there a way for you to mount the seat onto the rack itself, maybe brace it from the seatstays? It would add to the lowering effect and remove the air space under the seat.

Just designing on your dime... :mrgreen:
Good luck withthe rest of your build.

Cheers,
Dr. T

Dr. Tankenstein said:
I really like the long lines that this bike is developing (did that sound...ya know....creepy :roll: ). Anyway, is there a way for you to mount the seat onto the rack itself, maybe brace it from the seatstays? It would add to the lowering effect and remove the air space under the seat.

Just designing on your dime... :mrgreen:
Good luck withthe rest of your build.

Cheers,
Dr. T
I thought about that Doc, but the spaceliner rack is not real sturdy. Even with my skinny "BEEP" I think my 165 lbs would be too much for it. May have to figure out a way to do it though. Thanks for the input! 8)

pick said:
I thought about that Doc, but the spaceliner rack is not real sturdy. Even with my skinny "BEEP" I think my 165 lbs would be too much for it. May have to figure out a way to do it though. Thanks for the input! 8)

Don't know how serious you two are about getting the seat above the rearwheel, but what about using a frontfork to mount your seat on. Would be cool to finally have a use for those modern suspension mountainbike forks... Would make a comfy ride I guess. IF that rack fits between the forks... I've seen guys using front forks with a seat mounted here before. Love the idea, but is obvious not mine... I saw a cool red bike before, and ofcourse skipton's awesome RRBBO#4 (his avatar-bike) if I remember correctly...

I like the direction this is going, your alot farther along than I am, but I will have to also have to run extensions off the rear for clearance , I have a 64 spaceliner as well , I just can't rat it out, but always keeping an eye out for frames like that, + ?? on the bar drop..

"always keeping an eye out for frames like that" I'm with you on the frames! The spaceliner is one of my favorite styles. I was thinking about a tank & I have a few different styles, but when I put one on it, I think it covers up the very thing I like about this frame style. So, no tank for now! Thanks for lookin & I'm lookin forward to seeing your build! Thanks as well, for the input. 8)

My thoughts go out for your friend.

Another Spaceliner frame! The mock up looks really good. I agree with DrT that the extension change the dynamics of the bike so that's pretty interesting.

I totally agree about a tank covering up the best parts. I'm having issues on how to embelish my RBBOff 'Liner but not cover up the good bits. I'm glad we have at least 2 months left to get it done.

I'm looking forward to what you do next.

Best of Luck.

Took some advice from my fellow brothers on this forum today. Lowered the rack some (still would like it about 1/2 inch lower & will fix that later). Also, shortened seat tube about 1.25 in. Scrounged up another seat that fits better & fills the gap that was there before. I have about 1/2 inch clearance now between rack & seat. Also dug up another handlebar stem to lower the bars that were previously in outer space!

BEFORE:
rrbo6007.jpg

AFTER:
rrbo6008.jpg

rrbo009.jpg

rrbo010.jpg

Thanks for the pointers, guys! 8)

This thing is looking very cool! :D Can't wait to see the finshed creation.

Dr. Tankenstein said:
That seat is perfect! That's exactly the way I saw it in my mind. :roll:

Cheers,
Dr. T

I have mental telepathy, that's how I knew what you envisioned!!! :lol: :lol: :mrgreen: 8) I've had that seat forever. Was last on my rat higgins. Time for a seat change on the rat now!

Peatbog said:
rrbo6007.jpg

Hey, where did you get the miniature swing-set you have on your back rack? :mrgreen:

You like that? Just another custom touch! Wait till you see the little people that go with it! :lol: :lol: :lol:

The pic from the back looks fantastic.

The patina of the seat, rack, and frame match really well.

The bars, stem and fat back tire give it the drag bike look.

Latest posts

Back