BAD APPLE Update: DONE! (with one minor adjustment)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Here is what I'm starting with. 60's Spaceliner picked up from fellow member Marty @ 10~18Kustoms. This isn't my first bike build, but will be my first in a build off. No chance of winning, but it will be fun to try! Not sure exactly what I will end up with, but hope it is somewhat KOOL! I've been rounding up parts since Feb. & think I'm close to having everything I need for the project. More pics to come later. Game On!
swapmeetbikes003.jpg

May the best bike win!
:mrgreen:

Re: BAD APPLE

Very cool start... Dont sell yourself short in the winning category... build it with pride and let the voters decide.... As long as you enjoy what you end up with... it's a winner.... 8)

Thanks for all the positive comments & encouragement. I need all the help I can get. If I end up with a cool bike in the end, I will be satisfied, if not I'll just re-do it. That's what I love about these bikes, you can make minor changes that change the whole attitude & personality of the bike! Thanks guys!

johnp.smith said:
If you change fenders, I would be very interested in these for my bike

John: a fender change is probably in the works, but I don't know for sure, yet. I would, however like to keep the rear reflector if I don't use them. I'll keep you in mind if I don't use them.

Finally a little progress. Very little progress. I have a really good friend that has been diagnosed with one of the worst forms of brain cancer on the planet, so I have been spending as much time with him as possible. I guess working on this project is my escape from reality. Got it stripped down for mock up purposes. Trying to figure out where this will lead me. Working to find the right look before stripping off paint etc. Rear brackets are not finished yet. Boy, what a booger trying to fit 24x3 tires on the rear, but that's what I want & I will figure it out. Springer needs trimmed down & I am not using these bars. I have more parts to put on it, but at least this is a start. Most of you guys are way ahead of me, but I hope to catch up soon. This is my first entry in the build off, so I am learning a lot from the rest of you. Borrowed the rear wheel extension from "snydur's" post in the how to section. Thanks for the great idea! Anyway my buddy & best friend who is sick, loved to ride his bike. So I am keeping the "Bad Apple" name, but I am dedicating this project to my bud Dan!
rrbo6001.jpg

rrbo6002.jpg

rrbo6003.jpg

Thanks for lookin & please keep my buddy Dan Davis in your prayers. We need all the help we can get! 8)

Nice job so far, I'm also using that frame for my build. I'll be praying for your friend too. Keep up the good work!

Sorry to hear about your friend. He will be in my prayers as well.

Bike is looking good. Check out dangratsdan's Starliner. It may give you some ideas on your drop out extensions. Have you considered trimming the seat tube off to add to the streamlining of the frame?

Once again, very little progress. Didn't like the look of the rear drop out extension on my mock up, so I went back to the drawing board! Came up with this design that I think looks better. Took a piece of 1/4" steel over to a buddy of mine & he let me use his plasma cutter to cut them out. Should be plenty stout enough to support my skinny "BEEP". Haven't yet decided exactly where my holes need to be yet. This style flows better with the style of the frame in my opinion. The previous design was really just for a visual on where I want the rear wheel to sit, so it was not my plan to use it in this build. After looking at all the other participating members progress, looks like I'm a little behind so far. Hope to catch up this coming week. TONS of ideas popping up as I view the progress of you all! 8)
Old Bracket
rrbo6001-1-1-1.jpg

New & improved bracket
rrbo6004.jpg

Praying for your friend Dan.

Bike looks good!.....You are NOT behind. Still have almost 2 1/2 mos. left. Besides. The first one done...NEVER won!

KOTA said:
Praying for your friend Dan.

Bike looks good!.....You are NOT behind. Still have almost 2 1/2 mos. left. Besides. The first one done...NEVER won!
Thanks KOTA! I appreciate your comments & your prayers. Hoping to get busy on it today & post some new progress tonight!

How did you get such a fat tire in one of these narrow frames? Did you have to spread it at all?

johnp.smith said:
How did you get such a fat tire in one of these narrow frames? Did you have to spread it at all?

No, I haven't yet spread the rear of the frame, & am hoping I don't have to. I am moving the wheel back 4 to 5 inches to give me the clearance I need. Also using a 24" wheel on the rear helps, the outside diameter of the 24x3 is close to a 26" tire, but just a hair shorter. I'm gonna have to make sure the wheel is perfectly centered or I will have rubbing issues. The chain clearance will be very minimal as well, but I'm pretty sure it will clear so far. Hope to post pics later tonight.

Another mock-up. Not sure I'm going with these bars (probably not) or this seat. Seat tube will be shortened about 1.25 inches & rear of rack will be abouot 1.25 inches shorter so it hugs the top of the tire. Still messin around with the final stance of the bike before drilling another hole in each drop out extension to keep it from moving on me. Axle mount will be a groove for chain adjustment. Anyway, I guess a little progress is better than none! Got to figure out the final look, so I can get busy stripping paint etc.
rrbo6006.jpg

rrbo6.jpg

rrbo6007.jpg

Getting real excited about this build. All you guys have so many good ideas! I get motivated every time I check out the build progress going on with all the competition! So many different types of bikes, It would be really hard for me to make a choice as to one over the other. They all have their own amount of coolness!!! 8) 8)

xddorox said:
Your going about it the right way by figuring out the mechanics before doing the "pretty" stuff. I can't wait to see how you make those brackets hold. Do you plan on welding them?

Plan as of now is two more high grade 5/16" bolts to keep it from flexing or moving up or down, if that don't work welding is my only option (I suck @ welding, but can do it if necessary, may not be pretty, but it will hold). They are 1/4" thick, so don't expect much flex from side to side or top to bottom. Thanks for lookin!!

Latest posts

Back