BACK IN 74

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rat Rod

Owner & Founder
Reaction score
The seventies was a pioneering decade in the world of boys cycling. The popularity of motocross and flat track racing around the world sparked a movement of young cyclists that wanted to emulate their mud flinging heroes. Without an existing off road bicycle platform for young riders, it was only natural for them to take what they had a modify them into the first generation of BMX bikes...also know as BX bikes or Motos.

backin75.jpg

Back in 74, after 2 years of saving paper route money, Tommy finally had enough dough to buy a Sting-Ray from Gainer's Inwood Cycle in Dallas. He chose the model in opaque red with the glitter banana seat. It wasn't long after taking ownership of the bike that he decided it was time to start making some changes in order to keep up with all of his neighborhood buddies. That's where our story begins...

10175027_10203657499222475_2204856770115164692_n.jpg

Good luck Tommy Boy!

While at school today, Tommy had a hard time paying attention because he spent most of the day thinking about the movie he and his Dad had gone to see three years ago at the drive in. That scene a couple of minutes into the movie will be forever etched into his memory banks.

Last edited:
This is fun. I can relate to Tommy.

Me too!!!! After my Thunder Road MX bike was stolen I was given a hand-me-down coppertone Stingray. As soon as I could save up enough money I went to the local Kmart and bought knobby tires, BMX bars, seat, rat trap pedals and number plates. I painted the frame with black Rustoleum. I rode the crap out of that bike until the frame snapped after a few too many jumps. I'll be watching this build!

Before Tommy got his Sting-Ray, he had to walk home from school each day....strategically avoiding certain groups of older boys that enjoy making kids Tommy's age miserable. After he got his new cherry red stead, Tommy got really good at blowing past those punks by laying the hammer down and not letting up until he had made it to the trails by his house each day. He knew those trails like the back of his hand and enjoyed all of the jumps, turns and berms he and his friends had built.

moto.jpg

Now Tommy was supposed to hit the books once he got home in the afternoons, but his first issue of Bicycle Motocross News had arrived in the mailbox that day so he decided to grab a grape soda from the fridge and kick back on the sofa and soak in all of the moto goodness he could.

After flipping through a few pages he came across an ad for bicycle motocross races coming up in June out in California. His eyes lit up! Tommy dreamt of one day making it out to California to race, after all, there wasn't much BMX action in his part of the world and he'd seen footage on TV of all the awesome racing that goes on out west. Tommy tore the ad out and was going to strategically hang it from the ice box door.

I saw On any Sunday 1 and 2 with my Dad this is going to be so cool!!

After school today, Tommy and his buddy Stuart met up at the bike rack. They hopped on their rides and headed home.

They decided they would ride by Inwood Cycle on the way to see if anything cool made its way into the dumpster. First they had to make a pit stop by the Quick-E-Mart and grab a Slushy and some Pop Rocks.

Not a whole lot in the dumpster today, but Tommy spotted something silver down in the corner buried under some old rags. After making the dive in, he emerged with these....

struts.jpg

He knew exactly what they were for and couldn't wait to get home and try them out.

Last edited:
Interesting introduction. These bikes came after my time, but my boys had one that lived two lives. Oldest boy got one new, actually a Sears brand. I rebuilt it for the younger son around '79. Would tommy be related to Rat Rod?

Something you guys might not know about Tommie, I mean he is an allright kid and all, except when him and that boy cut across my grass...
Them boys listen to all that new racket on the radio, I mean, look at the stuff I had to endure just yesterday:
1) The Way We Were - Memories, Barbra Streisand
2. Seasons In the Sun, Terry Jacks
3. Love's Theme, Love Unlimited Orchestra
4. Come and Get Your Love, Redbone
5. Dancing Machine, The Jackson 5
6. The Loco-Motion, Grand Funk Railroad
7. T.S.O.P. (The Sound of Philadelphia), MFSB
8. The Streak, Ray Stevens
9. Bennie and the Jets, Elton John
10. One heck of a Woman, Mac Davis

I actually danced around a little when I heard Grand Funky Railroad.

Latest posts

Back