b.o.b.o.b. (putting unwanted exercycles parts to good use)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no matter how fun a project is, sometimes ya just get burned out.
i could tell i was starting to loose steam on my build off bike. so this is my build off, burn out build. :)

i'm sure you know, yesterday i was at the brantford vintage bicycle show. too much fun! way too many cool bikes and well it inspired me to build. this is just a quick side project. i don't want to take too much time away from my rrbbo entry.

picked up a schwinn xr-7 a couple weeks back.
IMG_3597.jpg

i wanted the sprocket for my bbo entry, but without changing the frame, it just wasn't gonna happen!
little did i know!
its been sitting in my back yard ever since.
yesterday i managed to get on old schwinn frame for $10 and the idea was born.
IMG_0153-1.jpg

use up those gosh darn exercycle parts!

so heres the concept, schwinn frame collides with xr7
IMG_0170.jpg

IMG_0173-1.jpg

this is just another "using up what i got kinda build" ratty in it's truest form (well imo at least)
i love the giant sprocket idea. think i'm gonna go bigger and include the chainguard!

started by drilling out the rivets in the flywheel to seperate the two 1/2's.
inside i found a metal weight and black rubber edging. (which i might still use)
to my surprize the flywheel fit right over the one side of my shimano 3 speed hub.

IMG_0175.jpg

and its almost a prefect match to the rim (if i use the black rubber seal, it fills the tiny gap between rim and wheel cover)

IMG_0174-1.jpg

the sprocket side on the otherhand is gonna need some fabrication, but i think it will be well worth the effort.

even with a huge shim. the main sprocket still rub's the frame. yup we're gonna have to mod the frame just a little.
IMG_0176-1.jpg

whats that you said? is that a 1" threadless headset on an old schwinn frame? how does he do such wonderful things you say
well todays your lucky day, i'm gonna tell ya. :)
ya use your dremel to take a little off the race, a little off the headtube (inside)
ya throw the race in the freezer, torch the head tube and very very gently, ya beat the heck out of itwith a hammer (and a block of wood to protect your investment.) :)
IMG_0177-1.jpg

the forks are a set of triple trees from a cheap canadian tire full suspension bike.
the fork tubes themselfs are just stainless tubing with my custom flame drop outs (built a while back)
the xr7 speedo is coo also
IMG_0179-1.jpg

IMG_0178-1.jpg

all the xr7 parts are top notch due to a life indoors. its supplied me with all the bearings/nut's/bolts etc that i need, all in almost new condition.
if it stops raining, perhaps i'll bang this one out. later i'll use it as a platform to practice some pinstriping.

thx rob!
and here i thought the $75 rusty bike was the bee's knee's.
shoulda bought all 3 schwinn frames. :)

jandroart said:
that build is going to be killer!!!

i've been thinking, with a giant flywheel in the back (this is heavier than most wheel covers)
3 speed gearing and no real place for a decent set of rear brakes.....
this may very well be a "killer build" :shock:

but on a positive note, that sprocket thing, weren't no thang at all! :)
i just had to cut enough room for the dust cover. there was practically a perfectly placed circular
impression in the steel . just followed it with a dremel sanding drum.
IMG_0182.jpg

some foam tape (they sit on the spokes) and a handful of ss nuts n bolts is all i require!

LOVE IT!
I was wondering when a large chain sprocket was gonna appear on here from you.
I noticed it wasn't on the Skull-o-sis "yet". :lol:

FOUND OBJECTS said:
LOVE IT!
I was wondering when a large chain sprocket was gonna appear on here from you.
I noticed it wasn't on the Skull-o-sis "yet". :lol:

buddy you have no idea, how much i just wanted to cut the frame on skull-o-sis, weld it back up and have done with it. that sprocket would have looked at home on skull-o-sis. was gonna knock myself right out of the build off.
>< this close i tell ya. had to fight every ounce of my being to play by the rules and stick with the program.

man am i glad i did. almost like fate things didn't work out and i had all the parts i needed for an old stripped schwinn frame. didn't even have to go looking for em. they were right in the back yard.
had i of known, i probably wouldn't have left the spotless crank sitting outside in the rain for a week. oh well a little polishing to do.

btw, i'm allowed to change bikes once for my build entry, right? :lol: :lol: :lol:

that is just plain sick. you should use the rear wheel weight and a drop stand. imagine getting it on the stand spinning it up then drop it off the stand i am thinking burnout lol. love the lines of this bike it just works

icyuod2 said:
ya use your dremel to take a little off the race, a little off the headtube (inside)
ya throw the race in the freezer, torch the head tube and very very gently, ya beat the heck out of itwith a hammer (and a block of wood to protect your investment.) :)
RIGHT ON!
I thought about doing just that.....but I never had the guts to give it a try :roll:
Thanks for all the great info
Bike is KILLER! :mrgreen:

Just needed something to keep you busy? That thing is Bad A.. it does look right. Are there 2 wheel disks?

no just one wheel disk (2 halves)
7696jhb_19-1.jpg

i'd search for another, but 2 i think would be a little heavy.

couple quick pic's of the clearance issues i had to deal with
first, i had to grind one 1/2 of the wheel disks to fit over the sprocket side dust cover.
IMG_0187.jpg

also had to make room for the crank sprocket. ratty engineering at its finest. (heat and beat!)
IMG_0184-1.jpg

IMG_0185.jpg

put the rubber trim back on the wheel disks. its a flawless match and seat up tight against the rim.
they pinch the rim tight and should allow me to use the fly wheel as a breaking surface.
IMG_0190-1.jpg

that would be a 64 tooth front sprocket. :)

FOUND OBJECTS said:
You never stop to amaze me man ...
You could win the build off with either bike :lol:

this was a pretty straight forward build (pick up parts in the back yard and assemble.) :)
i don't know if its an rrbbo contender, theres some off the hook builds this year.
none the less, i appreciate the comment just the same. thx bud!

so heres your chance to get your 2 cents in on my build.
i hate picking bars, i have so many here and they can drasticly change the dirrection of the build.

i've norrowed it down to 4 options i have on hand.
IMG_0192-1.jpg

IMG_0193-1.jpg

IMG_0198.jpg

IMG_0199-1.jpg

IMG_0197-2.jpg

IMG_0196.jpg

IMG_0194-1.jpg

IMG_0195.jpg

so what do you guys n gals think?
i'm leaning towards the apes or cruiser bars myself.

first set of bars. this thing has that drag bike/ downhill gravity bike look goin on. :D

Latest posts

Back